National Express Questions, please help

Hi,

We want to take national express from victoria station to south hampton. It's kind of last minute now. Can you please answer my questions? Really appreciate it!

1. Will I get a better deal if purchase online? Assuming the same bus has seats left. When is a less busy hour with cheaper price?

2. What's fun fare, that's like happy hour? How do I get the fun fare price?

3. Is taking train a better option, in term of different experience and less expensive? We have nothing else to do on the embarkation day. How convenient?

Thanks in advance!

April

You must book for a trip of this importance. Agree with everything above. Also remember, Victoria Bus station is not the same place as Victoria train station...its about 300 yds down the road.

Train is different, not necessarily better. Direct train from Victoria to Southampton Central goes a bit of a circuotous route via Gatwick and almost Brighton. Takes about 2 1/2 hrs (bit longer than the coach), but can be got for as little as £3.50 at www.southernrailway.com . You pays your money and makes your choice!

Simon

Simon and Budget Queen,

Thanks for the reply!

Will national express always be on time? I accidentally selected a later coach. It will arrive southampton station at 14:45PM and the checkin close at 4PM, ship leave at 5PM. Do I have enough buffer? Will they be on time?

Thanks,

April

Simon and Budget Queen,

Thanks for the reply!

Will national express always be on time? I accidentally selected a later coach. It will arrive southampton station at 14:45PM and the checkin close at 4PM, ship leave at 5PM. Do I have enough buffer? Will they be on time?

Thanks,

April

They're generally pretty good, but on summer saturdays Nat Express coaches London to Southampton can get screwed-up in the traffic, same as everyone else.

On other days, you shouldn't have a problem, but there's always the small risk of a breakdown or a serious accident closing the motorway.

For a summer saturday, or just for peace of mind whatever the day, you can amend your ticket. I think this can only be done by phone, this from their website:

Journey amendments can be made to tickets prior to travel by calling 08717 818178* (0044 8717 818178 from overseas). Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

An amendment fee will apply so please have your credit/debit card details to hand. Please note that an excess fare will also be charged where a higher fare category applies.

If you don't get your booking amended, you can still travel on an earlier coach if there are seats available.

Either way, the amendment fee is £5

But if your ticket was a special promotion, such as a "funfare" & you can still get a silly-cheap price, its probably cheaper to buy fresh tickets & tear up the ones you've got.

From Southampton coach station to any cruise terminal will take no more than 10 minutes by taxi.

JB :)

Edit: just seen your other thread. OK, we can forget the saturday risk. And City cruise terminal is literally 2 minutes by taxi

Also worth noting the reason why fares are so cheap on this route is the direct competition with Greyhound UK that run head to head with National Express London Victoria - Southampton.

I suspect you'll get a fare with one of them on-line for about 5 GBP.

In which case just book another earlier schedule.

Its probably going to cost you more to get to Victoria and from bus to cruise terminal than London to Southampton by bus on that route.

As JB says, they run to time (or have when I've used them!), but can get caught in traffic/accidents like anyone else. The train will be more reliable in this respect, but thats the only real difference. Southampton bus and train stations are only 10 mins from the terminals. If you are on Celeb or RCI you could even walk to City Cruise terminal in 10 mins if you had to.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
You must book for a trip of this importance. Agree with everything above. Also remember, Victoria Bus station is not the same place as Victoria train station...its about 300 yds down the road.

Train is different, not necessarily better. Direct train from Victoria to Southampton Central goes a bit of a circuotous route via Gatwick and almost Brighton. Takes about 2 1/2 hrs (bit longer than the coach), but can be got for as little as £3.50 at www.southernrailway.com . You pays your money and makes your choice!

Simon

Thanks for the website. One question, when buying online, do you print off your ticket or are they mailed to you?

If Budget Queen says you can print them off, I'll take her word for it...I can't remember!!!!:D I know on most rail companies over here you can print off all the details etc, but have to get the ticket from a machine at the station by entering your reference number. I don't think any rail company mails actual tickets.

Simon

I just did this trip in May. I booked the trip many months in advance and paid 14 pounds for 2. Can't beat that price. I booked the 0830 departure. My experience:

1. The Victoria Coach station is crowded. Not many places to sit. Lot's of activity including sightseeing tours departing from the station.

2. The bus was oversold. They came on and checked everyone's tickets three times. Finally pulled a group of 6 off. As a result, the bus departed about 45 min late.

3. Traffic not too bad Arrived in Southampton about 30 minutes late.

4. Taxi to City Terminal was 5 pounds. I see some people say it can be walked in 10 minutes. I'm not so sure, especially with luggage.

4. Taxi to City Terminal was 5 pounds. I see some people say it can be walked in 10 minutes. I'm not so sure, especially with luggage.

Just in case anyone is thinking of walking, heres a map. This is only if you are on RCI, Celeb or NCL out of the City Cruise terminal (berth 101). Everyone else use a cab!

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Harbour+Parade&daddr=Herbert+Walker+Ave&hl=en&ll=50.902478,-1.411357&spn=0.007497,0.018861&sll=50.900272,-1.408589&sspn=0.007497,0.018861&geocode=FarCCAMdln_q_w%3BFTyuCAMd9Wvq_w&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=me&mrsp=1&sz=16&z=16

Its all on the level and all road crossings are ramped. I would just say that where the blue line crosses the A33, you don't have to walk down to the roundabout, but can cut the corner through the Holiday Inn car park to Gate 8.

Simon

I know on most rail companies over here you can print off all the details etc, but have to get the ticket from a machine at the station by entering your reference number. I don't think any rail company mails actual tickets.

Simon

Probably not relevant to cruise passengers, but tickets can be printed online with First TransPennine Express rail company. When departing from Manchester airport, if a flight is delayed, they permit travel on any train up to four hours later than the booked one.

Dermot

Probably not relevant to cruise passengers, but tickets can be printed online with First TransPennine Express rail company. When departing from Manchester airport, if a flight is delayed, they permit travel on any train up to four hours later than the booked one.

Dermot

Thats good to know, I'll be in Manchester in Oct, and will be using the FTP to go to Buxton and the Peak District

Thanks for heads up

Srpilo

Thats good to know, I'll be in Manchester in Oct, and will be using the FTP to go to Buxton and the Peak District

Thanks for heads up

Srpilo

It does not give this information on the FTP website, but it states it on the e-tickets. But note that it only applies when going from Manchester airport. When returning to the airport you must travel on the train booked or the ticket is invalid.

Oops, I ignored my mother's maxim that a good secretary never trusts her memory. I have just printed the train ticket for my journey to Doncaster in August and it states (my bold):

SPECIFIC FIRST TRANSPENNINE EXPRESS CONDITIONS:

This ticket is valid in specified seat(s) on booked train only except for journeys originating at Manchester Airport: If your inbound flight has been

delayed, you may use your ticket up to 3 hours after the departure time stated on your ticket on the next available TransPennine Express

service. If the next direct TransPennine Express service to your destination departs after the 3 hour concession, then this service may be used.

Passengers wishing to use this concession must have their ticket endorsed at the Ticket Office before boarding the train.

Archived