Mid 30's gay couple sailing on HAL? Thoughts?

maxamuus

The first cruise my partner and I took together was on HAL and we experienced homophobia from the passengers. This was 9 years ago and we were in our late 20s on the Zuiderdam in the Caribbean. The people at our table made it clear that they did not enjoy our presence at their table. Also, my partner is from Taiwan and one passenger actually came up to him and gave him a drink order. My partner had to explain to him that he was also a passenger and not a HAL employee.

Except for the homophobic table mates, we had a decent time on HAL. However, the entire experience has made us sour towards sharing a table with other guests. Fortunately, Celebrity has Blu with tables for 2 and we are going to try free style dining with NCL later this year and next year.

My partner's Singeporean. Luckily nothing like that ever happened to us. We've never had any issues on Cunard.We did see a woman giving the old "hairy eyeball" to a few guys in the FOD meetings.

The first cruise my partner and I took together was on HAL and we experienced homophobia from the passengers. This was 9 years ago and we were in our late 20s on the Zuiderdam in the Caribbean. The people at our table made it clear that they did not enjoy our presence at their table. Also, my partner is from Taiwan and one passenger actually came up to him and gave him a drink order. My partner had to explain to him that he was also a passenger and not a HAL employee.

Except for the homophobic table mates, we had a decent time on HAL. However, the entire experience has made us sour towards sharing a table with other guests. Fortunately, Celebrity has Blu with tables for 2 and we are going to try free style dining with NCL later this year and next year.

First off it's not THEIR table. It's for the guests who sit there.

Is it freestyle in that there is a table for two or do they place you with other people? I am waiting for HAL's 2014 schedule to come out. We may give them another try in 2014.

You can ask for whatever you like, a table for 2 or to sit with other people. Or you can arrange to meet others that you like to be seated together. It is even possible to make a reservation in advance. We like to meet others and usually ask to be seated at a table for 6 or 8. No more sitting with the same people night after night.

My partner and i are looking at a Trans-canal cruise on HAL in the fall. I have read that HAL is generally a MUCH older crowd. With that and this being a 14 day cruise im guessing it would be even more so.

Just curious in general have any of you gay couples sailed HAL ? Were you recieved ok ? We arent lovey dovey in public but make no qualms that we are a couple. Just worried with the older crowd they might be closed minded about a gay couple at their table etc.

I know every cruise is differnt just wonder if anyone had a overall feel for sailing while gay on HAL.

In all seriousness, we took Zuiderdam to the Southern Carib in 2010 and will never go HAL again. Their mailings don't even make it in the house - they get dumped right in the recycling bin. A review of that cruise is at the bottom of my signature. And just in case you were wondering, I'm the opposite of a hard-to-please 'diva.' Usually I'm the guy stopping the manager to compliment his/her staff and express our gratitude. Going with the flow is how I live - especially when I'm in the middle of the ocean - but the service & accommodations on this ship were too much for even me.

I will say that the ports were great and we came back on from one with a full bottle of Vodka (it went right through the scanner with no questions). Perhaps we had been spoiled by the larger ships and broader age range on RCL so the small, outdated ship and the fact that the entire "promenade" consisted of one souvenir / liquor shop & one jewelry store didn't sit well. Two memories stand out from that cruise:

1. Before we even left port, I said "Pardon me, I'm a medic, can I help?" THREE times.

2. One night we left the theatre after the late show and walking back to our cabin (keep in mind that's just one side of a single level), we passed by SIX scooters / wheelchairs.

I will give them credit on their corrective measures, however. Early in the cruise they left a comment card in the cabins. I sent back 3 pages (8 1/2 x 5 1/2) detailing our service experiences. I got stopped in the stairwell 2 days later by the Hotel Mgr making sure we got the champagne & chocolate-covered strawberries he'd sent to our room - and since I'd never met the man I was baffled as to how he recognized me. On the last night I finally broke the waiter down into confessing that all of the staff knew who we were because they were shown our boarding photos and told to do whatever it took to make us happy. Unfortunately it was too late to erase our memory, and knowing that the median age begins with a '6' or '7' just caused us to mark HAL off our list.

In all seriousness, we took Zuiderdam to the Southern Carib in 2010 and will never go HAL again. Their mailings don't even make it in the house - they get dumped right in the recycling bin. A review of that cruise is at the bottom of my signature. And just in case you were wondering, I'm the opposite of a hard-to-please 'diva.' Usually I'm the guy stopping the manager to compliment his/her staff and express our gratitude. Going with the flow is how I live - especially when I'm in the middle of the ocean - but the service & accommodations on this ship were too much for even me.

I will say that the ports were great and we came back on from one with a full bottle of Vodka (it went right through the scanner with no questions). Perhaps we had been spoiled by the larger ships and broader age range on RCL so the small, outdated ship and the fact that the entire "promenade" consisted of one souvenir / liquor shop & one jewelry store didn't sit well. Two memories stand out from that cruise:

1. Before we even left port, I said "Pardon me, I'm a medic, can I help?" THREE times.

2. One night we left the theatre after the late show and walking back to our cabin (keep in mind that's just one side of a single level), we passed by SIX scooters / wheelchairs.

I will give them credit on their corrective measures, however. Early in the cruise they left a comment card in the cabins. I sent back 3 pages (8 1/2 x 5 1/2) detailing our service experiences. I got stopped in the stairwell 2 days later by the Hotel Mgr making sure we got the champagne & chocolate-covered strawberries he'd sent to our room - and since I'd never met the man I was baffled as to how he recognized me. On the last night I finally broke the waiter down into confessing that all of the staff knew who we were because they were shown our boarding photos and told to do whatever it took to make us happy. Unfortunately it was too late to erase our memory, and knowing that the median age begins with a '6' or '7' just caused us to mark HAL off our list.

Judging by your profile pic, you guys don't seem so far from a 6 or a 7 either. We're 50/57 & never minded the age on board. We do Cunard, which has an older age range as well. The large mix of internationals makes it a good leaning experience. We've met many foreigners at the GBLT meetings.

Judging by your profile pic, you guys don't seem so far from a 6 or a 7 either. We're 50/57 & never minded the age on board. We do Cunard, which has an older age range as well. The large mix of internationals makes it a good leaning experience. We've met many foreigners at the GBLT meetings.

image.php?u=628889&dateline=1339460722&type=profile

This photo was taken on our first cruise, which my partner (right) booked in hopes it would take my mind off grieving the passing of my grandmother 2 months prior. I had been her primary caretaker for the last 4 months of her life, during which she turned 96 and, 5 days later, I turned 36. So if you need to use this picture for an ad hominem attack based in the bitterness you're projecting, go ahead. I feel sorry that something in your life has led you to such a perspective.

I've never had the audacity to think of anyone's age as something I "minded" or not. The 60-, 70-, and 80-year old cruisers are HAL's target market and, as learned in Marketing 101, HAL caters to them through scheduling and entertainment selections. HAL's choice to do so left my partner and I with few activity options after 2100 or 2200hrs. Activities factor into our choice of preferred cruiselines, regardless of whether or not you think that's right. Furthermore, we've never met any 'foreigners' on a cruise. Only an American elitist would refer to a non-American sailing international waters on a ship registered in The Netherlands as a "foreigner." We're all 'foreigners' in that situation, and simply members of one race: the human race. Good day and godspeed.

This photo was taken on our first cruise, which my partner (right) booked in hopes it would take my mind off grieving the passing of my grandmother 2 months prior. I had been her primary caretaker for the last 4 months of her life, during which she turned 96 and, 5 days later, I turned 36. So if you need to use this picture for an ad hominem attack based in the bitterness you're projecting, go ahead. I feel sorry that something in your life has led you to such a perspective.

I've never had the audacity to think of anyone's age as something I "minded" or not. The 60-, 70-, and 80-year old cruisers are HAL's target market and, as learned in Marketing 101, HAL caters to them through scheduling and entertainment selections. HAL's choice to do so left my partner and I with few activity options after 2100 or 2200hrs. Activities factor into our choice of preferred cruiselines, regardless of whether or not you think that's right. Furthermore, we've never met any 'foreigners' on a cruise. Only an American elitist would refer to a non-American sailing international waters on a ship registered in The Netherlands as a "foreigner." We're all 'foreigners' in that situation, and simply members of one race: the human race. Good day and godspeed.

Well stated.

No insult, guys, but your pic makes you look much older than you say you are..I never said anything bitter, but your response seems to indicate you are.

No insult, guys, but your pic makes you look much older than you say you are..I never said anything bitter, but your response seems to indicate you are.

Seriously, Keith? The only thing more catty than your initial comment is your standing behind it.

Seriously, Keith? The only thing more catty than your initial comment is your standing behind it.

Oh, get off you damn high horse. There was NOTHING catty in what I said. The pic they have doesn't really do them justice..I'm sorry but it makes them look older than they are.We ALL have had pics that aren't that flattering. These guys should have studied more about HAL. Just checking the HAL board & you get an idea that it caters to an older, more mature demographic, as does Cunard. We like Cunard for the international mix. I'm sorry they took umbridge at the word foreigner. It was not meant in any way to be insulting. The deal about the scooters..I don't seem to see you taking offence to that. We see them all the time on Cunard,never phased us in anyway. So lighten up,ok?

The problem of going to the HAL board is that the people there will tell you that the line caters to ALL ages and they just spout the PR material they have read online or been told onboard, more or less in the same way that you constantly are saying how Cunard evokes the traditions of cruising. Honestly, do you think you and your Singaporean lover would be welcomed in the "golden age of cruising" that you think Cunard stands for? I imagine not.

Blaming a poster because they minded not being well cared for by a cruise line is a little jaded.

The problem of going to the HAL board is that the people there will tell you that the line caters to ALL ages and they just spout the PR material they have read online or been told onboard, more or less in the same way that you constantly are saying how Cunard evokes the traditions of cruising. Honestly, do you think you and your Singaporean lover would be welcomed in the "golden age of cruising" that you think Cunard stands for? I imagine not.

Blaming a poster because they minded not being well cared for by a cruise line is a little jaded.

I guess not. I mean after 7 cruises, where much of the staff knows us by our first names & offers free drinks(which could get them in real hot water) I guess if our trips on Cunard were so terrible, why would we cruise them over & over? Masochistic? Well maybe. I feel bad that PolarisKale didn't have a great cruise. At least the staff did try to make some amends. Still, it's pretty common knowledge that HAL caters to an older crowd. This is changing on some(not all) of their newer ships. The average age on HAL & Cunard, for that fact is generally well over 65. It changes somewhat based on cruise destinations & such. We've never had an issue on Cunard. We like to think the international "mix" is more worldly & accepting. Unfortunately Cunard is scaling back their Caribbean destinations & we have to start looking elsewhere. Being in the catering business, summer is obviously our peak season & we have to look at the late fall to early spring to travel. We've always enjoyed the "Golden Age" of liner travel that you mention. It's not for everyone, but we like it. I guess Richard & I are a boring couple, but rock wall climbing/corney pool entertainment & such just isn't our schtick.

Oh,yeah, one last thing: He's my Singaporean spouse. We were married 2 years ago. In NH it's legal.

My partner and i are looking at a Trans-canal cruise on HAL in the fall. I have read that HAL is generally a MUCH older crowd. With that and this being a 14 day cruise im guessing it would be even more so.

I have only been on HAL for RSVP charters, but when HAL's straight, male cruise director tells everyone in the theater that "next week it's back to the OMPs" (Old Mean People), I would be hesitant to do a straight cruise on HAL. Bars close at 9pm, for example.

As an alternative, might I suggest you look at doing the Panama Canal itinerary on the Norwegian Pearl? The Pearl is one of NCL's most popular ships, and its restaurants, entertainment, and amenities might be much better suited to a 30-something couple. The vibe and the clientel would be much younger, and they also have GLBT events most nights up in the Star Bar. They sail once a year in both directions. Good luck with your selection.

I think you just need to think about what about cruising appeals to you and your partner. HAL does have a quieter, more refined experience over some other cruise lines. That's why some of us love it.

If you are looking for a late night party atmosphere, belly flop and hairy chest contests by the pool, wave riders, rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks, etc., another cruise line may suit you better.

In my early years of cruising I would have liked that. Now that I am mid 40s, not so much. I enjoy the atmosphere on HAL. Not everyone does.

I can only tell you that on my 7 day Alaska R/T out of Seattle on the Rotterdam, there were GLBT meetings every day at 5pm in one of the lounges. However, it was just something on the schedule - it was not hosted by HAL. One day one of the entertainers showed up, but that was it. The rest of us enjoyed meeting for cocktails prior to dinner, and a few nights went into the hot tubs/pool while it was deserted.

Also, no one, passengers or crew, batted an eye at us. We went to a CC Meet and Greet, where, yes, we were the youngest in attendance. But we met a bunch of nice people we enojyed running across throughout the cruise.

There are lots of choices. Best of luck finding a ship and line that suits you.

I'd like to know where you and your partner were at the time this happened? Was it at the MDR, a pub or a bar? I'm Filipino and out of the 3 cruises that I have taken, I have never been mistaken for an employee (so far) and as you know, the cruise lines employ TONS of Filipinos. Also, cruise employees wear uniforms and name tags and this person who proceeded to ask your partner for a drink order apparently was not very observant. Frankly, I don't know how I would have reacted if that same guest gave me a drink order. I'm a fairly nice guy but in that case, I think I would have gone "Asian" on him/her. :p

The bars on HAL do NOT close at 9PM. I agree that there isn't a lot of late-night activity, but there are usually a few hanging on 'til after midnight. And on some HAL cruises, quite a few still dancing up in the Crows Nest.

HAL also has programs for children that keep them out of the way for most of the day. And most of the parents on not in their 60s and 70s. The majority of HAL passengers are older, but not all of them. The longer the cruise, the higher the average age, in general. Young families aren't as likely to be able to be away for 2 weeks on a cruise.

I'd like to know where you and your partner were at the time this happened? Was it at the MDR, a pub or a bar? I'm Filipino and out of the 3 cruises that I have taken, I have never been mistaken for an employee (so far) and as you know, the cruise lines employ TONS of Filipinos. Also, cruise employees wear uniforms and name tags and this person who proceeded to ask your partner for a drink order apparently was not very observant. Frankly, I don't know how I would have reacted if that same guest gave me a drink order. I'm a fairly nice guy but in that case, I think I would have gone "Asian" on him/her. :p

It's been 10 years since the event happened but I remember we were standing and there were a lot of people standing, too. So it may have been at a reception. I think we were dressed up but I can't really remember the details. Sadly, I remember very little of the Zuiderdam except for the events that I described in my initial email. That and an arrogant guy that we me at one of the FOD.

We were thinking about going to Alaska with HAL but it was also on the Zuiderdam and I read that she isn't aging very well. I'm surprised that HAL isn't building new ships considering Celebrity, Princess, RCL and NCL are.

Schplinky - Thanks for standing up for me/us.

Keith - When I read your response, my immediate reaction was "MEOW!!! Does someone need some milk?" so I'm going to have to call BS on the "No insult" and "There was NOTHING catty in what I said" lines.

You can see in my signature (if you squint at the RCL badge really closely) that I'll be hitting the big 4-0 at sea in September and, quite frankly, I don't think I look a day over 50. I've always looked older than my age, to the point that I've only been carded once in my life - and she was so blind she was carding me for a SoBe Energy Drink! No one else with good vision would think I'm the spry age of 40, but 60 or 70... meh...

Yes, Keith, had I gone to the HAL boards, I might have noticed a couple posts about Ethel enjoying her 90th birthday at sea, or how Walter nearly broke a hip playing shuffleboard. However, it was on HAL that I first learned of CruiseCritic.com, so I had no clue there were 'HAL boards.' As I said in the review, our neighbor (roughly our age) said we would be "so impressed with the luxury and classy service," that it would be "like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes." She must have been mad at me that day. Everyone else said pretty much what Schplinky said they would - the politically-correct marketing material: "Oh, you'll love it. You might find a slightly more mature cruiser..." and such. Could I have found better examples for why we no longer sail HAL? Yes, and I curtsy to you, Keith, in apology.

Simply put, I overlook incidents where an organization isn't properly prepared for the unusual. For example, Disney not knowing how to deal with two gay guys on the dance floor? Not their usual clientele. Cunard not understanding half my family? Oh well...you can't expect EVERYONE to speak Redneck. It's when the marketing boasts mastery of a niche, only to fail miserably at it that I, as a business owner & professional, get upset. Two hours after embarkation being confined to spaces without air conditioning, a 20-minute delay responding to a woman presenting with cardiac symptoms, a 30-minute gap from dining room seating to the assistant waiter finally asking if we wanted water? These are the things that really chapped my hide. And trust me, I know what chaps feel like! :D

We wanted to see those ports and the Panama Canal, and Zuiderdam was the only viable option we had. We loved the ports, had great entertainment (even becoming friends with the headliner, who joined us zip-lining the Costa Rican rainforest), and a HAL staff member hosted every day's FOD meeting (one said it's part of HAL's policy - written or not, I don't know). Unfortunately I made the error of ending my post on the "median age begins with a '6' or '7'" line without explaining that we are rock-climbing or on FlowRider nearly every day and hadn't prepared ourselves for the slower pace to which HAL has - wisely - geared their ships' activities & amenities.

So, now, let's all take our glasses (drinking - not eyewear - can't see a dang thing without them) and raise them high to a lesson well learned.

Keith - When I read your response, my immediate reaction was "MEOW!!! Does someone need some milk?" so I'm going to have to call BS on the "No insult" and "There was NOTHING catty in what I said" lines.

You can see in my signature (if you squint at the RCL badge really closely) that I'll be hitting the big 4-0 at sea in September and, quite frankly, I don't think I look a day over 50. I've always looked older than my age, to the point that I've only been carded once in my life - and she was so blind she was carding me for a SoBe Energy Drink! No one else with good vision would think I'm the spry age of 40, but 60 or 70... meh...

Yes, Keith, had I gone to the HAL boards, I might have noticed a couple posts about Ethel enjoying her 90th birthday at sea, or how Walter nearly broke a hip playing shuffleboard. However, it was on HAL that I first learned of CruiseCritic.com, so I had no clue there were 'HAL boards.' As I said in the review, our neighbor (roughly our age) said we would be "so impressed with the luxury and classy service," that it would be "like going from a Yugo to a Mercedes." She must have been mad at me that day. Everyone else said pretty much what Schplinky said they would - the politically-correct marketing material: "Oh, you'll love it. You might find a slightly more mature cruiser..." and such. Could I have found better examples for why we no longer sail HAL? Yes, and I curtsy to you, Keith, in apology.

Simply put, I overlook incidents where an organization isn't properly prepared for the unusual. For example, Disney not knowing how to deal with two gay guys on the dance floor? Not their usual clientele. Cunard not understanding half my family? Oh well...you can't expect EVERYONE to speak Redneck. It's when the marketing boasts mastery of a niche, only to fail miserably at it that I, as a business owner & professional, get upset. Two hours after embarkation being confined to spaces without air conditioning, a 20-minute delay responding to a woman presenting with cardiac symptoms, a 30-minute gap from dining room seating to the assistant waiter finally asking if we wanted water? These are the things that really chapped my hide. And trust me, I know what chaps feel like! :D

We wanted to see those ports and the Panama Canal, and Zuiderdam was the only viable option we had. We loved the ports, had great entertainment (even becoming friends with the headliner, who joined us zip-lining the Costa Rican rainforest), and a HAL staff member hosted every day's FOD meeting (one said it's part of HAL's policy - written or not, I don't know). Unfortunately I made the error of ending my post on the "median age begins with a '6' or '7'" line without explaining that we are rock-climbing or on FlowRider nearly every day and hadn't prepared ourselves for the slower pace to which HAL has - wisely - geared their ships' activities & amenities.

So, now, let's all take our glasses (drinking - not eyewear - can't see a dang thing without them) and raise them high to a lesson well learned.

Sorry, but your profile pic is really small. It just made you guys look older. there was never any nastiness intended. I'm sorry if you & others took it that way.HAL is scewed more towards the older crowd, same as Cunard. That can change quite a bit on shorter trips on their smaller ships. At least they tried to make some amends. Too bad they weren't more forth coming in that area.

No need to curtsy to me..we all save that for the queen, but enough about my spouse.I guess a good way to check destinations is to go to some cruise vacation websites.(such as this one) I'd love to recommend some, but they usually get removed by this website's hosts.. Check Princess/RCCL/NCL/Carnival & others. List the destination & hopefully some places you'd like to visit will pop up. Whenever you see some of that "political" correctness in the brochures, definatly read between the lines.

Oh yeah, by the way go to your local book store & buy(or check online)the "Berlitz" cruise guide. It really gives a great review of nearly all the ships out there, as well as a good review of all the cruiselines.This will get around all the tech. BS that the brochures ttry to pull on you.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread. My partner of 12 years and I will be guests of my parents on the Maasdam New England / Canada cruise August 18-25, 2012, and are looking forward to it. Travelling with a total of 16 family members spanning 4 generations as we celebrate the parents' 60th anniversary--I'm sure it will be a fun time.

My first cruise was on HAL, again a large family affair, when we did the Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the Volendam, September 8-15, 2003. My partner was not on that trip, so I didn't have the experience of being recognized as part of a gay couple, but I did have a very enjoyable time.

Since then, he and I have been on one Atlantis cruise--the Baltic July 12-19, 2008--which we both loved.

We're looking to do the Alaska Inside Passage together with another gay couple in 2014. I'd prefer to do that via RSVP or Atlantis.

BTW, this is my first post here. Nice to find there's plenty of representation of the GLBT community on CC!

Interesting thread. My partner of 12 years and I will be guests of my parents on the Maasdam New England / Canada cruise August 18-25, 2012, and are looking forward to it. Travelling with a total of 16 family members spanning 4 generations as we celebrate the parents' 60th anniversary--I'm sure it will be a fun time.

My first cruise was on HAL, again a large family affair, when we did the Alaska Inside Passage cruise on the Volendam, September 8-15, 2003. My partner was not on that trip, so I didn't have the experience of being recognized as part of a gay couple, but I did have a very enjoyable time.

Since then, he and I have been on one Atlantis cruise--the Baltic July 12-19, 2008--which we both loved.

We're looking to do the Alaska Inside Passage together with another gay couple in 2014. I'd prefer to do that via RSVP or Atlantis.

BTW, this is my first post here. Nice to find there's plenty of representation of the GLBT community on CC!

Yeah, we do get around!

We cruised Hal to the Panama in 2007 - traveled with another couple. We are not overtly out. But we are a couple and do not hide that fact; neither do our travel companions. We had no issue's what so ever. The Norther Lights Bar was quite empty - LOL - we danced with each other no problem. I would never hesitate to cruise Hal and we are doing so in September of this year to Alaska.

Barb

Archived