Where can you eat after boarding?

jasbo49

Anybody know what dining options there are besides the buffet after boarding on Day 1? The first four cruises we went on, we were aware of nothing else being open, so we did battle in the buffet. Our last cruise, on NCL, we knew that one of the MDRs was open, so we headed there. That sure was a more relaxing first meal.

So anybody know what's open on Carnival ships?

Jim

Anybody know what dining options there are besides the buffet after boarding on Day 1? The first four cruises we went on, we were aware of nothing else being open, so we did battle in the buffet. Our last cruise, on NCL, we knew that one of the MDRs was open, so we headed there. That sure was a more relaxing first meal.

Jim

These are open..

Name: The Lido

Location: Lido Deck 9 - midship and aft / Panorama Deck 10 - aft

Hours: open for breakfast-lunch-dinner

Pizzeria open 24 hours

Hot/cold beverages open 24 hours

Function: Self-Service Casual Restaurant / Late Night Bistro - dinner

Hot and Buffet / Specialty Stations: Buffet featuring pastas, stir-fry, carving station - choices may vary among the fleet

Salad Bar: Elaborate salad bar featuring 35 items

The Grill: Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and fries

Taste of Nations: Featuring a different International cuisine each day

New York Deli: Deli Sandwiches piled-high and favorite sides

Mexican: Burrito Bar where guests can create overstuffed wraps featuring choices of chicken, beef, shrimp, salsa and other accompaniments

Indian Tandoor: A Tandoor oven offering Indian-style chicken, fish and meatballs along with traditional bread, chutneys and relishes

Mongolian Wok: Mongolian wok offering custom-made stir-fry with the guest's choice of meat and vegetables and finished with one of Carnival's signature sauces

Pizzeria: 24-Hour Pizzeria with seven kinds of pizza, calzone, Caesar salad and garlic bread

Desserts: Variety of desserts including sugar-free selections

The buffets.....when we, as passengers are boarding, the dining staff not working the buffet area are loading the ship with food, moving the suitcases, working stuff into the kitchens, cooking, etc, In other words they are all working doing something to make the rest of the week perfect for you- the cruiser. I too hate the buffet madness, but my new theory is, don't board hungry, wait til you can get in your cabin, and then go get something to munch on, when you don't have to lug every thing around with you.:) And no, there is no room service either.

Lido is the only deck open for food, but you'll get lots of options-- Mongolian Wok, Pizza, ice cream/frozen yogurt, salad, deli, cold cuts, fruit, cheese, etc.

Holland America is the only cruise line I've experienced that has opened MDR for a sit-down lunch for repeat cruisers.

Lido is the only deck open for food, but you'll get lots of options-- Mongolian Wok, Pizza, ice cream/frozen yogurt, salad, deli, cold cuts, fruit, cheese, etc.

Holland America is the only cruise line I've experienced that has opened MDR for a sit-down lunch for repeat cruisers.

NCL has one of the dining rooms open. I love the chaos of the first day, though!

Jim

Well I know that when we boarded the Dream in 2010 the MDR was open for lunch...But don't think this was done on any other Carnival ship, not sure but this was the case when we cruised in 2010....Thats when I had my Celebration Sundae....and one of the few times I could get it(little did I realize!)

Rfemember food isn't only in the buffet area. There is food in the main pool area and depending on the ship food outside on the aft of the buffet. Some ship even have a station upstairs that is usually not crowded the first day because it hasn't been discovered yet.

Are you asking about the Splendor?

Other areas beside the buffet area---

Burgers, etc facing the pool.

Deli and Tandoori outside on the Aft deck

Rotisserie chicken upstairs from the buffet

When we boarded the Magic last week.

There was a group of waiters in the Lobby asking if anyone was hungry?

Well that happens to be us.:D

We were lead to the Northern Lights Dining Room, sat down at a table and given menus.

Thought,, this is New!

This was far more relaxing than going to the buffet on the Lido deck.

These are open..

Name: The Lido

Location: Lido Deck 9 - midship and aft / Panorama Deck 10 - aft

Hours: open for breakfast-lunch-dinner

Pizzeria open 24 hours

Hot/cold beverages open 24 hours

Function: Self-Service Casual Restaurant / Late Night Bistro - dinner

Hot and Buffet / Specialty Stations: Buffet featuring pastas, stir-fry, carving station - choices may vary among the fleet

Salad Bar: Elaborate salad bar featuring 35 items

The Grill: Hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken sandwiches and fries

Taste of Nations: Featuring a different International cuisine each day

New York Deli: Deli Sandwiches piled-high and favorite sides

Mexican: Burrito Bar where guests can create overstuffed wraps featuring choices of chicken, beef, shrimp, salsa and other accompaniments

Indian Tandoor: A Tandoor oven offering Indian-style chicken, fish and meatballs along with traditional bread, chutneys and relishes

Mongolian Wok: Mongolian wok offering custom-made stir-fry with the guest's choice of meat and vegetables and finished with one of Carnival's signature sauces

Pizzeria: 24-Hour Pizzeria with seven kinds of pizza, calzone, Caesar salad and garlic bread

Desserts: Variety of desserts including sugar-free selections

So what is the resturant upstairs from the Lido on the Splendor,

I know on the Dream it is Italian, and on the Liberty and Valor, it is Fish and Chips,

When we boarded the Magic last week.

There was a group of waiters in the Lobby asking if anyone was hungry?

Well that happens to be us.:D

We were lead to the Northern Lights Dining Room, sat down at a table and given menus.

Thought,, this is New!

This was far more relaxing than going to the buffet on the Lido deck.

My feelings exactly. It would be nice if they could do this fleetwide.

Jim

My feelings exactly. It would be nice if they could do this fleetwide.

Jim

Seams like it could be a good way to pass the time till the rooms are ready.

They could slow the service, so you can read the fun times, and decide what you want to do, and enjoy lunch.

I would be all for this.

I know on the Dream it is Italian, and on the Liberty and Valor, it is Fish and Chips,

Post #11 says: Rotisserie chicken upstairs from the buffet. I haven't been on her yet but looking forward to it for next year :). m--

Apparently on the Splendor, it's the Rotisserie: Chicken, corn on the cob, mac n cheese. Stuff like that. I don't think it's a restaurant per se, more an upward extension of the buffet. Still, that sounds like the best option to me since it's on Deck 10, our "home" deck. When they call out rooms ready, we'll be almost home. Some people say it's pretty good, especially the mac n cheese, and never crowded early in the cruise.

Jim

Archived