Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

cespo

How come then the port sites says for a 4 day cruise, parking is $75...that's actually $18.75/day ...it says a 3 day cruise is $60. This is from the port's site:

"Whether you park in one of our terminal lots or parking garages, the rate* for the following cruises are: 3-day, $60; 4-day, $75; 5-day, $90, and 7-day, $120 for vehicles up to 20 feet in length. For vehicles longer than 20 feet, the rates are $104, $130, $156 and $208 respectively.

Preferred Parking is offered at Cruise Terminal 8 and is located right next to the terminal, the rate is $20.00 more than the standard parking rates, regardless of cruise length."

Because they don't charge by 24 hours increments but by days with the clock starting at 12:01 am. So on a three day you get there at noon on Saturday (day one for parking purposes), and you are gone Sunday and Monday (day two and three), and return Tuesday at 7:00 am( day four.)

How come then the port sites says for a 4 day cruise, parking is $75...that's actually $18.75/day ...it says a 3 day cruise is $60. This is from the port's site:

"Whether you park in one of our terminal lots or parking garages, the rate* for the following cruises are: 3-day, $60; 4-day, $75; 5-day, $90, and 7-day, $120 for vehicles up to 20 feet in length. For vehicles longer than 20 feet, the rates are $104, $130, $156 and $208 respectively.

Preferred Parking is offered at Cruise Terminal 8 and is located right next to the terminal, the rate is $20.00 more than the standard parking rates, regardless of cruise length."

A 4 day is not printed correctly, it's 4 night. If the rate is $15, that covers arrival day, days cruising, and a few hours after debarking, so they charge for 5 days.

It's not $17 a day, it's $15 a day. Please get your facts straight.

$70 for two meals in Cracker Barrel or Denny's maybe--if that's what you consider a fine meal, good for you. it still doesn't negate that fact that people spend thousands and thousands to cruise and then get upset over an extra $50 in parking costs.

ducklite is right that it is $15 a day not $17. The confusion comes from the fact that they charge for any part of any day as a whole day. They don't go by 24 hr periods. That's why they charge for an extra day parking for every cruise. This is highly unusual.

As you can see, a 3 day cruise costs $60 which is 4 x $15, a 4 day cruise costs $75 which is 5 x$15, etc. I just don't like that part.

If I arrive at 11am one Saturday and leave at 8am the next Saturday I have been there 3 hours less than 7 days. I should pay for 7 not 8 days. Now if I leave after 11am then I should pay for 8 days. This is how I have seen it done at other parking lots and even with car rentals.

Sharon

Wondering how the rental car companies are going to handle it

Since it only applies to park and ride operation rental companies don't have to worry about it, nor do cab companies, bus companies, etc.

Why are you exaggerating the numbers Duck? That one place where you park and cruise is $6 a day......the port is $15 a day.....on a 7 day cruise you have to pay for 8 days. Last I knew....8 days X $9 more at the port = $72.....not the $50 that you keep saying. :cool:

Because they don't charge by 24 hours increments but by days with the clock starting at 12:01 am. So on a three day you get there at noon on Saturday (day one for parking purposes), and you are gone Sunday and Monday (day two and three), and return Tuesday at 7:00 am( day four.)

Right. It's like car rental. You pick up the car at 6:00pm and return it the next day at 8:00am and you are charged for 2 days.

Why are you exaggerating the numbers Duck? That one place where you park and cruise is $6 a day......the port is $15 a day.....on a 7 day cruise you have to pay for 8 days. Last I knew....8 days X $9 more at the port = $72.....not the $50 that you keep saying. :cool:

OK, so it's $72--actually less, because there's no tax on Port parking but there is tax on off-site parking. The point remains, when one is spending thousands on a cruise, the parking cost should be irrelevant.

You can bet your last money that the other cruise ports will soon be doing the same....this is just the beginning. I know Tampa and Miami both have off-site parking lots that charge a lot less than parking at the Port garage.

Port of Galveston has been doing it for years. They charge based on the capacity of the vehicles. That is why the hotels there don't give you free parking for the week and a free shuttle to the port. They charge for the shuttle now to make up the cost.

See if this copies:

Starts on page 12

http://www.portofgalveston.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=31

Type of Vehicle and Vehicle Decal and Access Charge:

Seating Capacity:

Bus, Commercial Passenger

Vehicle, or Courtesy Vehicle $10.00 per decal per vehicle, annually and

with Seating Capacity of greater $50.00 per Access/Trip

than fifteen (15) persons

(**Except as noted in Notes D & E, below)

Commercial Passenger Vehicle, Courtesy

Vehicle, Shuttle or Limousine with $10.00 per decal per annually and

Seating Capacity of fifteen (15) persons $20.00 per Access / Trip

Commercial Passenger Vehicle, Courtesy

Vehicle or Shuttle with Seating Capacity $10.00 per decal per vehicle, annually and

of up to fourteen (14) persons $10.00 per Access / Trip

Limousine or Taxi and Taxicabs with $10.00 per decal per vehicle, annually and

Seating Capacity of nine (9) to fourteen $10.00 per Access / Trip

(14) persons

Limousines with Seating Capacity of

not more than eight (8) persons $10.00 per decal per vehicle, annually

Taxi and Taxicabs with Seating Capacity

of not more than eight (8) persons $7.50 per decal per vehicle, annually

Note D. Those Off-Port Parking Users, as defined herein, in operation and accessing the Texas Cruise Ship Terminal on Galveston Island®, or the Texas Cruise Ship Terminal at Pier 27, collectively the Cruise Ship Terminal Complex, as of August 15, 2006 shall, in lieu of the Access/ Trip fee, be subject to a monthly Access Fee equal to the amount of $8.00 per parking space located in the Off-Port Parking User’s parking facility, with number of billable parking spaces to be confirmed by

Note E. Parking Fees - Those Charter Bus Owners and Operators, as defined herein, in operation and accessing the Texas Cruise Ship Terminal on Galveston Island®, or the Texas Cruise Ship Terminal at Pier 27, collectively the Cruise Ship Terminal Complex, as of December 17, 2007 shall, in lieu of the payment of Initial Application and Renewal Fees for Port Use Permits, Decal Fees and/or the Access/ Trip fee, be subject to a Parking Fee equal to the amount of $50.00 per each use of any bus parking space located in the Cruise Ship Terminal Complex. Charter Bus Operators must provide sufficient advance notification to the Port, Attention of the Director of Administration, in advance of arrival at the Port to allow for review of the existence and sufficiency of the required insurance. Additionally, payment shall be made by check on arrival at the Cruise Ship Terminal Complex, unless prior acceptable payment arrangements have been made in advance with the Port.

I am curious to see what this means for us that are already booked in a hotel with shuttle service to the pier and parking at the hotel.....

PORT CANAVERAL — The Canaveral Port Authority board voted today to stop issuing new permits to operators of park-and-ride services to the port.

Commissioners see this as a way to help stop the erosion of port parking revenue, which is a major source of profit for Port Canaveral.

In addition, commissioners approved a new $50-per-trip fee on current providers of such park-and-ride operations, including local hotels and owners of parking lots.

The vote was 3-2, with Vice Chairman Tom Weinberg and Secretary-Treasurer Jerry Allender voting no. They felt they should have had more time to consider the options, which they first received during the meeting.

The commission stopped short of its parking consultant's recommendation to revoke all permits for current parking providers

If you stay at a hotel that includes a parking plan, the hotel will have to pay $50 trip fee to take you to the port? Guess they hope to dry up the free parking at the hotels. Taxi drivers will see an uptick in business for sure.

Of course if you look at it compared to what you spend on a cruise it is nothing. In fact, I will park at the port...BUT that doesn't mean it is not WAAAY overpriced. $12 for a 24 hour period should be plenty and they should do it like an airport where you clock in and clock out/pay.Carry On.

If you stay at a hotel that includes a parking plan, the hotel will have to pay $50 trip fee to take you to the port? Guess they hope to dry up the free parking at the hotels. Taxi drivers will see an uptick in business for sure.

I don't think it will dry up free parking. They'll just put a charge on you for that transport.

Does anyone know if the 50$ fee is just one way or dropping off and then another 50 for pick up? And any idea of how many people are included in this 50 dollar fee? meaning is it per person or for a family?

>_< i hate when i budget and have to re do it do to things like that

This only affects the park and ride?

I will at Port C, but only because my cruise has it's first stop there (we come out of Baltimore) and we are doing our own NASA excursion, because it is cheaper.

I told my friends that getting a shuttle to and from NASA should not be that expensive...I just don't want to become a liar haha.

It was two weeks, not three.

I'm an average person as well. You'll notice that we take a long time between cruises instead of cruising two and three times a year like some people do. We do this so that we can afford to cruise on ships that suit us and for longer or more expensive trips. The point remains, $50 shouldn't be a big deal when someone has spent thousands for the cruise and related costs.

I wouldn't spend more than $800 or $900 on a cruise and the difference in parking at the port and one of the outside lots is $70 for a 7 night cruise.

I don't think the price difference is the issue, people don't like feeling ripped off.. and they also don't like a government agency trying to force it's competition out of business.

Luckily I already made my reservation for September at 4.95 a night, but I am curious if it will still be honored or not. I agree we will start seeing prices increase...

Where did you find it for $4.95? I couldn't find anything cheaper than $5.95..

Where did you find it for $4.95? I couldn't find anything cheaper than $5.95..

It is at the raddisson, booked back in march.

The part that really annoys me is the difference is port parking to off site parking. If port parking was more reasonable I would be there in a heart beat, but the price difference is way too much.

Does anyone know if the 50$ fee is just one way or dropping off and then another 50 for pick up? And any idea of how many people are included in this 50 dollar fee? meaning is it per person or for a family?

>_< i hate when i budget and have to re do it do to things like that

It is per van load,not per person or per family. It is also per trip into the facility.

So with a 10 passenger van it would be $5 per person each way. Not really that much, and much less than a cab.

It's not $17 a day, it's $15 a day. Please get your facts straight.

$70 for two meals in Cracker Barrel or Denny's maybe--if that's what you consider a fine meal, good for you. it still doesn't negate that fact that people spend thousands and thousands to cruise and then get upset over an extra $50 in parking costs.

Actually $70 now covers 2 meals in the Steakhouse

and...many of us (me me me) don't usually spend "thousands" to cruise on Carnival, especially not to the Caribbean

If you have money to burn, go for it....I just think it is counter productive when people jump in with such "contrary" ideas....obviously most of us posting here are of the mindset to not waste money on port parking

It is a big deal..which is why people are upset. Maybe your financial situation is different, or maybe you just like to throw money around.

Hey...go for it....rent yourself a limo to bring you and your family to the port....why not your own helicopter?? You can hire a rockstar tour bus and have them drive you to the port....It's only money

I too like to just park at the ship and walk on....not deal with a shuttle ,etc. however, I do think the policy Sux for those that want to save a few bucks.

But question where do we rent such a rockstar bus????

Nothing like seeing your car from the ship at o dark 30 and on your way off!

Even rented the doubletree last trip amd the shuttle was to much of a hassle I just drove in the end.....will be here in 30 minutes...no maybe 45...etc...

Last one at 10???? Why the ship leaves at 4?

It is per van load,not per person or per family. It is also per trip into the facility.

So with a 10 passenger van it would be $5 per person each way. Not really that much, and much less than a cab.

Thank you for answering :). So with my family of 4 I can plan on between 5-12.50 per person lol I might have to make my decision then depending on how many is in the van. :p

This infuriates me.... I just sailed out of PC in May and felt raped when I exited the parking garage. They really do charge for 8 days and my car was there for less than 7 24 hour periods. So I paid for the Saturday I left the garage, then the next person came in and paid again for that same space that day after I left. That is just wrong.

They may do it other places but it is still wrong to charge the extra day. I was going to use the park and cruise next time...

By the time you spend the gas to drive south and pay their rates you probably won't save any money. But I will be looking a little more serious at Tampa now.

Its been awhile since we cruised out of PC.... My question is at other Ports shuttles were allowed to bring passengers into the terminal.... But to be picked up we had to go outside the terminal and catch the shuttle... If its this way at PC will they be able to charge the offsite parking folks the $50 both ways...

Sorry I just can't recall where the "terminal" begins and ends....

Joey

I wouldn't spend more than $800 or $900 on a cruise and the difference in parking at the port and one of the outside lots is $70 for a 7 night cruise.

I don't think the price difference is the issue, people don't like feeling ripped off.. and they also don't like a government agency trying to force it's competition out of business.

I'm assuming you mean $800-900 per person? If not, I think you are an anomoly and most people spend a lot more than that.

I just don't think the cost is that high--it's on par with other parking for the other ports.

Thank you for answering :). So with my family of 4 I can plan on between 5-12.50 per person lol I might have to make my decision then depending on how many is in the van. :p

I suspect that the park and ride lots will end up figuring out an average load per van and then upping the fare by $50/ average load.

I suspect that the park and ride lots will end up figuring out an average load per van and then upping the fare by $50/ average load.

Exactly. They will also probably wait longer and leave with fuller loads. It's probably going to work out to an extra $3 per person on average.

Archived