Beware of pick pockets at Rome Termini!

When we walked to the train to Civitavecchia at Rome Termini station, we were approached by 5 people in a matter of 2 minutes!:eek: It is a rather long walk to the Civitavecchia tracks and you will stick out, carrying all your luggage! There even was a woman standing inside the train, offering to "help" people get on their luggage! These pick pocket gangs are very brazen and you need to be aggresive in denying their "help". If you can, get your tickets in advance, before leaving with all your luggage, passports and money. You still will be approached by people trying to "help", but at least there is less to steal.;)

Pickpocketers are all over all the main attractions in Rome, not just the train stations. They do it for a living, and they are very good at it. You just have to be aware of your surroundings.

they're all over italy. when we were in florence someone's passport landed in my lap outside the duomo. i checked out the picture and found the man inside. he had no idea his "safe fanny pack" had been opened and cleared out.

I had my hand in my wallet pocket on a bus in Rome, and felt someone brush up against me. As fast as I whipped around, I was unable to find the person - they are very clever and do it right as the bus stops so you are hopefully reaching to steady yourself and they have an escape!!

I also had one of those Roman "Let me help you with luggage." It actually worked out because I had 3 heavy bags, and then I gave him 5 euros, and he pushed his way through the line to get us on first. He says it's "5 euros per bag" and I said that he should negotiate in advance next time. I followed him off the train so he couldn't steal my bag.

As others have said, Rome, and the train station in particular, is renowned for pickpockets. Unfortunately, so is a good part of Europe. You must always be on guard.

Barcelona is bad too and lately, Venice has become a haven for the "gangs" (and they are in groups or gangs).

Be aware and diligent. If approached at all, let alone by more than one person, be aware.

I am sure that there are pick pockets all over the world. At least in Europe they don't kill you over it like when you are robbed in the United States. I don't know about other countries but in Buenas Aires if you try to catch them they will stab you to death. We had that experience with another couple that we had met. They took everything.

they're all over italy. when we were in florence someone's passport landed in my lap outside the duomo. i checked out the picture and found the man inside. he had no idea his "safe fanny pack" had been opened and cleared out.

I have been approached by kids trying to see me a 'newspaper' while they pick your pocket, in Rome. I yelled at them to go away (they did). I heard Barcelona was bad too; so I got a purse made by a company called pac safe. It is terrific; it has steel cables, locks, mesh etc. making it virtually pickpocket and theft proof (as long as you wear it crosswise on your body!). I highly recommend this. My husband kept his passport and wallet in my pac safe purse. Before I left home I also sewed pockets INSIDE each pair of pants I took, attached at the top to my pants waistband, with a couple velcro fasteners on the flaps, and kept most of my euros and our passports in there.

We went on a Rome tour with a group from our church in 1998. There were 2 couples that knew everything and went off on their own to travel because they knew everything. Guess what. They were the only 2 in our group that had their "pockets" picked. One was on the train and someone bumped into them and another also bumped into them. They seen them and knew that they stole their wallet but it was thrown to someone outside the train. So there was no proof.

The other was also a jostle in a crowded area. They also knew that it was taken but there were so many people around them they couldn't do anything.

They work in groups and there is nothing that you can do to stop them once they get your valuables.

My waist bag was ripped off me in Ho Chi Minh Vietnam by a cyclo driver. In our Europe trip, I am not carrying a handbag in Rome or Barcelona, even though I have a Theft one. I just think they are too clever for that now. With unemployment reaching 25% and all these "rich" tourists ripe for the picking, maybe they should count "thief" as a new employment category.

After reading about such things on here and in travel guides I was almost paranoid when left for our cruise from Rome the other week. DH had a money belt inside his clothes (which was a real pain whenever we wanted to buy anything) and I had a nappy pin on each of my front pockets of my jeans. I didn't want it to be obvious which pockets anything valuable was in, so I put one on each. I also had bells and a pin securing the zipper on my handbag (when I did take it with me) We didn't get robbed, nor any attempt to do so that we noticed, but I can't say I enjoyed the paranoia that went with it.

Diaper pins on the pockets always works really well. My husband also carries a "fake" wallet in his back pocket (his old wallet filled with newspaper!) The pickpockets always go for this one and never his front pocket!

My wife and I have traveled the world since 1978 and have never had a problem with pickpockets. When we started traveling we knew pickpockets were out there. Here’s what my wife did to protect our money, passports, etc.. Using knee braces she made something similar this. Click on the following link for an idea of what we have been using the past 34 years. Leg Safe

In all these years I have never had my :) “Leg Picked” :).

I am not usually a fan or organized tours. I hate the meeting in the auditorium, getting your sticker, etc. Having said that- because Europe is on hard times- I highly recommend do a tour in certain ports because the taxi drivers, if they don't gauge you will tell you all their problems (if they speak English) to garner more money. They do this in the States too. And there is this pickpocketing problem. So it is probably best to go with a guide.

Worst port:

Barcelona- definitely do a tour.

There is a company in Toronto called Tilley and they sell travel clothing. All the pockets have velcro and it makes a noise when you get into your own pocket and would do the same if someone tried to rob you.

Many of those pants have 2 side pockets, 2 front pockets and 2 in back. I never use the back ones as when you sit against something, it could be uncomfortable. I put loose bills in a front one, my passport unless it is on the ship (carry a copy of the page with number and picture) and since our incident in Rome more than a decade ago, it has worked for us.

You can add Paris to the list. When going through the turnstile at the metro station, they removed the contents of my husband's back pocket. They got the free metro map. They are free all over the place. Serves them right.

Last yearI carried a very small wallet in my front pocket Used 2 diaper pins to secure all LOng shirt over it

I wear cargo shorts Rubber bands on wallet Harder to pull out catches on fabric Camera in other pocket or around my neck

NO PURSE .No Jewellery No bags A small drawstring bag with water bottle and pashmina

Thank God I was OK But I understand paranoia about these guys They are experts

In Greece I got pick pocketted regularly ...I did not care for GREECE I finally put my money in my shoes THAT stopped it

In Europe IF i carry a purse it has a lock on it and I carry it across my chest I try not to have a purse at all.

In Buenos Aires They stole my dirty laundry at the airport ...designer bras and undies out of my side pocket BECAUSE I did not plastify my suitcase for 40 $ Now I put NOTHING in outside pockets

I found South America very stressful as a result as was Italy last year but THANK gOD was OK

Another CC member got his $$$ and passport taken at the airport HAD buckets of problems as a result getting home

Ihave a holder goes around the neck ....best gift ever ...THANK YOU PRINCESS-...gift from Princess where I have passport and docs and a little cash for cab ride to hotel My carry-ons are LOCKED at all times Including my purse ..esp at security ...sticky little fingers there too

Worrying about this is NO FUN

We've been all over Europe several times on our own and have not yet been pickpocketed (can never say never). We try to be vigilant at all times, but sometimes I think I've been passed by because I tuck my money and credit cards into my bra. I'm pretty sure I'd know if someone got into there:D

We must look poor or something. We've been all over, Rome, Mexico, Central America, etc. and nobody has ever tried to pick our pockets. I feel insulted.

My husband says he feels "nekkid" without his wallet in his back pocket. So I got him a cheap one at the $ Store, filled it full of worthless credit cards (those you get in the mail that say "your name here"), pictures of grandchildren we got in Christmas cards, paper cut the size of dollar bills with "Gottcha Sucker" written on the top one.

He has practically gone down Las Ramblas pointing to it and it has never been taken. I think he is disappointed (lol). He figures if nothing else if he is mugged, he will throw it as far away from him as he can and run the other direction.

He keeps his real wallet in one of those "secret" pockets that attach to his belt and go inside his pants. I have my valuables in a neck bag that I attach to my bra strap so it hangs down my side with no tell-tale evidence of a string around my neck. I have a wallet in my cross chest purse but nothing of any value in it other than some "bathroom" money which I can throw, too.

Tucker in Texas

[quote name=

He keeps his real wallet in one of those "secret" pockets that attach to his belt and go inside his pants. I have my valuables in a neck bag that I attach to my bra strap so it hangs down my side with no tell-tale evidence of a string around my neck. I have a wallet in my cross chest purse but nothing of any value in it other than some "bathroom" money which I can throw, too.

Tucker in Texas[/quote]

I did this a few times years ago on the Via Veneto in Rome. I tethered my dummy wallet with fishing line. When I felt the tug, I'd yell and the perp would run off as if jabbed in the rear by a hot poker. On a stroll one evening, I absent mindly forgot I had a reporter's notebook in a rear pocket (yes, I was a reporter for a stateside paper). I found it later in a trash can.

Archived