book directly or use TA?

selma

OK, could definately use some help from experienced HAL-cruisers. While I'm not new to cruising, I am new to HAL. I've got my eye out on the holiday cruise 2013 on the Rotterdam and am hoping to book it soon (need to wait on some stuff).

I'm wondering however if booking through a TA might be a better deal than booking directly with HAL? Directly HAL is quiting me €3600andsome for one adult in a K stateroom. I've used US travelagents before and have also booked directly before, but obviously not with HAL. I don't have a HUGE like for one above the other, so both are open. When I book HAL through a TA, does the combination of cruiseprice and offered obc worth it or doesn't it make that much of a difference in the end? If so any more do's and dont's on the subject of TA+HAL?

Honestly, go where you feel most confident.

We've done both in past, w/o problems for the most part, and we had a great time.

For our cruise in the fall it was right with a PCC. We were told a few weeks before it was listed that the cruise would happen and we booked it then. The little bit of perks that we've seen since the cruise was listed hasn't been enough to lure us to a TA (brick/mortar or online).

I hope you have a great cruise!

Derek

We find that we save anywhere from 8-12 percent by using an internet TA instead of booking directly.

I guess the tradeoff will be savings vs your comfort level in using an internet TA. You could always get a quote from a TA, minus any additional OBC's that the TA is providing, and then compare it the price that you have been quoted by the cruise line. At the very least, the OBC's that our TA provides usually at least covers our automated gratuity charges.

We find that we save anywhere from 8-12 percent by using an internet TA instead of booking directly.

I have been happy with similar savings from online travel agents. Are you from outside the USA? If so, I can not offer informed advice.

Has anyone found an advantage to using a TA when it comes to the air arrangements? In the past I've booked my own flights or didn't need air, but HAL's pricing for a fall cruise is much better than I can find on my own.

Knowing cruise lines can give you terrible seat selection and scheduling, can a TA mitigate this?

I can't speak for HAL air, but I can for Celebrity and I would think that they are all similar. In May, we did a transatlantic on Celebrity. I was able to do much better, booking my own air between Phoenix and Ft. Lauderdale. The air coming home, from Barcelona to Phoenix was a much different story. Using Choice Air (Celebrity) I was able to get a price about 1/3 the cost of what I could find on my own. I was given a choice of 4 or 5 flights and could choose the one that best fit my needs as far as cost, travel time, etc. I chose British Air. When I got my conformation number, I went right to British Air's website and chose the seats I wanted. About 4 days before the flight departed Barcelona, I was given the opportunity to upgrade to exit row seats for an extra $75 p.p. This was a godsend for someone who is six feet four inches tall.

I have been happy with similar savings from online travel agents. Are you from outside the USA? If so, I can not offer informed advice.

Indeed, am Dutch. However, have always used a US TA (internet based obviously), when using a TA. Ours are...... how shall I say this as nice as possible...... very unknowledgable (I tend to do my own homework but nothing is more annoying than having to keep correcting a ta on the most basic things), way too expensive and way too limiting when it comes to terms and conditions. Not an option but when having used a US based ta have always been very happy with the result knowing what I can and can't expect.

Hmm, 8-12% sounds like it's more than worth it to me. Any tips on good ta's (if that is allowed, don't want to break any rules!). Those I've used before are pretty much fully DCL-focused, not sure if that's the way to go for this one, allthough I will be getting quotes.

You will most likely get a better price with a TA as they are reducing their commission to give you a better price. Most of the time I book direct with the cruise line as I like dealing direct. On some cruises, I use a TA but have not gotten a better price from a TA all the time because I suspect they are a low volume agency with HAL.

I booked our next cruise with my TA as he gave me HAL's OBC and also he gives me an extra OBC. If I got nothing extra.. I would book directly with HAL. I always check with the cruise line first, get their price, then call my TA and ask him if he can give me something extra.

Very interesting thread. I'm from Scotland and going on my second HAL cruise this year. On both occasions, I could not find a British TA, either on line or in a High Street store, who could beat HAL's on line price. The best they could do was match it.

It maybe that I've overlooked a British TA who do HAL deals or that HAL, unlike P&O, Fred Olsen or Cunard, is not a very popular cruise line for British passengers and hence deals are hard to come by.

Has anyone found an advantage to using a TA when it comes to the air arrangements? In the past I've booked my own flights or didn't need air, but HAL's pricing for a fall cruise is much better than I can find on my own.

Knowing cruise lines can give you terrible seat selection and scheduling, can a TA mitigate this?

i wouldn't expect a TA to spend a lot of time on air arrangements for you. they no longer receive commission on air.

as for the cruise portion - i shop around. seems like most times i get a better price from the TA, but not always.

......I'm wondering however if booking through a TA might be a better deal than booking directly with HAL? Directly HAL is quiting me €3600andsome for one adult in a K stateroom. I've used US travelagents before and have also booked directly before, but obviously not with HAL. I don't have a HUGE like for one above the other, so both are open. When I book HAL through a TA, does the combination of cruiseprice and offered obc worth it or doesn't it make that much of a difference in the end? If so any more do's and dont's on the subject of TA+HAL?
I don't know how it works in other countries, but in the USA you can often get the best deal by using a combination of both.

We watch prices and will often book directly with the cruise line when they offer a special that is a good deal. Then we can take our time to shop around, compare offers from the various travel agencies, and decide if we want to transfer the booking to one of them if we see an offer that is too good to pass up.

We are on the mailing lists of numerous TAs, so we are bombarded by offers from them every week.

There is even a site where you can list the cruise you intend to take and have different TAs compete for your business, but I don't think we are allowed to give the link here.

As to whether it is better to keep your booking with the cruise line or transfer it to a TA, there are pros and cons both ways that have been discussed on these boards numerous times.

If you encounter any problems, having a TA may be a help or it may be a hindrance.

You will most likely get a better price with a TA as they are reducing their commission to give you a better price. Most of the time I book direct with the cruise line as I like dealing direct. On some cruises, I use a TA but have not gotten a better price from a TA all the time because I suspect they are a low volume agency with HAL.
Good point!

At different times, for different cruises, people find they can do better with one travel agency than another.

That is why people shop around, just as they do when buying a car or airline tickets or household appliances or booking a hotel or rental car, or anything else.

The TA that somebody used last time may not be the best one to use the next time.

For our past three cruises and three upcoming cruises, I've used the same TA at an online agency. A few years ago, I was quoted a "barebones" price by the agent, as the HAL PCC couldn't match the price and told me to book with the agent. I always get 12-14% off the prices on the HAL website.

All the payments are processed by HAL through the agency. Last year, my TA called and said she processed a $400 reduction in fares for one of our upcoming cruises. I had forgot to check that week.

Very interesting thread. I'm from Scotland and going on my second HAL cruise this year. On both occasions, I could not find a British TA, either on line or in a High Street store, who could beat HAL's on line price. The best they could do was match it.

It maybe that I've overlooked a British TA who do HAL deals or that HAL, unlike P&O, Fred Olsen or Cunard, is not a very popular cruise line for British passengers and hence deals are hard to come by.

Have you ever tried to use an Internet USA based TA ?

We always get better deals in the USA by going through Internet Agents..I discovered this in 2006 when we booked to the Amazon..Just for the fun of it I checked TA's who advertised on Cruise Critic & we were able to get over $1000 off our cabin & also got a cabin on Main deck instead of Dolphin deck..When I spoke to a HAL Supvr..He said "we cannot meet the prices of TA's who have group space blocked with HAL"..He then suggested we transfer our booking to the TA which we did..

My suggestion to the OP & others is..First price check the fare on the HAL Web site..Then contact a few Internet Agents & request a price quote.. Be sure to read the rules very carefully about change & cancellation fees..Also be sure that HAL will process all your payments..

Cheers...:)Betty

Archived