Best E or S Caribbean Ports for 7 and 10 yrs?

TravelBel

Hello! We have cruised many times to the Western Caribbean, but want to take the kids to the Eastern or Southern this time around. They are 7 and 10 years old and probably not up for snorkeling quite yet. Any suggestions on good islands with fun activities for the kids?

Thanks!

Frankly I don't feel that there are a lot of differences in various Caribbean islands. I think the major difference is that E Carib cruises tend to start from a Florida port and have more sea days, while many S Carib cruises start from Puerto Rico and have more port days. Some islands show up in both E and S Carib itineraries.

I have to agree...they are all more alike than different. If you're going in the fall or winter, go south. Any other time of year, the eastern is great. (It's just in the fall/winter, you risk either storms or cooler weather at some of the stops on the E. Route)

Why not get a guidebook on the Caribbean....check out all potential ports, and then decide which one you'd prefer! LIbraries have guidebooks!

We did the Western with RCCL a few years back - have done Alaska and also the Med.

Looking at the Southern Caribbean this year. Kids are 12 and 9 so similar ages... I haven't gotten round to checking on things for them to do but they are just usually happy to be cruising!!! ;)

Thanks -I guess we're looking for fun excursions, something similar to the ruins in Mexico, snorkeling with the stingrays, etc. Most of the East/South seems to be beaches and city tours...

Snorkeling with the turtles in Barbados on a catamaran excursion, Lotterie Farms zip lining St Martin, ATV tour Samana, visiting the Bath's in Virgin Gorda by speed boat from Tortola just to name a few. Go to the ports of call board for many more ideas.

I know we want to go to Maho beach in St Thomas to see the planes landing. Otherwise we spend most of our time at the beach. There are some neat catamaran tours and old forts to see on some of the islands, but I find there is much less history to the Eastern itineraries versus the Western

I know we want to go to Maho beach in St Thomas to see the planes landing. Otherwise we spend most of our time at the beach. There are some neat catamaran tours and old forts to see on some of the islands' date=' but I find there is much less history to the Eastern itineraries versus the Western[/quote']

Maho beach is in St. Maarten.

San Juan, Puerto Ricco has lots of history and Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbour along with Betty's Hope all in Antigua will provide you with this type of day as well.

We are going to visit Cartegena Columbia on our next Southern Caribbean cruise and we are looking forward to exploring some of the history that this city provides.

We took our kids snorkeling when they were 6 and 9 and they loved it. It took them some time to get it but they did and had a blast.

We did a kayak and snorkeling tour in St Thomas that we had booked well ahead of time, and they liked the snorkeling so much we booked a catamaran snorkeling excursion for the next day in St. Maarten.

The catamaran one was easier actually. They gave us pool noodles, so the kids could hold onto them and float around. For both we had life jackets but the kids found it easier to float face down holding a pool noodle.

Maho beach is in St. Maarten.

San Juan, Puerto Ricco has lots of history and Nelson's Dockyard and English Harbour along with Betty's Hope all in Antigua will provide you with this type of day as well.

We are going to visit Cartegena Columbia on our next Southern Caribbean cruise and we are looking forward to exploring some of the history that this city provides.

Yes, thanks for correcting me. I was multitasking a bit too much while writing that post ;)

Archived