Did You Receive a State Discount (based on residence)?

As a follow up to my earlier post on why RCI offers discounts based on the state in which you live, I'd like to see whether the various theories hold water (no pun intended:). Do most people get discounts for cruises that depart from nearby ports or is RCI trying to woo people from more distant states?

For those who've received "state" discounts in the past couple of years, would love to see you post the state in which you reside and the port from which your cruise departed.

I would volunteer to go first but have never had the pleasure of a discount based on where I live.:(

We've received a good number of state discounts over the last few years. We live in Illinois and have received state discounts for cruises out of Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, Miami, Galveston, and San Pedro.

For our last cruise on NOS we received a residency discount. The cruise departed from Port Everglades (Fort Lauderdale, FL) and we live in NC.

We booked the cruise over Memorial Day weekend last year. There was a big sale going on at the time - we did not get reduced deposits or an OBC, just a price reduction when I entered our state of residence. (I also recall our cruise tickets indicating that we had received a special rate and to remember to bring the supporting documentation with us to the pier or else we would have to pay additional before boarding.)

Always check the residency box, never had it apply. I generally cruise on school break weeks, that may be why. I also wondered what the criteria was for them to apply the law inforcement discount, and the armed forces discount. We would be eligible for both, but they have never applied to our sailing. Once I *thought* it applied, but alas I had plugged in the wrong date!:eek:

Always check the residency box, never had it apply. I generally cruise on school break weeks, that may be why. I also wondered what the criteria was for them to apply the law inforcement discount, and the armed forces discount. We would be eligible for both, but they have never applied to our sailing. Once I *thought* it applied, but alas I had plugged in the wrong date!:eek:

My resident discounts were almost ALL over Easter Week! We have also received the Military Discount several times. It is usually equivalent to the resident discount savings. Sometimes we have had them both available at the same time (but can only choose one, of course). Sometimes we got NADA! :p;)

My resident discounts were almost ALL over Easter Week! We have also received the Military Discount several times. It is usually equivalent to the resident discount savings. Sometimes we have had them both available at the same time (but can only choose one, of course). Sometimes we got NADA! :p;)

Interesting. Do you recall how close to sailing they were offered? We are going out of Baltimore in February....I will keep checking!

We booked our Oasis for June 30 in April - so only 2 1/2 months out. Got a state residency discount, we live in Florida. We are also eligible for military and 55+ (DH, not me) discount, but they didn't apply to this cruise.

We did book through an on-line agent and they still gave us pre-paid grats, special dinner and one spa since we books a balcony, even with getting the residency discount. I had checked RC directly and they offered that discount. I did notice it went away about a week later.

It all depends on how well the cruise is selling out. We live in NC and have received the resident's discount and the senior discount quite a few times out of many different ports. Once or twice, the discount was subsatantial. Haven't received any of these recently, though.

Interesting. Do you recall how close to sailing they were offered? We are going out of Baltimore in February....I will keep checking!

Typically when I have gotten a resident/military/senior discount it has been very close to final payment when it was offered, so probably 3 or 4 months out from the sail date. Just keep checking! :D

Archived