Cruisetour vs. Going on your own.

Mancuso

We've just booked Celebrity Summit-Seward to Vancouver 6/24/06

What does anyone feel about a cruisetour vs. doing it on your own? We want to see Denali and McKinley most of all and can't decide which option to take.

Does a cruisetour include all food?

Does the 7 hour winderness tour make a lot of stops? (I hope it does.)

Would you recommend Fairbanks and then travelling down to Seward?

Thanks,

I know that the land tours do not include food unless it is listed as part of an activity like gold panning and salmon bake.

You are smart to be planning early, we tried to get into cruise tour #1 six months before the cruise and it was sold out!

Hi Mancuso....we struggled with this question for so long. We originally booked the cruisetour through Princess. After some financial woes, we decided to change it to an independent tour. From this board, I gathered enough self-confidence to try it. In a matter of 1 week, I made an itinerary and reservations. We are definitely going to get more bang for the buck doing it this way. I am more excited now than I was with just the cruisetour. We leave the end of August. You will hear varied opinions on this subject. It depends alot on what you want out of your vacation. The convenience of being taken from point to point or the freedom to do what you want. Good luck with your plans. 2006 will be here before you know it.

We've just booked Celebrity Summit-Seward to Vancouver 6/24/06

What does anyone feel about a cruisetour vs. doing it on your own? We want to see Denali and McKinley most of all and can't decide which option to take.

Does a cruisetour include all food?

Does the 7 hour winderness tour make a lot of stops? (I hope it does.)

Would you recommend Fairbanks and then travelling down to Seward?

Thanks,

Hi-

I am no expert, but we took cruise tour (it was our first trip to Alaska) and did the basic itinerary you asked about (Fairbanks to Seward--we went to Whittier). We had a very enjoyable time--we went to Denali, took the Wilderness Tour (and no, it does not stop a lot (I assume you mean stop to get out)---but the driver slows down and stops the bus frequently for people to look around and get pictures. Our cruise tour did not include food--so budget for that. There are a number of folks here who will tell you that is much less expensive, and you get to see more if you go independently. I can't really disagree with that--with the tour you are shuttled from one place to another on a set schedule--not a lot of freedom to start/stop when you want. Also, we were on a 4 night tour and, we spent a lot of time in transit (getting from Fairbanks to Denali) and did not have as much time to enjoy each of the stops. If you can. regardless of wheter you go yourself or go on a tour, I would suggest budgeting as much time as you can for the land portion. Having said all of this, I think the cruise tour was a good way to see Alaska for the first time--good overview, was easy to plan (basically one phone call to the travel agent), and the prices were "fair"--it was no bargain, but I thought a reasonable value. If I were to go back, I would go independently, but I have no regrets with the tour we purchased from Princess.

Is it possible, or practical to travel from Fairbanks to Seward using the train the whole way. We plan on spending at least 2 nights in Denali, one in Talkeetna and one in Anchorage.

I think I would like to drive some of it, but don't know if there is somewhere we can leave a one-way rental car and then get on the train.

Thanks.

Is it possible, or practical to travel from Fairbanks to Seward using the train the whole way. We plan on spending at least 2 nights in Denali, one in Talkeetna and one in Anchorage.

I think I would like to drive some of it, but don't know if there is somewhere we can leave a one-way rental car and then get on the train.

Thanks.

Not sure--we took a train from Fairbanks to the Denali Lodge (Princess), and then a train to Talkeetna, and then a bus to Whittier. I believe there is a train from Talkeetna to Whittier and/or Seward, but am not certain. Regarding a rental car--not sure--my guess is that someone here can tell you though.

You can take the train all the way, getting on and off at any of several spots. Fairbanks-Anchorage is probably the only one-way rental you'll get without a massive drop charge.

Murray

If you want to see McKinley- you will need to budget a few days in the area and hope for the best. Rarely visable, best option is to consider flightseeing out of Talkeetna. In Denali Park, farther in is better and non of the cruise tours go far enough in my opinion. My min. distance in is Fish Creek, bus stops about every 1 1/2 hours. No food included with cruise tours, budget 50% more than you do at home. An independent tour allows you far more freedom and the best ability to see what is of interest to YOU. Group point to point travel in Alaska misses plenty, my opinion only. With a toursaver you can yeild significant savings on touring. I ran up about a $800 savings last year and have used the books for many years. Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books and see what direct you want to go in.

EVERY trip requires research, don't sit back and just purchase an "unknown" cruisetour. Plenty is NOT disclosed, so be fully aware of what you are purchasing. This board is an excellent reference and many people who have purchased cruisetours, most likely found out plenty they didn't initially know when they purchased.

EVERY trip requires research, don't sit back and just purchase an "unknown" cruisetour. Plenty is NOT disclosed, so be fully aware of what you are purchasing. This board is an excellent reference and many people who have purchased cruisetours, most likely found out plenty they didn't initially know when they purchased.

I don't mean to be glib here, but "duh"--you shouldn't buy an "unkown" anything. I also have to say that I found the cruise companies (Princess atlesast) to disclose "Plenty" about their tour products. Yes, this and other boards can certainly supplement the information provided by Princess, but if you read their brochures, ask questions of their reps (or your TA) you can get a very complete perspective on the experience. I don't think these cruiselines have an interest in being deceptive or hiding things from their clients.

I don't mean to be glib here, but "duh"--you shouldn't buy an "unkown" anything. I also have to say that I found the cruise companies (Princess atlesast) to disclose "Plenty" about their tour products. Yes, this and other boards can certainly supplement the information provided by Princess, but if you read their brochures, ask questions of their reps (or your TA) you can get a very complete perspective on the experience. I don't think these cruiselines have an interest in being deceptive or hiding things from their clients.

The cruise lines do a very good job of disclosing their itineraries, you are right, and are also very helpful at clarifying things just as most of the local operators, hotel folks etc in Alaska are ANd there are just as many people on the boards who have enjoyed tours as have enjoyed the planning and work that goes into doing their own "itinerary".. there is no right or wrong... the message boards are an exchange of opinion and a source of information and peopel have to remember that most of the posts they are reading are from fellow travelers much like themselves = why there are different options, becuase all of us don't want to do the same thing:)

I disagree. I get emails every day. AND plenty of people have no clue what the Denali Park tour differences are- significant part of the cruisetour for some people. - not discussed in the brochures nor do a lot of TA's know.

Have no idea the time involved in transit- plenty are blown away when they find out 8 hours on the train Denali Park/Anchorage and that day offers little time for touring. No clue where Princess McKinley lodge is- some thinking this is an extra day to tour the park?? No time for touring Fairbanks or realizing the need for a car and an extra day if they want to, same with Anchorage. :)

I don't want any flames, it's just that some posts claim the cruisetours- have "everything" done for you "sit back and go" etc etc etc. I still strongly encourage people to research fully no matter how you go. Your experience will be better with the added invested time.

if you read their brochures, ask questions of their reps (or your TA) you can get a very complete perspective on the experience. I don't think these cruiselines have an interest in being deceptive or hiding things from their clients.

BQ was saying do research. Calling your TA and asking questions of their reps is research. The brochures and websites don't have all the answers. My in-laws are doing a cruisetour with HAL and no where in there literature did it mention what hotel they were staying at, arrival and departure times, what they do for food on their bus trip from Seward to Denali. There is a lot of information missing that easily could be included.

We debated as well and decided to go alone and tackle an RV since we do not like crowds, especially in intimate spaces; and I definitely did not want to pack with each move on someone else's timetable to place bags outside the room!

I just posted a "full report from a first-timer" that details our RV adventures that may be of help.

Archived