price of DCL, CCL, and RCL - same date and category

This past weekend, my SIL, who has never been on a cruise but would like to take one now that her children are old enough in her and her husband's opinion, was asking me about how much did I think it would cost her family (2 parents, 4 kids) to take a Disney cruise. I gave her my best guess based on two oceanview rooms (which turned out to be accurate), and she was pleasantly surprised that the cost was not much different than what they spend on a land-based vacation. I went further to explain that RCL or CCL would be even cheaper. She is only interested in DCL, but because I became curious as to how much cheaper RCL and CCL would be, I did a simple comparison search on travelocity using the following criteria. I thought I would share.

Date: September 14, 2013

Length: 7 days

Port of Departure: Port Canaveral

Itinerary: Western Caribbean

Category: oceanview (deck 2 on DLC and RCL and deck 1 on Carnival)

Number or rooms: 2

Here's the total

Carnival: $4110.18 (not ES)

Royal Car: $4150.00

Disney: $6,586.12

I dont think you can draw any conclusions based on one date, though I see people doing it all the time.

I found a $599 gty on DCL and the only reason I cancelled was I didnt want to fly to Florida.

GTYs on RCL are much the deal as are last minute rates.

I have had great gtys on RCL .. once inside gty, got a PR and got a OV, nice upgrades, carnival gty is more expensive than ES .. and rarely gives any kind of meaningfull upgrade.

So many variables, the only thing that is pretty much always true is disney is higher priced than RCL or Carnival.

This past weekend, my SIL, who has never been on a cruise but would like to take one now that her children are old enough in her and her husband's opinion, was asking me about how much did I think it would cost her family (2 parents, 4 kids) to take a Disney cruise. I gave her my best guess based on two oceanview rooms (which turned out to be accurate), and she was pleasantly surprised that the cost was not much different than what they spend on a land-based vacation. I went further to explain that RCL or CCL would be even cheaper. She is only interested in DCL, but because I became curious as to how much cheaper RCL and CCL would be, I did a simple comparison search on travelocity using the following criteria. I thought I would share.

Date: September 14, 2013

Length: 7 days

Port of Departure: Port Canaveral

Itinerary: Western Caribbean

Category: oceanview (deck 2 on DLC and RCL and deck 1 on Carnival)

Number or rooms: 2

Here's the total

Carnival: $4110.18 (not ES)

Royal Car: $4150.00

Disney: $6,586.12

What ships? That would have a big impact on my decision. To me it doesn't matter what line, but what ammenities the specific ships has to offer.

You also won't need two rooms on Disney. We did the gty DCL for four in a room and our room was huge. It's of the same design of CCL's new family oceanviews. It has two distinct sections of living and bedroom. It easily sleeps four, and no one is over the parents' bed.

OP- The DCL Fantasy is a beautiful ship and if their kids are the right ages and they are Disney fans and they can afford it....they should go for it!!! If you've never been on a DCL cruise, you should try it once. They really do a fabulous job with the kids. Well, kids of any age, really. DH and I went last month without our kids.

Firefly - Please let me know where you find $599 gty rates on DCL; I'll book them tomorrow! We paid an unholy fortune (in my mind, DH was happy because he likes their ships) to sail Fantasy.

tamirpr - they will need two rooms unless they get a suite; there are six of them. The deluxe family verandah (which they upgraded me and DH to) was very nice and very big. 299 sq feet and slept 5. The only problem that occurred to me was that if you had 5 in it, due to the murphy bed for the 5th person, you wouldn't have access to the verandah while the bed was down.

Yep, if you're not loyal to one cruiseline you can get some great deals by comparison shopping. tamirpr, your comment about the Disney staterooms is very helpful for anyone looking to try Disney with a family that thinks the prices are untouchable.

I love having Loyalty only to myself and my bank account!

For someone whose main decision making factor is price, it would make sense to book a Carnival cruise, but there are many passengers out there who want a more polished and upscale experience, have the money, and don't mind paying extra to have the type of vacation they truly want.

If I was set on a Disney cruise because of all the things that set it apart from a Carnival cruise, there wouldn't be any deal on Carnival good enough to change my mind..

Carnival is not the right choice for everyone just because its usually cheaper.

You also won't need two rooms on Disney. We did the gty DCL for four in a room and our room was huge. It's of the same design of CCL's new family oceanviews. It has two distinct sections of living and bedroom. It easily sleeps four, and no one is over the parents' bed.

I thought they said there were 6 in their family?

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 adults and 4 kids = 6 people

Firefly - Please let me know where you find $599 gty rates on DCL; I'll book them tomorrow! We paid an unholy fortune (in my mind, DH was happy because he likes their ships) to sail Fantasy..

I know on Disney to book the day rates come out. Disney rates go up up and up .. hardly ever come down.

Most who do Disney know to book the minute the rates are released.

I know on Disney to book the day rates come out. Disney rates go up up and up .. hardly ever come down.

Most who do Disney know to book the minute the rates are released.

I didn't know this, but will keep it on mind for future travels. I want to take DD on DCL but will wait until she is older.

I have priced DCL several times (clearly not the day rates came out) for the times we can cruise with the kids (so not mid-October or January when you can get the kids sail free type deals), and I have never found DCL affordable when I compare it to the cruises I can get on CCL (and probably RCI). I've had a few friends who recently went on DCL, and I asked them for their honest opinion about whether they thought DCL was worth the extra they paid versus the cruises they had been on in the past (non-DCL), and they have all said no. I was on the fence for a long time, because it was going to cost us a good $2000-3000 more to cruise DCL, but I just can't justify spending the extra money. I would love the experience, but the price tag just keeps me away. (And this is only my personal opinion.)

Our kids are are 12 and 9. We sailed the end of April in a 4 person family balcony on Liberty Eastern for about $2300 including fees. We are sailing the Breeze 8 day Eastern in 2014 and it's about $2400 for 4 person inside with hallway view. Airfare is higher for us than cruise fare no matter where we sail from.

How much extra is Disney and what extras are provided? Soda is free but what else? Also are you allowed to bring wine or small amount of liquor on board?

Frankly to each his own. I would say don't go by others opinion. I have done two DCL cruises with my kids, taking my parents on carnival next month and doing Alaska next year again with my family.

I would have say , while DCl costs are high compared to carnival so far I havn't found a lot of difference between a comparable ship in RCL with DCL. By that I mean one with the dreamworlds experience .

Also, the DCL experience was the one that got me hooked onto cruising. So in a way the other lines owe it to DCL :)

Our kids are are 12 and 9. We sailed the end of April in a 4 person family balcony on Liberty Eastern for about $2300 including fees. We are sailing the Breeze 8 day Eastern in 2014 and it's about $2400 for 4 person inside with hallway view. Airfare is higher for us than cruise fare no matter where we sail from.

How much extra is Disney and what extras are provided? Soda is free but what else? Also are you allowed to bring wine or small amount of liquor on board?

They do have a soda fountain, available all day and all night, but it's hardly FREE. For the difference in cost, you're paying a bundle for that "free" soda.

And yes, on DCL, you're allowed to bring alcohol and wine onboard. But you have to carry it on, you can't put it in your checked luggage. Most people think this is a huge plus, but when some of their comparable cruise itineraries are $1000-$2000 more, I don't see myself drinking that much alcohol....

Careful, this statement is misleading. The two twin beds that can be pushed together to make a queen size bed are right next to the sofa/sleeper, with only a curtain to divide them. If I were trying to picture the way you stated it in my mind, without seeing it in person, I'd picture it far differently.

An oceanview on Disney is comparable to a very small standard hotel room....only more narrow.

Frankly to each his own. I would say don't go by others opinion. I have done two DCL cruises with my kids, taking my parents on carnival next month and doing Alaska next year again with my family.

Yes, I totally agree. If you want the Disney cruise experience, then it may be totally worth it to pay the extra money. This is definitely what I went back and forth on, and in the end, it is just too much for us...but it may be really worth it for someone else.

I guess that is the question, we like Disney (kids have been 3 times though were tiny the first time), we like cruising (only been on 1), but do we need a Disney Cruise. I'll probably have 2 teens by then, so not sure if the Disney cruise is necessary. Other options are to try RCL or NCL for some of their different activities. Are the rock climbing, flow rider etc options included in cruise prices. My almost 10 year old is very cautious, can't swim but likes pools, wouldn't try the water slide that landed in the 6" water, is afraid of heights - but was saying he wanted to try the flow rider in Grand Turk. DD (12) is up for trying anything and everything.

Archived