Gijon, Spain

Can anyone tell me what's recommended to see in Gijon? My Celebrity cruise calls at Gijon in October. The short excursions available don't sound terribly interesting. Is it just a nice town to walk around?

Michael

If you go in the summer and the weather is nice, you can see some of the most crowded beaches in the universe. My choice would be to head to Picos De Europa -- a bit over an hour away. Lovely area to hike.

If you go in the summer and the weather is nice, you can see some of the most crowded beaches in the universe. My choice would be to head to Picos De Europa -- a bit over an hour away. Lovely area to hike.

We agree. We did the Picos tour.

Transatlantic09001-Copy.jpg

It included churches.

Transatlantic09022.jpg

Transatlantic09021.jpg

Outlooks.

Transatlantic09Joe022.jpg

Transatlantic09012.jpg

Lunch and the Roman Bridge.

Transatlantic09031.jpg

If you would like to see the TA album.

http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p629/scubax2/Transatlantic%20cruise/

Hope this helps.

Sorry about the Nassau picture. Heres the outlook.

Transatlantic09011.jpg

• 3 months later...
Can anyone tell me what's recommended to see in Gijon? My Celebrity cruise calls at Gijon in October. The short excursions available don't sound terribly interesting. Is it just a nice town to walk around?

Michael

You may wish to visit the Campo Valdés Roman Baths situated underneath the square of the Church of San Pedro near the Playa San Lorenzo. The ruins have been beautifully preserved and there is information available in English.

The Cerro de Santa Catalina is a park nearby. It covers 70,00 square meters and dominates the city. On one side is the San Lorenzo Beach and on the other side is the Port of El Musel. Beside it is Cimadevilla, the old neighborhood of fishermen. On top is an old fort which only has short walls now. At the very top is a massive sculpture of Eduardo Chillida, called the Elegy to the Horizon (Elegio del Horizonte). This is a massive modern sculpture, whose image now represents the city of Gijón.

In addition, Oviedo (the capital of Asturias) is about 30 minutes from Gijón by public transportation (bus/train). Oviedo collects good sculptures, with a collection of 180 sculptures, all from famous sculptors from around the world, such as Botero. The statues are found on streets, plazas, and parks --there is even one of Woody Allen.

I would also see the Cathedral San Salvador with the Cámara Santa (Holy Chamber). It’s a UNESCO World Heritage site and was build to keep the Holy Relics (it still does). Near the Cathedral, you can also visit the Plaza del Fontán --a beautiful square built in 1792 by the architect Francisco Pruneda y Cañal (used currently as a market square).

Have fun!

Alicia

Archived