Beware of pick pockets at Rome Termini!

I've been targeted in Florence and Rome but not successfully (knocking on wood!). In Florence several gypsies would work together. One would distract you by offering to sell you something or give you a tour while another would grab your bag. I'd heard about the practice so when one approached, I immediately turned the other way. When I did that, I saw the second person reaching for me. She backed off when she knew I had spotted her.

In Rome by the Trevi Fountain, I encountered a scam I haven't previously heard about. I had stopped to take a photo so was a few feet from my husband. A man grabbed a hunk of my hair (I have long hair) and yanked on it. He ripped out several strands so it hurt! Obviously I shreaked and turned his direction to figure out why this stranger is yanking out my hair. When I was distracted, his partner attempted to open my bag. My husband heard my scream, saw the partner grabbing at my bag and pushed her away. I don't think the hair-puller realized that I was with someone. He ran as soon as he saw my husband coming after him.

Even if someone did get into my bag, they wouldn't get much worth taking. The only things of value are a little money for small expenses and one credit card. I bring passports but those get carried close to my heart along with a few larger bills in case they are needed. I think I would notice someone sticking their hand into my bra.

That's horrible and I hope someone pummels these punks.

I have to say after going to Italy, Greece and Turkey a few years ago... I was so happy to be in the British Isles afterward. I guess it is comforting to speak the language and never felt at all hassled or vulnerable anywhere on that trip.

Problems with these bands of gypsy thieves and pickpockets goes back a long time. And they are very, VERY good at their job.

Even back in 1988 when I was in the US Navy and stationed in Naples I took a 2-week Eurail Pass trip through Europe and on Day 1 of my trip outside of Rome Termini was robbed of all my American Express Travelers Cheques. I had over $2000 worth! Luckily enough my next stop was in Paris were they were quickly and easily replaced.

It pays to be very careful and not carry anything of value.

Archived