Help on Transport to Vancouver airport after Alaskan cruise

frogsinthecreek

We will be disembarking in Vancouver following our Alaskan cruise. There will be a total of 6 of us with a fair amount of luggage. Princess charges $29 per person to transport to the airport. I know there is a train, but given the luggage, would prefer not to walk it to the station. Would cab/taxi be better or has anyone used another form of shuttle? I'm not sure what time we will disembark but we have to quickly get to the airport for our flight. Thanks for your help

The times we have done it a cab was $35.00 for two of us plus tip a little lower price than Princess but two with luggage is about max. You probably could tightly fit a third in.

We have also done Princess with no problem think your ok either way.

Can't comment on train, but don't think so.

We will be disembarking in Vancouver following our Alaskan cruise. There will be a total of 6 of us with a fair amount of luggage. Princess charges $29 per person to transport to the airport. I know there is a train, but given the luggage, would prefer not to walk it to the station. Would cab/taxi be better or has anyone used another form of shuttle? I'm not sure what time we will disembark but we have to quickly get to the airport for our flight. Thanks for your help

Be careful if you take a cab as they are very small cars. We had 2 suitcases each and the trunk would not hold them all. We had to have one in the back seat. With tax and minus the tip the fare was $42.00. We then tipped another $8 on top of that so the total fare was $50. We decided we should have taken the transfer Princess offered. It would have been easier.

What time is your flight? If you take Princess shuttle you have to wait for the bus to be full before leaving. You will need probably three taxi's for that many people with luggage, possibly could squeeze into two.

We were in your shoes last Sept. However, there were only two of us. Based on the amt of luggage we had, we decided to take a taxi. I believe it cost about $28. (minus tip). It was very quick and we were happy to have plenty of time after checking in; the lines were LOOOONG. Allow yourself plenty of time! Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the replies. Our flight is at 11:30 am so I don't think we'll have much time to dilly dally. I have to try and master the art of packing into only a carry on. Just don't think I'm quite there yet! Anyone know when the earliest princess bus leaves the cruise terminal?

Anyone know when the earliest princess bus leaves the cruise terminal?

If you take the Princess transfer, they will put you on an appropriate run based on your airline departure time. As I recall, they distribute a questionnaire a night or two before arrival asking about departure times.

If you take the Princess transfer, they will put you on an appropriate run based on your airline departure time. As I recall, they distribute a questionnaire a night or two before arrival asking about departure times.

You need to verify the Princess limits on flight times. Not sure if 11:30am is within their guarantee range?

The key for an early flight is to self disembark and take a cab. Vancouver, flying into the US< needs at least a 2 hour window.

You can easily do it with two taxi vans or pre-order an SUV/stretch from Aerocar. Their prices are competitive and they'll will be waiting for you when you get off the ship.

With an 11:30 flight do not wait for Princess transfer; self-disembark as early as possible and get into taxis. You have to be at the airport by 9:30 for flight to US (assuming that is where you are headed) so you don't have time to wait around for Princess transfers.

The train is certainly the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get to the airport, but if you take too much luggage, that could be an issue. Truth be told, however, the walk to the train is no longer than the walk through many airports, and probably about the same as the walk from your cabin to the Princess bus.

It's a good idea to learn to travel as lightly as you possibly can. We always dress to the nines for formal nights and still never check more than one bag between the two of us. Standard luggage is one carry-on each, backback for DH and tote bag for me, plus one checked bag and we frequently forego the checked bag and just put the tux in a garment which we also take on the plane. We always make sure that our carry-ons contain all essentials for at least a few days, in the event the checked bag gets lost along the way. We learned a long time ago to make sure that we can navigate on our own with whatever luggage we take along on any trip to expand our options.

Another YVR alternative, which we used to use before the train was complete, is to take a bus. The buses will be in the cruise terminal when you depart and the last time we used them, I think it was about $10 pp. You don't need a reservation.

Most of the taxis in Vancouver are those small hybrids that don't have much trunk space. We've watched lots of cruisers struggle to get their luggage into/out of those cabs. There are some SUV's but not sure how you could arrange for those specifically, or if it's the luck of the draw in the cab line. The cab line can be very long.

I think you could get a couple of town cars or 1 stretch limo for the same or less than $29/person, they'll be there when you disembark, and would definitely be a classy/comfy way to get to the airport in time. We have a driver we've used a couple of times who could probably arrange something for you.

The train to the airport is cheap, but you need to schlep your luggage over to the train station.

We dislike the regimentation of cruise line bus transfers.

So to us it is well worth $40 or so for the ease, comfort and convenience of jumping into a taxi that takes us door-to-door.

I agree with Pamster that with 6 people, you may also want to consider booking a limo.

You need to verify the Princess limits on flight times. Not sure if 11:30am is within their guarantee range?

The key for an early flight is to self disembark and take a cab. Vancouver, flying into the US< needs at least a 2 hour window.

I just booked a cruise directly with Princess 2 weeks ago and we leave in 2 weeks. They told us for domestic flights that any flight after 11am was ok. For international they said 12 noon. Then they asked me if I where I was flying to. I said the US. They said they consider the US domestic and that any flight after 11am was fine.

Our flight is at 11:20am. We are taking a cab to beat the rush of the busses (Princess transfers) to the airport.

I just booked a cruise directly with Princess 2 weeks ago and we leave in 2 weeks. They told us for domestic flights that any flight after 11am was ok. For international they said 12 noon. Then they asked me if I where I was flying to. I said the US. They said they consider the US domestic and that any flight after 11am was fine.

Our flight is at 11:20am. We are taking a cab to beat the rush of the busses (Princess transfers) to the airport.

Take the Canada Line and you will beat the cabs. :D When we got to YVR, immigration was practically empty. I was stressing when we had a 12:50 flight. We had plenty of time.

Try Vancouver shuttle and charter. i think we are going to use them to and from the airport and cruise termial

The train is certainly the fastest, easiest and cheapest way to get to the airport, but if you take too much luggage, that could be an issue. Truth be told, however, the walk to the train is no longer than the walk through many airports, and probably about the same as the walk from your cabin to the Princess bus.

It's a good idea to learn to travel as lightly as you possibly can. We always dress to the nines for formal nights and still never check more than one bag between the two of us. Standard luggage is one carry-on each, backback for DH and tote bag for me, plus one checked bag and we frequently forego the checked bag and just put the tux in a garment which we also take on the plane. We always make sure that our carry-ons contain all essentials for at least a few days, in the event the checked bag gets lost along the way. We learned a long time ago to make sure that we can navigate on our own with whatever luggage we take along on any trip to expand our options.

Another YVR alternative, which we used to use before the train was complete, is to take a bus. The buses will be in the cruise terminal when you depart and the last time we used them, I think it was about $10 pp. You don't need a reservation.

I was told by someone that lives in the area after the train went into effect that there was no buses. Just passing it on.

The train has a surcharge of 5.00 going to waterfront station so I assume they may do the same on the return. plus it is 8.00 something.

The 7-11 at the airport you can get a book of 10 tickets for 31.00 and that means you won't have that 5.00 add on fee.

Take the Canada Line and you will beat the cabs. :D When we got to YVR, immigration was practically empty. I was stressing when we had a 12:50 flight. We had plenty of time.

And I have personally been there more than once, where I was over 2 hours in lines, between Immigration and security. You can NOT count on it being "empty".

I will still always recommend, being conservative at Vancouver airport, so what if you have to wait? It's a whole another story, if you are stuck in line, have the potential to miss a flight and not get out that day. Many people seem to think, they will just get on the next flight. Vancouver flights are limited and cruse days they run full. If there aren't any seats you aren't going to get out.

I made a quick decision a few years ago, after not getting out on standby all day, and ended up busing to Seattle, due to continued full flights the next day.

Who is "they"- someone who works at Vancouver airport? Or likely someone, who is reading off an information sheet, and has no clue what domestic and international is involving Canada.

And I have personally been there more than once, where I was over 2 hours in lines, between Immigration and security. You can NOT count on it being "empty".

I will still always recommend, being conservative at Vancouver airport, so what if you have to wait? It's a whole another story, if you are stuck in line, have the potential to miss a flight and not get out that day. Many people seem to think, they will just get on the next flight. Vancouver flights are limited and cruse days they run full. If there aren't any seats you aren't going to get out.

I made a quick decision a few years ago, after not getting out on standby all day, and ended up busing to Seattle, due to continued full flights the next day.

I'm with you on this one. You are so right about the flights from Vancouver flying full after cruises. Whether the airport is busy or not depends on lots of factors - whether you "beat the bus" - even what time the custom agents start working or take their break.

I would plan on being there 2 hours before the flight. Even if they consider a flight to the US a domestic flight, that doesn't help you get through all the lines to get to your gate on time when things are busy.

We always stay overnight if we have to fly back from our disembarkation city, but especially when disembarking at Vancouver, so we can fly out early the next morning, without having to worry about how long it is going to take to get off of the ship, get transportation, get through traffic and road construction, get through customs, etc. etc. etc. Just don't want that kind of stress at the end of a relaxing voyage. Someone on this board once said never cruise and fly on the same day - and we try to live by that when possible. But sometimes folks don't have that luxury. I know that we didn't on our first couple of cruises.

"They" are incorrect. Unlike a domestic or International (non USA) destination, if you're flying to the USA there's the extra step of pre-clearing USA Immigration & Customs before entering the Transborder Wing (E gates); which adds time. I would suggest..

Domestic: 1h - 1h30

International: 2h

USA: 2h30m

If you want to 'beat the rush', Skytrain is the fastest solution. 3 blocks from Canada Place (turn left exiting Canada Place). $3.75 from downtown to the airport ($2.50 evenings/weekends). Also someone else was incorrect, as there is no surcharge going TO the airport, only from the airport.

Most of the taxis in Vancouver are those small hybrids that don't have much trunk space. We've watched lots of cruisers struggle to get their luggage into/out of those cabs. There are some SUV's but not sure how you could arrange for those specifically, or if it's the luck of the draw in the cab line. The cab line can be very long.

I think you could get a couple of town cars or 1 stretch limo for the same or less than $29/person, they'll be there when you disembark, and would definitely be a classy/comfy way to get to the airport in time. We have a driver we've used a couple of times who could probably arrange something for you.

Who is the driver you used and how do I contact him? What does it cost?

Who is the driver you used and how do I contact him? What does it cost?

His name is Rocket Norton - Rocket Town Car Services. His website has a list of fares for common trips. If you contact him, you can tell him Pam & Bob from L.A. recommended him. ;-) Don't know that will get you any deal on the price... For 2, from the pier to the airport, is more expensive than a cab, but we use the service for the convenience of avoiding the cab line, and the comfort. Don't know how much a SUV or stretch would be if you have more than 3 or 4. His email and phone number are on his web site.

Here's the story - our first time to Vancouver, he was the luck of the draw at the airport into Vancouver. My husband, the ex-cab driver who has to have discussions with every driver we have, asked him what he did before he was a limo driver. His answer was that he was a "drummer in a rock and roll band"!! Isn't that a great answer? I loved it. He also pointed us to Joe Forte's Fish Restaurant where we have had several excellent meals.

Who is "they"- someone who works at Vancouver airport? Or likely someone, who is reading off an information sheet, and has no clue what domestic and international is involving Canada.

"They" are incorrect. Unlike a domestic or International (non USA) destination, if you're flying to the USA there's the extra step of pre-clearing USA Immigration & Customs before entering the Transborder Wing (E gates); which adds time. I would suggest..

Domestic: 1h - 1h30

International: 2h

USA: 2h30m

If you want to 'beat the rush', Skytrain is the fastest solution. 3 blocks from Canada Place (turn left exiting Canada Place). $3.75 from downtown to the airport ($2.50 evenings/weekends). Also someone else was incorrect, as there is no surcharge going TO the airport, only from the airport.

"They" are Princess. Princess has many ships in Alaska and has been doing this for years. I wouldn't say "they are incorrect." We've cruised with them before (and many other lines). I expect no problems. We even booked transfers with them originally with them knowing of these flights (which they thought were just fine), but decided to do a walk off.

We've done Alaska before with no problems. Of course, every trip is different.

Archived