Carnival Destiny Questions

Sandoo

We are planning a family reunion for Dec. 2012. The family agreed on a 5 day cruise. The one that looks the most interesting is the Carnival Destiny which departs Dec. 29 and goes to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

My sister in law has never been on a Carnival cruise and claims that she has heard terrible things from her friends about Carnival. We on the other hand have been on 5 cruises - 4 on Carnival (Elation, Freedom, Conquest, and Valor) and 1 on Norwegian. After reading that the Destiny is going into dry dock Feb. 2013 and coming out with a new name, I have been reading reviews. The reviews say that the ship looks its age and needs an uplift.

My question to you all is this, if I convince my sister in law to go on the Destiny will everything that she heard about Carnival come true? I am looking for honest feedback both positive and negative about this ship.

Thanks in advance!!!

We are planning a family reunion for Dec. 2012. The family agreed on a 5 day cruise. The one that looks the most interesting is the Carnival Destiny which departs Dec. 29 and goes to Jamaica and Grand Cayman.

My sister in law has never been on a Carnival cruise and claims that she has heard terrible things from her friends about Carnival. We on the other hand have been on 5 cruises - 4 on Carnival (Elation, Freedom, Conquest, and Valor) and 1 on Norwegian. After reading that the Destiny is going into dry dock Feb. 2013 and coming out with a new name, I have been reading reviews. The reviews say that the ship looks its age and needs an uplift.

My question to you all is this, if I convince my sister in law to go on the Destiny will everything that she heard about Carnival come true? I am looking for honest feedback both positive and negative about this ship.

Thanks in advance!!!

My review is in my signature but we did the 4 day KW & Coz. I have seen quite a few newer ones lately so you can check those out.

We enjoyed the ship. Yes, some tiles are faded and the carpet isnt brand new looking but who pays attention to that when you are on the cruise. It was a great ship with fantastic staff! You will have a blast.

I have heard that Carnival is a party barge. If that was true I would not have sailed with them ten times. I have never seen anyone get too roudy. There will be a few drunks but I see that in downtown Podunk.

We did the Destiny's Bahama and Grand Turk itinerary back in April and it was one of our best trips. The buffet is lacking but the service and entertainment was good, the food in the MDR was very good, and our waite staff was the best that we have ever had.

The ships condition is not that bad. She shows her age but I do too. I would go again in a heartbeat.

We were on the Destiny in September ( review in my signature) to Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, Nassau.. We absolutely loved the ship, the decor, the itinerary..had a lovely time.

A cruise is what you make of it...if you cruise during peak 'college times', then you will get the crowd that goes with it, I suppose.

I did that itinerary in January. The Destiny was okay. As on all Carnival shps - save the new Breeze, the decor is loud. But I didn't mind it. The comedy shows were the best and we enjoyed the big screen at night.

But I think a better choice would be the Carnival Breeze which sails for 6 nights on the 30th. It just started sailing last week and is a beautiful, beautiful ship. It goes to Grand Turk, Jamaica and Nassau. A nice little itinerary. Believe me, if they agree to go on this, you will make them Carnival cruisers for life!

Here is a link to my Destiny review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1556858

Thanks in advance!!!

We did a family reunion 5 years ago on Carnival Destiny. There were 44 of our families and friends out of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

We all had a great time. Yes the ship is older and in need of being refurbished. I think if your family can wait until they are done with the remodeling you will not regret it.

Go to the carnival web site and look at the pictures of the ship after the remodeling (if they still have them posted) Carnival Destiny will be pretty amazing with all that they are planing on doing to it.

I'm sure you all will have a great time. I know my family and I did.

We've sailed her twice, most recently last July, and are booked on the12/29 sailing you're considering. New years at sea is a blast. Only concern i have is that when we booked our balcony last month all the ov cabins were already sold out. Been searching to see if a group/theme cruise is onboard and have not found anything.

Archived