Curious...Why Do People Prepay Gratuities and Sign-and-Sail Card

GradUT

I've taken a couple of cruises this year and may be cruising again later this year, so I've been reading the Carnival board with some interest. I see that some people pre-pay their gratuities and Sign-and-Sail Card when they book (months in advance) or sometime prior to sailing. Is there some economic reason for doing this of which I am unaware? I have always just waited to pay it off at the end of the cruise thinking that I should have use of that money now, not Carnival.

Am I missing something that I should know about prior to my next cruise?

I've taken a couple of cruises this year and may be cruising again later this year, so I've been reading the Carnival board with some interest. I see that some people pre-pay their gratuities and Sign-and-Sail Card when they book (months in advance) or sometime prior to sailing. Is there some economic reason for doing this of which I am unaware? I have always just waited to pay it off at the end of the cruise thinking that I should have use of that money now, not Carnival.

Am I missing something that I should know about prior to my next cruise?

I like prepaying as much as possible. This is why I prepay my gratuities. I also purchase several of the bar coupons and a photo coupon (for formal night picture) in advance. I also use strictly cash while onboard. I load some on my S&S card when I arrive onboard and replenish as needed up to the amount I have allotted for the cruise.

Paying in advance allows you not to be hit with a large amount on the statement. Maybe you pay airfare one month, hotel next month, final cruise payment next month, then tips... Sort of spacing out your expenses.

Also I've heard, it may be not about Carnival, if you have any time dining, it's a cruise line requirement - tips must be pre-paid.

Also I've heard, it may be not about Carnival, if you have any time dining, it's a cruise line requirement - tips must be pre-paid.

I've had YTD several times and never have had to pre-pay tips.

I've read this before, but it's just another rumor.

Paying in advance allows you not to be hit with a large amount on the statement. Maybe you pay airfare one month, hotel next month, final cruise payment next month, then tips... Sort of spacing out your expenses.

Actualy not true, i had ATD last year, and i chose to prepay my tips just about a month before my cruise. Did the same thing for our upcoming cruise.

I like to prepay to take it off the list of things to worry about. I wish you could include drinks as well. We did that once on Celebrity, and it was well worth it. Not because we drank too much, but because it was off the list!

I've done YTD my last few cruises, and the only time it was manditory to prepay the tips, was with RCL. When I booked the cruise on line and choose YTD, the web site automatically added the tips. There was a disclamier that if I stuck w/YTD I had to prepay the tips. Which I generally do anyway so I didn't mind, but it did annoy me that I HAD to.

Wasn't thrilled overall with RCL, so will only use them again if I get a really GREAT price.

I too like to space out my spending and not have a large bill at the end or have to put it on plastic.

I have done My Time Dining...Anytime dining-whatever you want to call it...and EVERYTIME I was told that gratuities HAVE to be pre-paid in order to do that....This has been on Carnival and RCI...can't speak for other lines

I like prepaying as much as possible. This is why I prepay my gratuities. I also purchase several of the bar coupons and a photo coupon (for formal night picture) in advance. I also use strictly cash while onboard. I load some on my S&S card when I arrive onboard and replenish as needed up to the amount I have allotted for the cruise.

Same here, would rather have everything paid and not have a huge bill at the end of a cruise.

I have done My Time Dining...Anytime dining-whatever you want to call it...and EVERYTIME I was told that gratuities HAVE to be pre-paid in order to do that....This has been on Carnival and RCI...can't speak for other lines

That's strange. I've never had to prepay.

I wonder why???

I've never had to prepay gratuities on Carnival when I've chosen YTD.

OP, we prepay gratuities for the convenience and sometimes preload OBC on our S&S, also for the convenience. There's no incentive to do so, just a personal preference. It's nice to have most of the vacation paid for before we go. I'd rather pay it before than have a balance afterward.

It's nice to have it paid off.

Another person posted this question awhile back. One answer they were given is that the steward gets a printout of who has prepaid and who has yet to pay. They stated that the prepay may get better service. Now, I'm not sure how true that is. I have not prepaid before and received the same treatment I do as when I prepay.

I prepay tips because that's one thing I won't have to worry about. I also put money onto my shipboard acct every payday so I can relax, and not worry about a big bill at the end of the cruise. Receiving a huge bill at the end really ruins the great, relaxed, had a super time, feeling for me. If I don't use it all, they will give it back at the end of the cruise.

I found it much easier to pay for a cruise ahead of time also. It took me years to pay off my first cruise. Not any more. All paid before I go. So much better.

It's hard enough getting off the ship, without knowing the bills will be waiting.. :eek:

I don't pre-pay anything. I have a trip savings account where I put money aside for my cruises. I would think it would be a nightmare getting all that pre-paid money back if for some reason you had to cancel your cruise. I would much rather save my money myself than let the cruise line have use of it so far ahead of my vacation.

I also use a credit card for my sign and sail account which has a cash back feature and I don't charge more than I can pay off each month so I don't carry a balance.

But to each his own!

OK, thanks for the info. It appears to be a personal choice for the sake of convenience or to apportion the costs of cruising.

I was just concerned that I was missing out on some sort of financial incentive to pre-pay. I'll just keep my money as long as I can and pay everything off at the end. Since I don't drink and I don't buy anything else on board (photos, excursions, etc.), I generally only have gratuities to pay at the end anyway. In fact, due to an OBC for an ES fare drop, I ended up getting a check back at the end of my last cruise!

Archived