Ruins or Snorkling

wordsneeded

My husband and I are going on our first Caribbean cruise with another couple for my 30th birthday, and we definitely want to see Mayan ruins, but there is also a snorkeling excursion we want to do in Belize (Rays & Sharks!!!) so we're trying to decide if we can see the ruins in Cozumel, and snorkel in Belize.. or maybe vice-versa? Our ports will be Cozumel, Belize, Roatan & Grand Caymans - any advice is appreciated for this newbie! :)

The really good snorkeling in Belize is too far to get to if you are oinly there for a day. We have been there 3 times now. Lamanai is an incredible mayan ruins site in Belize. We did this tour with Belize Cruise Excursions and it was amazing. Crocodiles, howler monkeys and the blue butterflies in addition to the incredible ruins. Goff's Caye had nice snorkeling but nothing compared to snorkeling in Grand Cayman, Roatan or Cozumel.

The Snorkeling in Cayman is shallower ( is that a word? ) and clearer and usually pretty calm. In Cozumel its deeper water and can be rougher but a lot to see there. Roatan as great shallow water snorkeling and is located on the same barrier reef that extends beyond Belize.

Thanks just my take;)

We'd snorkel in Belize, for sure & we go with Coral Breeze Tours for the reef snorkeling, sharks & Rays & the local lunch on Caye Caulker.

Heni is the group leader & does a super job of leading her group snorkeling thru the reef & then attracting the sharks & rays to her boat for you to play with.

Look up their site for all of this info.

Enjoy Belixe !

Bill in FL

If you are going to Roatan and snorkeling is something you are interested in doing, you might want to check out this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1469343

Agreed. This thread is exactly what we're doing on our next stop in Roatan. Went on a private snorkel last time and it wasn't long enough. Need more

Cozumel and Belize have wonderful reef systems. At Cozumel you will find little or no ruins and will have to travel by boat to Tulum or by boat and bus to Chichen Itza. On the other hand, you can step off the dock and be diving in 20 minutes.

Belize City,on the other hand, is 30 miles from Ambergris Caye, the most popular dive spot, and 15 miles from Caye Caulker.

I would suggest diving at Cozumel and touring ruins in Belize. The ruins at Lamanai are fantastic and the people along the way all speak english. If you want to make your day in Belize extra special, hire a private tour guide. We used Dave's Eco Tours on our last trip and felt like we had the best food, drink, and guide. We liked going at our own pace and Dave was very accommodating.

Either way you will love Belize and Cozumel. Enjoy

It's a tough call. Both Cozumel and Belize are great places for snorkeling. IMHO, the best port to see great Mayan ruins is Progresso (from where you can go to Chichen Itza or Uxmal). But Progresso is not one of your ports. From Cozumel you can go to Tulum, which is a beautiful seaside Mayan ruin. From Belize there are a couple of options. I think either option will be fine.

Archived