Another Newbie Equipment question

BillOh

I've gotten a lot of useful information from those of you in this section, so here I am back for more. I'm taking my online classes now and my pool classes start next week followed by certification dives in Mid July.

When I dive next year through whomever I pick, do I need to provide my own mask and fins? That is just one more thing to carry on the luggage on the ship. At most places are these available for rent as part of the dive package? When I took my intro to scuba in St Thomas last year they provided this.

My scuba course wants me to buy these for around $200 or rent for $150. While the difference isn't that much, I would probably only use these once every year or two. Thoughts?

We purchased the Masks and fins (booties as well) and take with us on our cruises. We rent the other equipment. I like having a mask that I am comfortable with as well as the fins. If I knew I would use it more and it did not cost so much to travel with I would get all of the equipment.

It's important to have a well-fitting mask, so, at a minimum, I would buy one. Fins aren't as important and they will be provided by the diveshops, if needed. But, buy a quality mask and you'll be better off.

I've gotten a lot of useful information from those of you in this section, so here I am back for more. I'm taking my online classes now and my pool classes start next week followed by certification dives in Mid July.

When I dive next year through whomever I pick, do I need to provide my own mask and fins? That is just one more thing to carry on the luggage on the ship. At most places are these available for rent as part of the dive package? When I took my intro to scuba in St Thomas last year they provided this.

My scuba course wants me to buy these for around $200 or rent for $150. While the difference isn't that much, I would probably only use these once every year or two. Thoughts?

$150 to rent a mask and fins ???? Wow, I need to get in to that business.

A good mask should cost around $50 to $100. The most important thing is the fit. If it does not fit your face properly, the mask will leak. I would suggest buying your mask from a local dealer where you can try on different typs to see what fits best for you.I like a mask with a purge valve---much easier to clear.I am still using the $50 mask I bought 13 years ago in my open water class.

I would also suggest buying your own snorkel with a purge valve.

Most excursions in the tropics will include full foot fins in the cost. I prefer open heeled fins and booties as I dive a cold mountain lake and the booties do protect your feet when walking on the docks, beach, etc.

I own my own gear and I take it on the cruise with me. it is a pain in the rear dragging it on and off the ship but I know the quality of my gear, know how it operates, and know it is regularly serviced.I don't like surprizes at 100 feet !!!!!

I think that is the rental for mask and fins during the OPs training (not what dive operations would charge on an excursion)

As others have posted, it is nice to have a mask that you are familiar with and that you know fits rather than dealing with a rental. I travel with my mask and snorkel as well as small fins when on a cruise - I use the mask and snorkel when scuba diving and the fins when snorkeling at a nice beach.

To OP's original question

On a cruise 'gear included' excursion you can expect that mask and fins are included. Usually the 'break point' is a wet suit .... you'll be charged extra for a wet suit (maybe). Booking elsewhere (not on the ship) you might want to ask . . .

comments about fit are 110% right on . . .

(I've NEVER seen a training facility add a charge for use of fins and mask ..... I took my first class in the 70's and have retaken./audited classes since then for dw and dd. RUN AWAY from these crooks)

I also agree with everyone about getting your own mask - it is much more comforting to me to know that I have a mask that fits properly, does not fog up, etc. We have all our basic equipment except a BCD vest - hopefully will buy these soon. Besides the mask, one of our first purchase was the regulator - I like to know that only my mouth has been on it (I know a germ freak - LOL). We take all our gear with us also because we are spoiled and do not like the rental stuff (we find with rental fins, we usually end up getting blisters from them not fitting right).

Rent a mask for $150, WOW! Obviously a course where the "headline price" is lower, then when you have been hit with all the extras, you find out that the course was far more money than you first thought.

Is it worth having your own mask and fins, yes, definitely.

Go to a dive shop, get some good advice, try on different styles of mask, buy what fits you and properly looked after it will last for years. You should expect to pay $60 to $100 for a mask. Snorkels are $20 to $50 depending on the model.

Please remember 30 bucks in Walmart does not buy you a useful piece of kit.

Fins are a bit bulkier to travel with but, like a good pair of shoes, the correct size of fin does make a difference. Not as essential as a good mask though.

Rental gear can be a bit of a lottery, some operators, like ourselves, pride themselves on supplying good quality gear that is up to date and replaced regularly. Others, well, lets say it leaves a lot to be desired!

Booking with a cruise line is no guarantee of quality gear.

If you are at all worried about the hygiene of putting a regulator in your mouth that someone else has used then go to a dive shop and buy a couple of mouthpieces for around $10. Take these and ask the operator to switch the mouthpiece on their regulators for yours, hygiene problem solved.

Enjoy your course and your diving

I purchased the fins, mask, snorkel after my pool training. $200 for the set. Usually travel with all and the long fins make it an issue (25in~).

First trip was to South Pacific and took the gear lots of space required. For trip this fall to Med and only planning a single dive day, will not travel with any gear and rent everything.

I hope to use alot and have for many years.

John

Everybody covered all the good points, so I only can only add minor ones:

IMHO, buy a decent set from a totally DIFFERENT SCUBA store. I've had to replace my booties a few times, but my mask, fins and snorkel are still going strong after 20+ years.

Some people love the masks and snorkels with purge valves, but I'm old school and can't stand them. The purge value just seem like something else to go wrong, but if DiveMaster's snorkel has lasted 13 years maybe they are pretty reliable.

To OP's original question

On a cruise 'gear included' excursion you can expect that mask and fins are included. Usually the 'break point' is a wet suit .... you'll be charged extra for a wet suit (maybe). Booking elsewhere (not on the ship) you might want to ask . . .

comments about fit are 110% right on . . .

(I've NEVER seen a training facility add a charge for use of fins and mask ..... I took my first class in the 70's and have retaken./audited classes since then for dw and dd. RUN AWAY from these crooks)

I have been emailing the people at Coki Beach where I am thinking of taking a dive. and they told me fins and masks will be provided. They did mention $5 for a shorty wetsuit. I paid 10 bucks for that at Buck Island last year. My pool classes start next week and while I am a little upset that the rental equipment wasn't included in the class price, I'll stop short of calling them crooks as they have a good reputation and I'm confident in the quality of instruction at this facility. I may end up looking at a mask from Liquid Vision that includes a camera. I have one that is for snorkeling and I'm happy with it.

My husband & I both need distance vision glasses. As much as I hate to say it, I could really use bifocals, but so far I've preferred to squint.

We got good quality, mid-priced masks WITH our prescriptions inserted for under $120 for BOTH masks combined. Admittedly, we hit a sale for the prescription inserts...

Some things I prefer to own myself - a mask that I can SEE through, my own snorkel and regulator, and my own fins since my hubbie & I have wide feet with high arches. I'm probably ordering my own 3mm wetsuit this Winter for an early April trip - I'm tired of suits that "kind of fit" and defeat the purpose.

We'll rent the big or heavy stuff - tanks, BCDs, weights. It's not worth my while to lug that down.

Most facilities will rent you all of the equipment. varies place to place, but usually $25-35 a day.

I carry my own gear. I know the gear, it fits me well, and I take care of it. WHen I take my gear, it occupies a suit case. Costs are going up on the lousy airlines baggage fees. However, I pay it so that I have gear that I can depend on and that will not cost me one of my cherished dives.

I have been emailing the people at Coki Beach where I am thinking of taking a dive. and they told me fins and masks will be provided. They did mention $5 for a shorty wetsuit. I paid 10 bucks for that at Buck Island last year. My pool classes start next week and while I am a little upset that the rental equipment wasn't included in the class price, I'll stop short of calling them crooks as they have a good reputation and I'm confident in the quality of instruction at this facility. I may end up looking at a mask from Liquid Vision that includes a camera. I have one that is for snorkeling and I'm happy with it.

BillOh-

I'm going to pile on with the rest, and say that a GOOD mask should be your first and most important purchase, and a GOOD mask is one that fits your face, not fashion or budget.

Also, get a HARD plastic case for your mask, and use it. Your mask should either be "on your face, or in the case." It's a minor hassle to prevent a major hassle. Make sure the mask sits in the case without squishing the skirt.

You mention a camera mask in your post... personally, I would stay away from any combination equipment. It's typically more of a hassle than it's worth.

If you take a close look at my avatar, you will see the remnants of a light assembly on the top of my mask. Hubby bought 2 of these masks, thinking they fit him relatively well. Long story short, I ended up with them, and immediately had him break off the light. I found the extra weight annoying, and they never worked well anyway.

Also, if you're a new diver, give yourself a chance to really learn how to dive before you start thinking about a camera.

Have a great time diving at Coki - if you can, do a boat dive with them.

Welcome to the underwater addiction!

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

A good mask should cost around $50 to $100. The most important thing is the fit. If it does not fit your face properly, the mask will leak. I would suggest buying your mask from a local dealer where you can try on different typs to see what fits best for you.I like a mask with a purge valve---much easier to clear.I am still using the $50 mask I bought 13 years ago in my open water class.

I would also suggest buying your own snorkel with a purge valve.

Most excursions in the tropics will include full foot fins in the cost. I prefer open heeled fins and booties as I dive a cold mountain lake and the booties do protect your feet when walking on the docks, beach, etc.

I own my own gear and I take it on the cruise with me. it is a pain in the rear dragging it on and off the ship but I know the quality of my gear, know how it operates, and know it is regularly serviced.I don't like surprizes at 100 feet !!!!!

I agree with this 100 percent. We always take all our own equipment. We know how it operates, how it has been taken care of and are very familiar with everthing. It is definitely a drag taking it on and off the ship when we dive, but it is well worth it, especially when you look at some of the condition the rental gear is in.

The Mask is very important and I agree at a minimum, purchase the mask. Salt water burns the eyes and I would prefer not to mess with this while trying to enjoy the dive.

• 2 weeks later...

suitingupsm.jpg

Certification classes complete! Just as an FYI, the $150 I mentioned for rental for the course was complete equipment for the entire course and 4 certification dives this past weekend including refilling the tanks between day 1 and 2 of the certification last weekend.

FYI, just after completing all of the skills, we were going to take a tour around the quarry, but part way through the visibility went to zero and our instructor turned us around. Everyone saw that except the guy behind me who punched me in the mouth and send my regulator sailing away. Since I'm here typing this, you can assume I figured out what to do in a reasonable amount of time. :D

PS, I will probably get my own make before my next cruise.

Agree with all re. your own mask, snorkel and fins. Note that some people have a hard time equalizing when using a mask with a purge valve. I think the purge valve is not so important on a mask if you know how to clear your mask. Even if the mask passes the classic "fit test", try it out in a pool before you dive with it. Sometimes it seems like a perfect fit until you dive with it and it leaks.

As for fins, notice split fins in your photo. Personally, I don't recommend them to my students because even though kicking is easier with a split fin, a traditional fin gives you more thrust on each kick.

FYI many places include mask and fin rental with the price of the dive. Rental of BCD, reg, wetsuit generally run 15 to 25 dollars. If you have difficulty fitting into standard wetsuits offered by dive operations, it's a good idea to buy your own. Depending on how sensitive you are to cold, a 3mm long suit might be okay and you can always add a hood or hooded vest for extra warmth. Others like a long 5mm as a general suit and just add water if they get too warm. Again it's a personal preference.

Enjoy your trip.

Agree with all re. your own mask, snorkel and fins. Note that some people have a hard time equalizing when using a mask with a purge valve. I think the purge valve is not so important on a mask if you know how to clear your mask. Even if the mask passes the classic "fit test", try it out in a pool before you dive with it. Sometimes it seems like a perfect fit until you dive with it and it leaks.

As for fins, notice split fins in your photo. Personally, I don't recommend them to my students because even though kicking is easier with a split fin, a traditional fin gives you more thrust on each kick.

FYI many places include mask and fin rental with the price of the dive. Rental of BCD, reg, wetsuit generally run 15 to 25 dollars. If you have difficulty fitting into standard wetsuits offered by dive operations, it's a good idea to buy your own. Depending on how sensitive you are to cold, a 3mm long suit might be okay and you can always add a hood or hooded vest for extra warmth. Others like a long 5mm as a general suit and just add water if they get too warm. Again it's a personal preference.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks for your input. I was comfortable in a 3mm shorty in St Thomas in 2011 (Intro dive). The dive operator I'm looking at said they would provide that this time. This weekend was my first time trying split fins, they were rentals, didn't get enough time with them to form any opinion.

Absolutely buy your own mask at a minimum. Nothing worse than dealing with a leaking mask all the time. Keep in mind that something like 90% of divers don't dive again after their certification (or maybe first dive trip) when buying all the new toys.

Once you decide to keep with it there are a few things worthwhile to take on a trip

-Mask

-Snorkel (I don't usually dive with it, but I like my own for snorkeling.)

-Computer (Get nitrox compatible.)

-Reg set. (I like to know this is working well and clean. I've seen some very rough breathing rentals)

-Some sort of signal device (safety sausage, mirror, whistle, etc. Often rental gear doesn't include thing and I have come up a long long way from the boat on occasion.)

If I were to dedicate more space Id take

-wetsuit (everyone pees in them you know)

-fins

I don't know if a BCD is really worth the hassle of traveling with. However if you're taking fins you're probably already dedicating a bag to it.

suitingupsm.jpg

Certification classes complete! Just as an FYI, the $150 I mentioned for rental for the course was complete equipment for the entire course and 4 certification dives this past weekend including refilling the tanks between day 1 and 2 of the certification last weekend.

FYI, just after completing all of the skills, we were going to take a tour around the quarry, but part way through the visibility went to zero and our instructor turned us around. Everyone saw that except the guy behind me who punched me in the mouth and send my regulator sailing away. Since I'm here typing this, you can assume I figured out what to do in a reasonable amount of time. :D

PS, I will probably get my own make before my next cruise.

Congrats on completing your certification....enjoy your vacation!

I always take all my gear even though it's a pain in the butt, but I've noticed the ship dives with & without gear are only about $10-$20 difference in price. From what I've seen with the other people renting that includes everything but a wetsuit & computer that can be rented for an additional charge. You might want to invest in a basic wrist computer. I keep saying I'm going to start renting and only bring my mask, wrist computer & dive skin, but I haven't done it yet. My buddy tried bringing his reg without BC but there were issues with the inflator hose not matching the rental gear config & they had to do some modifications to make it work like change out a hose for him to work with their BC.

I always take all my gear even though it's a pain in the butt, but I've noticed the ship dives with & without gear are only about $10-$20 difference in price. From what I've seen with the other people renting that includes everything but a wetsuit & computer that can be rented for an additional charge. You might want to invest in a basic wrist computer. I keep saying I'm going to start renting and only bring my mask, wrist computer & dive skin, but I haven't done it yet. My buddy tried bringing his reg without BC but there were issues with the inflator hose not matching the rental gear config & they had to do some modifications to make it work like change out a hose for him to work with their BC.

We always bring our own gear. I like to know that is works well, fits, and I also just really love my BC. It's a hybrid harness style and the last time I was in a jacket BC I really started appreciating the minimalist style of my BC and realized I could go back and dive rental gear for a dive or 2 to save the dive day if my luggage got stuck somewhere, but I would miss my stuff!

I can't believe they were charging you to refill the tanks for your dive class. Here that is part of the class.

For my class they (the organization running the class) were not charging to refill tanks. The store/training pool is 50 miles from the private quarry where the open water tests were done. If I didn't want to drive back between the 2 days I could have paid to refill at the quarry which is privately owned, but we drove back to town and had it done free.

FYI to anyone who might be interested, I thought I would relate two parts of my certification weekend. First, we had just finished all the skills and could have gotten out of the water, done our log books and passed the course, but the instructor took all 8 of us on a tour of the quarry. Visibility got down to near zero and we stopped. The guy behind me didn't see me and basically belted me in the mouth dislodging my regulator. (right at my end of exhale of course :rolleyes:) But I did complete the recovery of the back up regulator for real. This was after having already shown the skill in practice multiple times. Of course in practice you take the regulator out with a lung full of air. Once I got my regulator back, I noticed that under 20 feet of green water, it was harder for me to tell if I had recovered my regular or backup regulator as the hit disloged both. I knew from using the equipment the backup one had a yellow mark on it. My instructor's back up regulator also had yellow hoses. Both of mine were black. While we were regrouping I was going back and forth looking at them. I explained at the top.

Finally while going over our log books and debriefing there was a scream as a lady broke the surface on the other side of the quarry. (They were part of another group from another town. In that case this girl had completed the same training we had a couple of weeks ago, but was going further in her training. She made a couple of big mistakes that could have been costly. I don't think I'm above mistakes, but i do learn from them. She apparently never hooked up her low pressure hose to her BCD. She was in the water for awhile and when the group went to surface she couldn't get up. It sounds like (second hand) she may have also been overweighted. She paniced and swalllowed water in her attempt to assend, though she reportedly had air.

Me being the absolute rookie would like to assume I would have caught this. in our group dives I always put air in the bcd before getting in the water to relax on top until we all came together and ready to descend. I did have one learning experience in that I got in the water and was floating with the group and everytime I tried to put air in the BCD it came back out again. Turns out I routed a hose around one of the dumb valve pull strings. Lesson learned. I ended up swimming back to the stairs and fixing it. I would like to think had I decended in her circumstances I would, having plenty of air, had the sense to manually inflate my BCD, a skill I had demonstrated a short time earlier. If I had the problem I mentioned with the cable routing I would also like to think I could/would have dumped my weights. Well, I did learn a lesson at her expense. She was checked out by EMS and found to me ok.

Glad everything came out okay. Good example of why you want to test everything on the surface, and why you should give your buddy a look once over to see if everything looks connected on their gear too. Good job with the recovery. I know a lot of people would let your experience but them off diving, but its all good training. Scuba and firearms are two things I absolutely don't screw around on.

Archived