Curious...Why Do People Prepay Gratuities and Sign-and-Sail Card

GradUT

We do not "Pre-Pay", I guess the wife and I are just old-fashioned, we hate to pre-pay a tip before services rendered ( and I hope this does not turn into the " it isn't really a tip opersay debate).

Now with that being said, we have always paid the normal gratutity listed on the S&S bill. Even on the last cruise where we twice witnessed staff verbal altercations with one another, we got missed on a daily room clean and saw nothing but frowns in the mdr, not one friendly greeting or smile the 4 timeswe ate there, we still paid the tips. Service and staff attitudes sure have changed in the few years we have cruised.

Anyway, tossing it on the S&S never bothers us, though I will admit, after 3 cruises, we have yet to top $30 dollars on our S&S ( not counting the added gratuities.)

The last cruise I went on was with a group, and organized by a TA. They asked that we pre-pay gratuities with our final payment. Since I don't generally like to pay for things ahead if I don't have to, I asked to pay them when onboard. The TA was fine with that, as long and my roommate and I both did the same.

So, in the time between final payment and when we sailed, the amount of the gratuities was raised. Those in our group who had prepaid we not charged any extra, but those of us who did not pre-pay had to pay the higher amount.

It was not a large sum, so it wasn't that big of a deal, but that would be one reason it would be an advantage to pre-pay.

That being said, my next cruise, I will not pre-pay either. I just like my money in my pocket until I absolutely have to part with it! :)

I don't get the "hold on to my money longer" mentality. Why does it matter if you pay something today or in three months??

Personally I don't consider money ear marked for something as mine anymore. I pre pay because it's easier for me to plan my budget. Already paid this, now next paycheck I will pay that kind of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prepaid the tips on our upcoming 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Splendor.i look at it as the money is going to be spent on tips rather it is pre paid or not, so why owe an additional $345 at the end of the cruise that I can pay early and get it out of the way. I also tend to pre pay for my excursions so that when we step on the ship our vacation is nearly 100% paid for. It is a personal decission, there is no right or wrong, just what ever your more comfortable doing.

Prepaid the tips on our upcoming 15 day cruise to Hawaii on the Splendor.i look at it as the money is going to be spent on tips rather it is pre paid or not, so why owe an additional $345 at the end of the cruise that I can pay early and get it out of the way. I also tend to pre pay for my excursions so that when we step on the ship our vacation is nearly 100% paid for. It is a personal decission, there is no right or wrong, just what ever your more comfortable doing.

Like!

.......And.....I wn't earn much on that money in the bank!

we were forced to pre pay our tips on the freedom cruise because we chose anytime dining, they were automatically put on and paid ahead of time, but i think they changed that policy because this time, we booked anytime dining and also for the breeze cruise in january and it was not automatically added to our booking total. I was surprized by it and wondered when it changed. but it was the policy last spring at least for Freedom anyway.

Well, I'm one of the ones that don't like money coming out of my pocket early, so I don't prepay. However, I DO have money automatically deducted every single week to my designated cruise account so that, at least, one cruise is paid for before the next one comes. I think I would poop my pants if I got off a ship owing a bunch of money that I didn't set aside before hand knowing that the next one is coming right up. I have it very carefully planned out. :D

I totally get pre-paying though. The interest rate earned on said account is just goofy. No real reason to hang onto it except that I feel like I got plenty of money...if only for a moment.

That's my problem. When I feel like I have plenty of money in the bank I find reasons to spend it on something else and am always playing catch up on my saving :D

Amazing how you simply can't live without a new such and such when you've got the money to pay for it!

I'm terrible at impulse buying when I have extra cash sitting around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, it just helps me budget for my cruise.

I pre-pay everything I can (grats. transfers, shore excursions when I'm sure it's the one I want)

I don't pre-pay my card because I never really know how much I'll spend.

I'd rather pay more upfront and then carry less cash with me (we like to settle our S&S with cash)

Put me on the list for those who prepay to "get it out of the way". It is one less worry when the Sign and Sail Statement comes. A cabin of 4 people is looking at $320 in gratuities for a 7 day cruise . . . it is great already having that taken care of.

still doesnt make sense to me. Why not just set the money aside in your bank account for these expenses and just have a huge S&S bill at the end. This bigger bill can be put on your credit card and paid when due a month later. I know its not much but TVM should be factored in. A few thousand dollars delayed a month or two is a free drink. Or if an emergency comes up where cash is needed, its there for you.

I see your logic, if that works for you great.

Personally, I don't like carrying a balance on my credit card at all. I like to pay it off as soon as I can.

also, what if you have an emergency AFTER the cruise, while your credit card is full of cruise stuff, and then you are short cash?

As people pointed out, there are arguements for both sides, no one is universally right or wrong, it's personal preference.

Paying in advance allows you not to be hit with a large amount on the statement. Maybe you pay airfare one month, hotel next month, final cruise payment next month, then tips... Sort of spacing out your expenses.

Also I've heard, it may be not about Carnival, if you have any time dining, it's a cruise line requirement - tips must be pre-paid.

Cruise Critic . . . greatest source of INFORMATION and, unfortunately, MISINFORMATION as well. Where do people get this crap ? :confused:

I've taken a couple of cruises this year and may be cruising again later this year, so I've been reading the Carnival board with some interest. I see that some people pre-pay their gratuities and Sign-and-Sail Card when they book (months in advance) or sometime prior to sailing. Is there some economic reason for doing this of which I am unaware? I have always just waited to pay it off at the end of the cruise thinking that I should have use of that money now, not Carnival.

Am I missing something that I should know about prior to my next cruise?

I never understood this either. If I wanted to psychologically prepay something to keep an expense down, I would overpay that amount on my credit card.

Archived