Port off Call Marseille

marcelknipscheer

We cruise in august with the epic.

In marseille i would like to go on an excusrion but from ncl they are very expensive.

Any tips for mMarseille?

Thanks

You might get more information if you post this question and the one about Barcelona on the Ports of Call section. Actually, you might find some information already there. Enjoy your cruise.

Since Marsailles is in FRANCE you'll need to go to:

• Ports of Call
  • Europe
  • France Ports

You will find a direct link here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593

Marsailles is an industrial port and you will need to either take the NCL bus for $15 just to get out of the dock area or a tour who will meet you at the docks. There is a great review for you to read all about your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1656215

Nearly all cruise line excursions in Europe are terribly overpriced as they represent a major profit center for the crusie lines and, in many cases, their franchisers. So you have a few other options. If you have your heart set on being with a tour you can book a private excursion or post on your CC Roll Call (for your specific cruise) and see if somebody on your cruise is arranging for private excursions which you find attractive. The other option is to simply do your own thing (often called DIY here) and just go off on your own. In the case of Marseille it is relatively easy to take a local bus or train up to Aix en Provence or simply just spend your time looking around Marseille.

Hank

Hank, you seem to have great recommendations! We've scheduled a ship's excursion that appears to be nothing more than transportation to Aix en Provence for a ridiculous price. Please, could you explain how to get to the bus for Aix en Provence from the Marseille port. Many thanks!

Since we have never personally used the bus I hope that somebody else can jump in with more detailed info. But the bus station isadjacent to the St Charles Train Station (the main station) and the buses to Aix run about every 10-15 min which is much more often then the train. The last time I looked the bus fare was about 4.10 Euros. I do not know if the intercity bus has a stop closer to the old port (the drop point for shuttles from the port). You can also take a train to Aix en Provence (we have done this) which leaves from the St Charles Train Station. It is a good 1/2+ mile walk from the shuttle drop point to the train station (we have easily walked) so some folks might want to use a taxi or local bus to the train station. The train fare is about 8 Euros although they do sell lower rate tickets for seniors (age 60).

Keep in mind that Marseille is a pretty tourist friendly place. There might be a local representative at your ship or you can also get any detailed info at the information kiosk located near the shuttle drop point at the old port (Vieux Port). Quite a few cruisers will opt to get a taxi directly from the port to the St Charles Train station (best to share with another couple) although it can sometimes be difficult to get a taxi to make that short haul.

Regarding the outrageous prices for cruise line transfers and tours....this is the norm these days which is why many experienced (and new) travelers have learned to take advantage of inexpensive and excellent public transit. One caveat is that we have noticed a recent trend towards increasing train fares in Europe although buses are still a bargain in most places.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a cruise on the Epic. The cruise was seven days out of an 18-day trip. After all the planning and logistics for this trip, I was sufferring from "planning burn-out" by the time it came to planning for Marseille - especially when I saw how difficult it was to get out of the port. Although I wouldn't normally use a cruise-sponsored excursion, I was beaten-down enough by this point to book a NCL excursion to Le Baux. In all honesty, it was a pretty good trip and the price wasn't too bad. The family really enjoyed it - we didn't feel rushed, the tour guide was informative, and it was nice to have someone else deal with the transportation and logistics issues.

Reign53,

Thank you so much for posting this... Could you kindly let me know which

tour you took? I was interested in the medieval weaponry I read about...

Did you get to see any of that? Any suggestions?

I really appreciate anything you can tell me about your tour....

(I am about to give up planning one on my own from Marseille)

Thank you,

STephanie

We took the Shuttle into town for 12 Euro's. Then from there took the "60 Bus" up to the top of the mountain to the Notre Dame Cathedral. Its an old European Church that you will see loads of, but its worth going to because of the amazing view. There is also a little train (on wheels, not a real train) that will take you up there for about 7 Euros. The train is pretty frequent, so is the bus for that matter.

We came back down the mountain, there was an NCL walking tour going on, and we acted like we were part of it and learned some history about the city. Didn't see any midevil weapons. We did go to the site of the executions and where the courthouse was.

Went to a place to eat Gelato and steal some Wi-fi. For the most part, not the friendliest town, not the most beautiful town, but there is a million dollar view at the Church.

We took the NCL Epic-sponsored excursion to LES BAUX DE PROVENCE. The cost was $69/person. The entire trip lasts a little over 4 hours; this was perfect for us because prior to Marseille, our port days were pretty full and we wanted at least one semi laid-back day with time spent on the ship. The trip from port to Les Baux took about an hour each way. The tour guide gave a running commentary over the bus PA system during the entire ride about what we were passing along the way. Once at Les Baux, we were told when & where to meet for departure. At that point you could either follow the tour guide to various sites, or explore on your own. We chose to tag along with the guide for a while - he was pretty knowledgeable and interesting to listen to. I had planned to check out the medieval weaponry, but the wife and I got side-tracked by all the little shops. We did get some cool souvenirs! Realistically, you could either shop or trek to the weaponry - both not both due to the limited time.

Archived