Port Canaveral votes to stop issuing permits to park-and-rides

cespo

Very few people fly in and take a shuttle to Cocoa, then take a shuttle to the port. Most people taking a shuttle from a hotel in Cocoa drove there.

I fly into Orlando and take a shuttle to a Cape Canaveral hotel and take a taxi the next day to the port. So this makes me one of the few.

I even spent some time yesterday looking for cruises out of Tampa to see if a switch would be reasonable.

I can do a B2B and get Coz + Coz/Grand Cayman rather than Freeport/Nassau + Freeport/Nassau/HMC. Any time I can get to HMC is good. But there's also the chance we could end up missing the port and all I'd get is Freeport and Nassau twice in 9 days. Not so great.

It's a few dollars more, but flights are actually less. And I'm pretty sure I could find a hotel with a shuttle from the airport and to the pier. Haven't done that research.

Would actually prefer to NOT fly into Orlando. After the last time, I swore I'd never sail from Port C again because of all the screaming kids on the Orlando flights! :eek:

These people may definitely be shooting themselves in their collective foot.

But, as with most things, the novice cruiser isn't even going to know that this is happening.

I don't think they considered a whole lot. They did a fast vote with no brainstorming as to what to do and how they were going to do it. There's so many unanswered questions and loose ends they didn't think about. I think they think we are stupid and will accept their decision gracefully. I'm sure if we put our own thinking caps on, we'll find a way to skirt the extra charges and not park at the port. Some will be more determined than ever to not park there. It's especially upsetting for those of us who live very near the port in the first place.

Locals start renting out spaces in their drive ways and dropping peeps off at the port :D

I'd do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locals start renting out spaces in their drive ways and dropping peeps off at the port :D

I'd do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, charge once for a car load (with a small luggage trailer), like they used to do when drive-ins were popular. It was amazing how many we could fit in the car when they did that:D

It was my understanding that this was for “Park and Sail” type places only. Not hotels. There have been a lot of complaints about the stand alone lots.

Maybe I should open a bed and breakfast and drive people to the port on weekends. ;)

I fly into Orlando and take a shuttle to a Cape Canaveral hotel and take a taxi the next day to the port. So this makes me one of the few.

We do the same thing. If the hotel provides transport we take that;

otherwise its a cab. Another one of the "few"

While its sucks, its less unfair than jacking the ships port fees up per every passenger who sails that day. I am really surprised they didnt do that as even then the $ might be minimal pp.

I'm not one to cry about fairness (and FL is quite a drive from MN so it's not likely to impact me often, if ever, anyhow), but if the objective is simply to raise revenue for the Port Authority why would targeting people parking be "less unfair" than any other scheme which spreads the burden over a larger base?

The reality is, the targets of this approach have little negotiating power, no voting power, no large long-term contracts to worry about, and only minimal incremental costs to absorb relative to other destinations with similar policies.

Why should they?

Personally I think it's much better to just park at the port than have to schlepp luggage in and out of a shuttle to park off-site. It's more conveinent and more efficient, not to mention that my vehicle is in a secure, covered lot as opposed to the middle of a field or out in the sun in a parking lot.

My guess is that 99.9% of the people who say they won't cruise out of PC ever again will, as soon as they find a cruise that costs then $14 less than one out of another port. It's the Wal-Mart syndrome that is pervasive in this country.

Choosing to depart from PC if it's the lowest cost for a given vacation (or more appropriately best value) would be the rational thing for anyone to do... The philosophical objection here is not the absolute cost but rather the distortion that large governmental, pseudo-governmental, or other monopolistic entities can impose on the overall environment. As such the "best value" will not be as good of an absolute value as it otherwise would have been...

Right. It's like car rental. You pick up the car at 6:00pm and return it the next day at 8:00am and you are charged for 2 days.

I don't often do 1 day rentals, but that's not how it has ever worked for me... So long as I return prior to pickup time I don't believe I've ever been charged for an extra day. In fact, most have an extra hour rate which gives you a little grace (2-3 hours) before you hit the full day rate when you need to go slightly over.

Or, charge once for a car load (with a small luggage trailer), like they used to do when drive-ins were popular. It was amazing how many we could fit in the car when they did that:D

Hey, they get like 15 people into one minivan in the Bahamas, so why not in FL too?:)

I guess that 15 million in profits so far this year just isn't enough? They never even considered lowering their prices a couple of bucks, or stopping the practice of charging for an extra day, in order to be competitive with the off site parking folks. I've always parked in their garages, until my last cruise, and I finally gave up and used "Park-n-Cruise" because I got tired of their over charging, but if they actually lowered the price, I'd come back to their garages. I guess it's just easier to bully those small business, and perhaps they can run 'em "out of business". To heck with all of 'em. I'll cruise from Tampa, Lauderdale, and Miami from now on.

"SKY"

The commissioners (not sure if city or county) have just rescinded the recently imposed

$50 fee per drop off for those off-site parking facilities, such as the Radisson. There apparently was quite a bit of reaction. They will not impose the fee, but they make take a look at other types of revenue. Just thought you'd like to know!

The commissioners (not sure if city or county) have just rescinded the recently imposed

$50 fee per drop off for those off-site parking facilities, such as the Radisson. There apparently was quite a bit of reaction. They will not impose the fee, but they make take a look at other types of revenue. Just thought you'd like to know!

Woo Hoo! Thank you, that is great news :D

Yes, this is very good news!

Just to clarify - this is 100% Port Canaveral Commission. No city or county involved in any of this mess. They are their own governmental body and are responsible for the Port. It was quite a meeting but the result appears to be good for everyone.

Such as raises port charges and screwing everyone? One way or another....

A way around this would be for the hotels to set up a contract with a taxi service in whic they pay them a small fee for their cruise customers. That would allow cruisers to park at hotel and still have a ride plus since its not a hotel shuttle they don't get charged the 50$ per trip fee!

So if I read the article correctly when they tried to call the CEO out on his under the table dealings he ran out of the room and they still voted to keep him?? Wild... it's nice to know that public outcry actually accomplished something though.

Archived