Would I Be Crazy To.........

I have today only to go from an aft JS to an inside gty to save 1100.00. 5 night Explorer to Bermuda

Me and my 2 daughters. We will be on NCL a month before to Bermuda as well in a deluxe owners suite.

Is downgrading worth a 1100 refund. Inhale never stayed in an inside cabin before.

Help me.......

I have today only to go from an aft JS to an inside gty to save 1100.00. 5 night Explorer to Bermuda

Me and my 2 daughters. We will be on NCL a month before to Bermuda as well in a deluxe owners suite.

Is downgrading worth a 1100 refund. Inhale never stayed in an inside cabin before.

Help me.......

• Entertainment is the same regardless of the cabin
  • Food is the same regardless of the cabin
  • You have access to all of the same features of the ship regardless of the cabin
  • $1,1000.00 savings is priceless !

You won't be spending much time in the cabin anyway so save the $1,1000.00 and use it towards all your extra expenses.

DITTO !!

• Entertainment is the same regardless of the cabin
  • Food is the same regardless of the cabin
  • You have access to all of the same features of the ship regardless of the cabin
  • $1,1000.00 savings is priceless !

You won't be spending much time in the cabin anyway so save the $1,1000.00 and use it towards all your extra expenses.

I think you'll get a lot of opinions about this choice! The way I see it, there are some things to consider...

-are you and your daughters likely to want to spend time on the balcony? have breakfast on the balcony?

-or are you more likely to be out and about on the ship?

-how many sea days do you have?

-does being in close quarters (the inside - it'll be tight with 3) bother you?

-how old are your daughters? (if they're older teens/adults, I might keep the JS)

-can you squeeze out another cruise with that $1100?

-can you put up with a little discomfort and close quarters after cruising in style on the last one? It will be a bit of a shock!

I've done insides before, and they were fine, but there were only two of us. I guess I'd probably save the money if it were just DH and me. If you decide to save the $$ and take the inside, bring a low light nightlight with you - inside cabins are DARK! Also be sure to bring a travel alarm because there's no light to wake you up in the morning. Make the best decision for you and go for it - have a great cruise!

Judy

Personally, an aft JS is worth the extra $$. I couldn't sail in a cabin without a balcony, let alone without a window to know if it's day or night. But that's a personal preference. While some folks see their cabin as a sleeping/showering/changing room, I see it as personal retreat where I can enjoy the ocean view in privacy without fighting for a lounger or getting out of my pjs first thing in the am -- to me, priceless.

But if budget is important, then of course save the $$.

I would save the money and put that money towards another cruise. I had a balcony on last cruise and I saw a js balcony and I was so glad that I didn't upgrade from my d1 to js because they aren't that much bigger, just my opinion, I don't think balconies are worth the money if your an active person, I've been to Alaska and I would say YES you have to have a balcony, but for Caribbean, save your money, jmo :)

Ughhhh. I am soooooo torn

It is me, my newly married 28 year old daughter and my 16 year old.

This is a girls only 5 nighter to celebrate my daughters sweet 16 birthday

My married daughter is not coming on the NCL trip the month before.

I do not think I would mind the inside. Sitting on the balcony while the ship is moving makes me seasick. My soon to be 16 never complains about anything. My oldest is a COMPLAINER. I discussed it with her and she was not happy. She is paying for herself and the 3rd pass savings is obviously not as large as 1st and 2nd so she is not losing much by staying with the JS.

To my surprise RC online let me put a hold on the inside GTY for 24hrs

My final payment on the JS is due tomorrow at 5pm. So I need to make a decision.

It is hard to answer for you. We all have different incomes, expences, and cash flow. Sounds like your cash flow is in the high positive with that many cruises in store. That is quite exciting!

For me, I think if the cruise is port extensive, like a port everyday, I would personally go for an inside or window. If there are days on the ship, then a balcony.

I dont know? It is hard!

We did a balcony on FOS because it was my 50th bday gift. My wealthy brother threw in some cash too (as my bday gift) We loved the balcony and I would really hate to go to inside or window, but it is what it is

I've been in all types of cabins and at the end it depends on what you are expecting in a cabin. If you only use the cabin to sleep and change then an inside will do. If you like spending time in your cabin then it might not be what you want. I personally like the idea of using the savings for another cruise.

We are not rich LOL. I live for vacation. We usually take one large trip a year and if we can squeeze in another we do.

The NCL is our big trip. We had a family suite booked and prices went down so much that we were able to upgrade to a deluxe owners suite for 500 total more. We are 5 in our room so I was happy to pay the 500 as that cabin comes with 3 bottles of liquor and a bottle of champagne, soda and bottled water. Well worth the 500!!

I can only speak for myself but there is no way I would give up a JS for an inside, especially when you do not know the specific cabin and location. The space, the balcony, the double C & A, etc. are worth a lot to me.

However, you know your finances better than anyone else, do what is best for your family. No matter what you choose, I sincerely hope you and your daughters have a great cruise.

Given that you probably wouldnt spend much time on the balcony anyway since you said it makes you sea sick, and you also said you dont mind if your in an inside cabin, and you love to take vacations (just like me!) I would save the money and move to inside cabin. $1,100 is enough for a whole other cruise! Personally, this is a no-brainer for me.

Most of my problem is making everyone else happy!

My only concern is the GTY. Could get a really crappy cabin.

I am surprised RC let me put an online hold on a GTY. I have till tomorrow.

We are all paid so I guess they would refund my card.

Ughhhh. I am soooooo torn

It is me, my newly married 28 year old daughter and my 16 year old.

This is a girls only 5 nighter to celebrate my daughters sweet 16 birthday

My married daughter is not coming on the NCL trip the month before.

I do not think I would mind the inside. Sitting on the balcony while the ship is moving makes me seasick. My soon to be 16 never complains about anything. My oldest is a COMPLAINER. I discussed it with her and she was not happy. She is paying for herself and the 3rd pass savings is obviously not as large as 1st and 2nd so she is not losing much by staying with the JS.

To my surprise RC online let me put a hold on the inside GTY for 24hrs

My final payment on the JS is due tomorrow at 5pm. So I need to make a decision.

Okay, doberlady, this is a tough one...now that I know more of your story, I see why you're having a hard time.

Have you had an aft balcony before? They are very special, and the balcony is bigger (deeper) than regular balcony cabins, so it's quite a nice balcony. I also find the view of the wake to be mesmerizing, and I love being able to see both sides of whatever view there is from an aft balcony. But I don't get seasick! Would your older daughter enjoy sunning on the balcony, or relaxing out there with a good book? Does she get seasick? And your 16 year old...this is her celebration! Would she spend time on the balcony?

The fact that it's a JS aft balcony means that you will have a lot more room to move around, a lovely big closet, more storage drawers and cupboards, and a nicer bathroom with a tub/shower, which is much better for leg shaving than the inside tiny shower. (girl thing) You're talking about an inside guarantee, so you could get stuck in the tiniest inside ever in the worst location ever - it's a roll of the dice. A JS will have nearly twice the square footage of an inside.

You know your girls, and you know your older daughter will not be happy in the inside! Will she be PO'ed at you for the whole cruise? (Maybe you could sweeten the deal for her by treating her to a spa treatment or something special in Bermuda with some of the $$ saved? Would that help any if you go for the inside?) If you go for the inside, you'll have to sell it to her or this might not be the fun girls cruise you had in mind.

DH and I go through this dilemma every time we book a cruise. We've had insides, oceanviews with a window, balconies, and suites. (JS, RFS, and OS on past cruises, and we have a GS booked for January) Once you've had a nice suite, it sure is hard to go back! I also feel that way about aft balconies in comparison to normal balconies - it's hard to go back. But we really do find that the nicer our cabin is (esp. a suite!), the more time we spend there relaxing on our own balcony. We just booked a 15 night Panama Canal cruise for 2014, and I really wanted a GS....but it was nearly $4k more than an aft balcony, so we have an aft balcony instead. I just couldn't justify that expense, even though it's a 15 night cruise. We can cruise again, probably twice, on that savings, so I just couldn't blow the bucks that way. (but maybe we'll fly first class to get there as a consolation...;)) For us, there's kind of a finite amount of $$ available each year for cruises and we have to prioritize our quality/quantity needs and desires. Sigh...it's sooooo not fair!

So...I feel your pain with this decision. If it were me, I think that under these circumstances, I would keep the JS. That's assuming, of course, that the $1100 will not be a serious financial hardship, but rather would have been an unexpected savings. (Note - if it represents a serious financial hardship, then changing to the inside is a no brainer.) My thought is that I wouldn't want to have an unhappy older daughter with me for 5 nights, plus I would want to make it special for the sweet sixteen daughter's celebration. I think those considerations might be worth the $1100 to me, but only you know what they are worth to you. So listen to your gut and do what you think will be best for you and your girls. (in spite of the various opinions - mine included - you get here on CC :o)

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful cruise with your girls!

Judy

I agree with the others concerning use of balcony. When we cruise with my son (3 in a room) we book cheapest interior, as our son has no interest in the balcony, we aren't in the room a lot, and there is zero chance on my wife and I enjoying said balcony with the kid.

Now, when the wife and I travel on our own, if the price is right, we are all about a balcony or junior suite, as we spend a lot of time on the balcony.

Thank you all so much for all of your replies and opinions. They were all exactly what I was looking for and helped me out a lot.

Phoenix. Your reply actually made me cry a little. This is indeed the last and only opportunity that I am able to go away with just these two. I have 4 kids. 3 girls (28, 15 and 7). I also have a 13 year old son. My oldest wants to be starting a family as soon as we get back and we have never been on a girls trip. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity for us.

Judy. Not a financial hardship but an unexpected savings I do not get seasick since finding what a miracle Bonine is for me! I jumped on the aft on deck 7 as you have some of the ships structure in sight. I think it was perfect for me as I do not like to directly stare down into water and the balcony is so deep that I can sit away from the railing and still enjoy being outside.

This cruise is instead of a sweet 16 party and it's a SURPRISE for my daughter who will be jumping up and down at the port :)

I am keeping the JS!

I downgraded from Brilliance of the seas, Jr. Suite AFT (1100) to a inside cabin on our next trip. I saved around 2K, and I totally felt it was worth it to me. I am now going on another two cruises with Carnival out of the west coast for that money. (well, for $600 more each cruise is $1300 for the three of us total).

(Sorry Royal, but my cruising dollars are not just going to you :rolleyes: by the time I pay air and travel to your ships, I could have taken a weeks cruise outside of my front door).

So yes, I totally did it. And am quite happy for it.

T

Archived