blu restaurant - summitt

msk0319

Has anyone ordered from the MDR menu while in Blu? Can you order

items not on the menu in BLU?

First time in Auqua class ( we are elite ) , so we were automatically put into Blu for dining. Normally we take main seating in MDR, and prefer MDR food over the " healthy choice " options in BLU. We also do not want to do select dining as we prefer same wait staff every day due to a dietary

issue. Thank you.

Has anyone ordered from the MDR menu while in Blu? Can you order

items not on the menu in BLU?

First time in Auqua class ( we are elite ) , so we were automatically put into Blu for dining. Normally we take main seating in MDR, and prefer MDR food over the " healthy choice " options in BLU. We also do not want to do select dining as we prefer same wait staff every day due to a dietary

issue. Thank you.

My husband did not particularly enjoy the food in Blu. He simply asked the waiter in Blu for whichever item he wanted from the MDR and they served him those items. You're going to find that the wait staff in Blu are wonderful and very willing to please you no matter how demanding you are. (My husband is a very picky eater lol)

When Blu was fairly new it appears that there was no problem getting items off of the MDR menu. Reports back on this board lately seem to indicate that this is becoming more difficult to do. It appears that the decision is based upon the ship you are on. Some will report they recently cruised and had no problem but others are reporting they are not doing it any more. From what I have seen, they may do it more readily on the M class ships because the kitchens are right next to each other while on S class they are not but that is not written in stone.

I don't know if you have ever been in Blu but I did not find the foods to be particularly heathly in nature. Also, there are three every night items.

You should not have a problem getting same wait staff every day...

If you are cruising on Summit in the next few months you will be looked after by Nicholus the Maitre D who is one of the most attentive MDs I have ever sailed with. Because of the position of the Blu galley and MDR galley on Summit, there was absolutely no issue for those who wanted to order off the MDR menu and I saw several guests doing that

As Don says, it is an issue on an S class ship though so this post should only be seen as the situation for the M class ships that have had Blu added

We were recently on Summit as Aqua guests who opted for Select dining for our cruise ( wanted the option to dine in MDR with my son and his gf who were not in Aqua) but only went o MDR Select dinging area once..what a horror show both service and food wise.:eek: ..never again...we stuck with Blu and loved it..on the second formal night ordered the Lobster tail but did not care for the way it was prepared..requested and got TWO of the traditionally prepared lobster tails from MDR...the best of both worlds..IMHO..

When Blu was fairly new it appears that there was no problem getting items off of the MDR menu. Reports back on this board lately seem to indicate that this is becoming more difficult to do. It appears that the decision is based upon the ship you are on. Some will report they recently cruised and had no problem but others are reporting they are not doing it any more. From what I have seen, they may do it more readily on the M class ships because the kitchens are right next to each other while on S class they are not but that is not written in stone.

I don't know if you have ever been in Blu but I did not find the foods to be particularly heathly in nature. Also, there are three every night items.

You should not have a problem getting same wait staff every day...

Celebrity, according to their advertising of Blu, says it's lighter fare, not healthier. To me, it looks like they cut down on the carbs and serve more veggies.

Be that as it may, having seen some of the menus, I suspect my wife and I will be hitting the MDR more often than Blu for dinner. We'll probably just go there for breakfast.

Celebrity, according to their advertising of Blu, says it's lighter fare, not healthier. To me, it looks like they cut down on the carbs and serve more veggies.

Be that as it may, having seen some of the menus, I suspect my wife and I will be hitting the MDR more often than Blu for dinner. We'll probably just go there for breakfast.

They do have three everyday items, a steak, fish dish and a chicken dish. The good thing about Blu is if you don't like a sauce or something that is on the menu, they cook more to the individual than in the MDR.

The food in Blu is generally much better than it sounds from the menu descriptions - don't let that put you off. We love Blu not only for the food but the attentive service, elegant ambiance and excellent drink service. Oh, did I mention the bread basket!!

The food in Blu is generally much better than it sounds from the menu descriptions - don't let that put you off. We love Blu not only for the food but the attentive service, elegant ambiance and excellent drink service. Oh, did I mention the bread basket!!

But when the majority menu consists of seafood as well as loads of mushrooms, it doesn't help those who dislike seafood and are allergic to mushrooms. (i.e. Me.)

we were just on the summit 2 weeks ago- AQ cabins- dined in Blu. Sad to say, our group of 10 was disappointed.. We had told them that we didn't have to sit together, and some nights we had 2 tables of 5- couple nights they did put us together. We just didn't have the best experience- slow service, meals coming out at all different times, had to keep asking for water refills - Food was so-so-... hoping it was just a learning curve on this ship-,

but to answer original question, we had no problem ordering off the mdr menu, they even brought us the menu if we asked for it -so, yes, that part was very easy..

But when the majority menu consists of seafood as well as loads of mushrooms, it doesn't help those who dislike seafood and are allergic to mushrooms. (i.e. Me.)

The big difference with the food between the MDR and Blu is lighter sauces and somewhat smaller potions. That's not to say you leave hungry, just not stuffed to the gills.

My husband is a meat & potatoes guy (who hates lamb) and absolutely loves Blu. Yes there's a lot of fish on the menu but pork or beef are usually available. The night lamb was the meat of choice, he usually ordered strip steak from the always available menu.

He also loves the french onion soup in the MDR and ordered that several nights on our Silhouette cruise. One night he ordered veal cordon bleu from the MDR and found it too heavily sauced after having gotten used to the more delicate flavors in Blu.

If you are cruising on Summit in the next few months you will be looked after by Nicholus the Maitre D who is one of the most attentive MDs I have ever sailed with. Because of the position of the Blu galley and MDR galley on Summit, there was absolutely no issue for those who wanted to order off the MDR menu and I saw several guests doing that

As Don says, it is an issue on an S class ship though so this post should only be seen as the situation for the M class ships that have had Blu added

I totally agree!! Nicholus was wonderful! Same with his staff.

Monica

Nicholas should still there in Sept. He said he has been working 12 years with Celebrity. He constantly made sure we were taken care of. We were Suite guests but decided to eat in Blu as the service for our table for 2 was exceptionally attentive. We found the MDR to be loud, had slow service and had difficulty getting a table for 2. We occasionally ordered some items from the MDR in Blu without difficulty. The only problem was ordering cappachinos after dinner. That would take forever for some reason.

Nicholas should still there in Sept. He said he has been working 12 years with Celebrity. He constantly made sure we were taken care of. We were Suite guests but decided to eat in Blu as the service for our table for 2 was exceptionally attentive. We found the MDR to be loud, had slow service and had difficulty getting a table for 2. We occasionally ordered some items from the MDR in Blu without difficulty. The only problem was ordering cappachinos after dinner. That would take forever for some reason.

Thanks for the reply. We will just get our cappucinos (or our Aspen coffees) from Cafe al Bacio then.

we were just on the summit 2 weeks ago- AQ cabins- dined in Blu. Sad to say, our group of 10 was disappointed.. We had told them that we didn't have to sit together, and some nights we had 2 tables of 5- couple nights they did put us together. We just didn't have the best experience- slow service, meals coming out at all different times, had to keep asking for water refills - Food was so-so-... hoping it was just a learning curve on this ship-,

but to answer original question, we had no problem ordering off the mdr menu, they even brought us the menu if we asked for it -so, yes, that part was very easy..

I will be traveling with a large group of 18. We are celebrating my Mom's 80th Birthday. Majority of us are in AQ and assigned to Blu with one exception. That group is assigned to a suite has select dining. The suite group will be joining us in Blu on the two formal nights to help celebrate Mom's 80th. We are planning to have photos taken before dinner on the two formal nights, since we will be all dressed up. My mother prefers to eat early, which is not the case with the majority of the group. The remainder of the week I thought it would be best to be flexible and allow the group to decide what is best for each individual for themselves. We are well aware that Blu does not require formal dress, but we are doing it for Mom, plus the rest of the ship will be all dressed up.

From your own experience, what would you suggest for such a large group? What would you have done differently to make the experience smoother or better? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I read somewhere, from another poster that the specialty coffees need to be picked up by the wait staff at the cafe and that it takes longer to be delivered to the table.

I will be traveling with a large group of 18. We are celebrating my Mom's 80th Birthday. Majority of us are in AQ and assigned to Blu with one exception. That group is assigned to a suite has select dining. The suite group will be joining us in Blu on the two formal nights to help celebrate Mom's 80th. We are planning to have photos taken before dinner on the two formal nights, since we will be all dressed up. My mother prefers to eat early, which is not the case with the majority of the group. The remainder of the week I thought it would be best to be flexible and allow the group to decide what is best for each individual for themselves. We are well aware that Blu does not require formal dress, but we are doing it for Mom, plus the rest of the ship will be all dressed up.

From your own experience, what would you suggest for such a large group? What would you have done differently to make the experience smoother or better? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Definitely discuss your plans ahead of time with the Matre'd, they are very cooperative and will probably make some suggestions. Did you plan on the ship's photographers taking the pictures or someone within the group.

I would strongly suggest you do as I did when I became totally frustrated with Celebrity Web and phone reservations team trying to arrange special occasion dining reservations on our recent Summit cruise.

Call our friends at Celebrity Experience Coordination desk...

800 590 6221 ( I believe they are available to serve you up to 45 days prior to your cruise) IMHO they are the only Celebrity Customer Service folks that both satisfy and delight all the PRE boarding issues of Celebrity guests (Consierge, Aqua and Suite guests only)!

Definitely discuss your plans ahead of time with the Matre'd, they are very cooperative and will probably make some suggestions. Did you plan on the ship's photographers taking the pictures or someone within the group.

Speaking to the Maitre D is definitely on my agenda for the first day once I board. Actually I will be speaking to several (MDR, Blu & Buffet) since we have several individuals that have food allergies, plus three infants will be traveling with us and I will need to discuss vegetables offered each day that can be pureed for them. I believe it is better to have a contact person for the families traveling with me. I am the person that has organized our trip from the start and want to make sure all their needs are met.

To answer your other ? I have a Nikon d3100 that takes nice photos, but if the ship's photographer is available we'll have one taken by them as well. I would like to have the photo taken on the main staircase midship. I think it will be a nice location.

I would strongly suggest you do as I did when I became totally frustrated with Celebrity Web and phone reservations team trying to arrange special occasion dining reservations on our recent Summit cruise.

Call our friends at Celebrity Experience Coordination desk...

800 590 6221 ( I believe they are available to serve you up to 45 days prior to your cruise) IMHO they are the only Celebrity Customer Service folks that both satisfy and delight all the PRE boarding issues of Celebrity guests (Consierge, Aqua and Suite guests only)!

dkjretired & avid,

Thank you both! :)

B

Any other ideas? Keep them coming.

Archived