Falklands tours

sharke

We HAD hoped to go to the Falklands with HAL, the highlight of our cruise when we booked, but having tried to book with Patrick Watts were told by HIM, and NOT HAL!!! that they were no longer stopping there due to the weather........ our cruise isn't until February 2013!!! We were eventually advised by HAL to be told in writing we were calling at Punta del Este even when in actual fact it is Puerto Madryn I understand!

I call it 'Argy Bargy'. Other lines are still calling there, but no longer HAL and I don't know the 'real' reasons for their logic.

One disgruntled cruiser..................

The real reason is politics: their original (almost hidden) announcement referred to 'climate', which can be read as either weather or political. HAL are not willing to risk upsetting Argentina by calling at the Falklands.

They haven't realised that Argentina is extremely unlikely to repeat turning away a ship that has visited the Falklands after the bad publicity, along with the bad reaction from their own citizens, the last time they did so.

I raised the issue with the Future Cruise Consultant on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise out of Venice and got a very bad tempered and unprofessional response. She said that the Falklands were permanently cancelled despite Stanley still being listed in itineraries and HAL having said that they might call there if the weather was suitable and with just 24 hours notice. How on Earth the islanders are expected to organise excursions at 24 hours notice beggars belief!

It's a bad decision made for bad reasons and, having visited the Falklands, I know that HAL are denying travellers a real treat.

The real reason is politics: their original (almost hidden) announcement referred to 'climate', which can be read as either weather or political. HAL are not willing to risk upsetting Argentina by calling at the Falklands.

They haven't realised that Argentina is extremely unlikely to repeat turning away a ship that has visited the Falklands after the bad publicity, along with the bad reaction from their own citizens, the last time they did so.

I raised the issue with the Future Cruise Consultant on our recent Nieuw Amsterdam cruise out of Venice and got a very bad tempered and unprofessional response. She said that the Falklands were permanently cancelled despite Stanley still being listed in itineraries and HAL having said that they might call there if the weather was suitable and with just 24 hours notice. How on Earth the islanders are expected to organise excursions at 24 hours notice beggars belief!

It's a bad decision made for bad reasons and, having visited the Falklands, I know that HAL are denying travellers a real treat.

Well said! My feelings entirely, hence my "Argy Bargy" comment................a travesty, and I will be flying my large Union Flag as we leave the Argentine Ports!!!

Can you advise from your visits there if they are very strict about what you can bring off the ship like nibbles etc.

I wouldn't say very strict, but there are bio-security rules, more for ships, not passengers. I doubt you'll be searched.

But there are a wide range of nibbles and snacks available from the supermarkets and cafes/pub. You won't go hungry in the Falklands.

I wouldn't say very strict, but there are bio-security rules, more for ships, not passengers. I doubt you'll be searched.

But there are a wide range of nibbles and snacks available from the supermarkets and cafes/pub. You won't go hungry in the Falklands.

Thank you very much it is just that we are doing a private small tour and lunch is not included so did not know if there were places off the tour we could stop and buy something

Thank you very much it is just that we are doing a private small tour and lunch is not included so did not know if there were places off the tour we could stop and buy something

Outside of Stanley, you will be lucky to find any food places. Goose Green has a cafe and that's about it. So I would buy some snacks at a takeaway place, eg Jacs cafe, West Store, Michelles cafe, Tasty Treat - all 5 minutes or less from jetty. Your guide will know.

But if you are going to Gypsy Cove, that is only 3 miles from town and your guide will drop you back for lunch. Where are you touring?

I have read lots of good things about the penguins in the Falklands. We are currently booked with Patrick Watts AND we are booked for Bluff Cove Lagoon - both recommended. I need to make a decision and cancel one or the other. Has anyone been there twice and done both? We'll be stopping there very early March. :) weather permitting.

From my reading, I THINK the difference is in number of penguins and time in the 4X4 as well as more time allowed at Volunteer Point. Then there is the Cabbage Patch Cafe being at Bluff Cove, vs a sack lunch provided by Patrick. DH has some minor back and neck problems. If we can see fewer but the same kinds of penguins (there is a growing number of King's at Bluff Cove) and bounce around for a shorter time to get there, I'm thinking Bluff Cove may be the place for us.

Please share your thoughts with me to help us make a decision.

I haven't been to Volunteer Point, but I have been to Bluff Cove Lagoon and it was excellent. Lots of Gentoos, a growing number of Kings, dolphins just off shore and cows grazing in the water and on the beach!

And the Cabbage Patch Cafe serves food that's truly delicious!

Volunteer Point needs you to be in port for a minimum of six or seven hours and is a long trip across the island. Bluff Cove Lagoon is a lot closer to Stanley which means the trip is much more comfortable, though still a little bumpy - the drivers do their best to take care of their passengers! Choosing Bluff Cove Lagoon means that you will also have time to visit and walk around Stanley. Something not to be missed.

Outside of Stanley, you will be lucky to find any food places. Goose Green has a cafe and that's about it. So I would buy some snacks at a takeaway place, eg Jacs cafe, West Store, Michelles cafe, Tasty Treat - all 5 minutes or less from jetty. Your guide will know.

But if you are going to Gypsy Cove, that is only 3 miles from town and your guide will drop you back for lunch. Where are you touring?

Now there is a question It has been left to us to pick where we would like to go and apart from saying penguins and war sites we have not made any decisions We are going with Antony Smith just 4 of us which would be best Volunteer or Bluff cove? and how many war sites are we likely to get to?:D

Now there is a question It has been left to us to pick where we would like to go and apart from saying penguins and war sites we have not made any decisions We are going with Antony Smith just 4 of us which would be best Volunteer or Bluff cove? and how many war sites are we likely to get to?:D

As digitl says, Volunteer is much further. It depends what you mean by "best". If you want to combine with war sites, then Bluff Cove would work well.

Any particular war sites? There are a lots, many on top of hills. But Fitzroy and Goose Green are not that far from Bluff Cove.

As digitl says, Volunteer is much further. It depends what you mean by "best". If you want to combine with war sites, then Bluff Cove would work well.

Any particular war sites? There are a lots, many on top of hills. But Fitzroy and Goose Green are not that far from Bluff Cove.

Could we pick yo brains please as we do not know much about the island.

As you say we could go to Bluff Cove so I can see my penguins and then the two boys can do the war stuff.

Can you give us a few pointers of what can be found on such a journey and what they are about and we can then suggest an itinerary to Antony for the full day Thank you in advance :D

Could we pick yo brains please as we do not know much about the island.

As you say we could go to Bluff Cove so I can see my penguins and then the two boys can do the war stuff.

Can you give us a few pointers of what can be found on such a journey and what they are about and we can then suggest an itinerary to Antony for the full day Thank you in advance :D

It's probably worth you reading about the Falklands War on Wikipedia, or looking at the revamped Falkland Tourism site - plenty of ideas there.

Bluff Cove Lagoon is about 15 miles outside Stanley. You drive past many of the battle sites - Tumbledown, Mt Harriet, Mt William, Two Sisters, etc. And about 10 miles further is Fitzroy, where many Welsh Guardsmen were killed when there ship Sir Galahad was sunk. Another 30 miles is Darwin/Goose Green, which saw the first land battle of the war.

I don't think it is for me to suggest ideas to a professional guide. Why not discuss it with him, and get something tailored to what you want?

It's probably worth you reading about the Falklands War on Wikipedia, or looking at the revamped Falkland Tourism site - plenty of ideas there.

Bluff Cove Lagoon is about 15 miles outside Stanley. You drive past many of the battle sites - Tumbledown, Mt Harriet, Mt William, Two Sisters, etc. And about 10 miles further is Fitzroy, where many Welsh Guardsmen were killed when there ship Sir Galahad was sunk. Another 30 miles is Darwin/Goose Green, which saw the first land battle of the war.

I don't think it is for me to suggest ideas to a professional guide. Why not discuss it with him, and get something tailored to what you want?

Thanks for that it gives me some names to google etc. The men want the war sites but we want a mix of that and other things so to do some investigations ;);)

When are you going? I was offered a war sites trip today with Anthony in mid-December.

We go in February.

I asked for a possible tour as

Bluff Cove Lagoon (Is this good for lots of penguins?) Tumbledown, Mt Harriet, Mt William, Two Sisters and Fitzroy. Perhaps going on the Goose Green.

He replied with

First to Berthas Beach which is a similar location to Bluff cove but will not be crowded with lots of other tourists. (To visit Bluff Cove you need to book a tour from your ship as they have some arrangement between the landowners and cruise operators).

From Berthas Beach we could go into Fitzroy on the way back to Stanley, there you can see several Memorials where the ships Sir Galahad & Sir Tristram were bombed by Argentine Skyhawks and over 50 British troops were killed there. Also they have a small display of photographs etc taken at the time in the Community hall at Fitzroy which we could take a look at. Then there is an hours journey back to Stanley and time depending we can probably nip up onto Wireless Ridge for a look up there and also a good opportunity for photos of Stanley and surrounding hills etc from up there.

I have not yet replied What do you think? Are these sites interesting or can we lose a couple and spend more at others Will we ladies see penguins up close?

Hi,

You will see penguins and chicks at Bertha's Beach. They are there all year round.

And from Wireless ridge, you will get a good view of the surrounding hills like Tumbledown, Longdon, Two Sisters, etc.

He'll know best what the driving and walking times are and am sure will tweak it to suit your time and enthusiasm.

Fitzroy should be interesting. A huge disaster - the men should have been on dry land, not cooped up on a ship in broad daylight for hours.

The more you know, the more you'll appreciate the trip. We've just had 55 Veterans here this week - returning for the first time. Very moving.

Hi,

You will see penguins and chicks at Bertha's Beach. They are there all year round.

And from Wireless ridge, you will get a good view of the surrounding hills like Tumbledown, Longdon, Two Sisters, etc.

He'll know best what the driving and walking times are and am sure will tweak it to suit your time and enthusiasm.

Fitzroy should be interesting. A huge disaster - the men should have been on dry land, not cooped up on a ship in broad daylight for hours.

The more you know, the more you'll appreciate the trip. We've just had 55 Veterans here this week - returning for the first time. Very moving.

Thank you I am off on a different cruise this week so am putting this on the back burner for now Thanks everyone for your input :)

I am on the same cruise as Windsor26 and have booked a ship`s tour to see the Sparrow Cove Penguins - it is not the only port that I have booked a penguin tour - the other one is in Punta Arenas - just wondering what you think of the Sparrow Cove for a tour.

Thanks and cheers

Dennis

SHips due in Stanley in February (some are scheduled but not confirmed, yet) -

Veendam, Star Princess, Seabourn Sojourn, Seven seas marine, Regatta, Celebrity Infinity, Hanseatic, Adonia, Voyager, Grand Princess, NG Explorer.

And, yes, the trip to Volunteer Beach is long and bumpy. I went yesterday, and we went slowly as we had 3 TV crews with us, so they were always stopping to film the 4x4s negotiating some tricky section. Left at 8am, got back at 6pm.

There are Magellanic, Rockhopper and Gentoo penguins within 10 miles of Stanley. Sparrow Cove is convenient because, as others mentioned, you go straight from the ship in a tender, then a short 4x4 ride.

There are also historic and battlefield tours you can do around Stanley.

peterscot - thank you for posting here on cruisecritic to answer questions for those of us hoping to visit your part of the world. We are taking an excursion to Bluff Cove - assuming we get calm enough seas to tender in. I think fog can also be a problem for getting in to Stanley. Would we be better off booking an 8:30 a.m. tour or might we have the best chance of getting in by booking a later tour?

Archived