FOS 6/10-6/17 A Few Comments

Just a few quick comments.

We were a little leery of sailing on such a large ship with so many passengers (and kids) but people were so spread out it wasn't a problem. And the children's pool area was so much fun it kept the kids out of the adult pool area.

We had a D2 balcony room and we were very impressed by the size of the room, the balcony and all the storage.

The food in the MDR was very good, sometimes excellent.

If you like to plan every little detail, be aware that the shows might switch days. And the Saturday Ice Show we made reservations for was cancelled entirely and our reservations were switched to an evening show earlier in the week.

About show reservations: Other than for the Ice Show they didn't bother checking if you had reservations or not - you just showed up. And guess what, it worked great. Plenty of seats and no lines. So maybe they're going to do away with reservations on FOS.

I had the soft drink package and they almost never bothered swiping my card. I just showed it to the bartender and got my drink.

A quick story: When we got to our room there was a "Just Married" sign on the door, and the inside was all decorated too. Quite a surprise since we've been married 40 years! Turns out they had decorated the wrong room, but they let us keep the decorations anyway so we left them up all week. A final surprise was the pair of ladies' underpants (clean) I found on the top closet shelf, way in the back. When my grand-daughter heard the story she said "Wow - complimentary underwear!"

Too funny about the underwear. I am on the FOS in February also in a D2 and was wondering about the ship feeling crowded with so many people. I am glad to read you opinion.

Did you have MTD? My only options were MTD or late seating so I chose MTD. I was curious about the wait time for tables.

It sounds like you had a nice time! I'm looking forward to sailing on her again in a few months myself.

I had the soft drink package and they almost never bothered swiping my card. I just showed it to the bartender and got my drink.

They don't swipe your SeaPass for sodas included in the soda package. All they need to do is see that you have the printed Coca-Cola logo or sticker on the card.

We didn't do MTD, had the early seating - 5:30 (wish they had left it at 6:00).

The reason I mentioned that they didn't swipe my card for drinks is its the only way they have to see if you are maybe breaking the rules (no sharing). A high count would be suspicious. We played by the rules but it would have been easy to get other people cokes, if you weren't obvious about it.

hate to say that swiping wouldn't show that we share the card. I have 1-2 during the day and he'll have a few in the evenings. neither of us drink a lot, but we're BAD people! on average we probably have 5-6 soda a day between us, I think that's less than a lot of single people.

We didn't do MTD, had the early seating - 5:30 (wish they had left it at 6:00).

The reason I mentioned that they didn't swipe my card for drinks is its the only way they have to see if you are maybe breaking the rules (no sharing). A high count would be suspicious. We played by the rules but it would have been easy to get other people cokes, if you weren't obvious about it.

Ok, so since you are pretty freshly back, I have a couple of questions regarding food since I finally just got my husband to discuss the dining and he nearly flipped when I talked about taking khakis and dress shoes for the bare minimum of formal dress. Therefore, it looks like Windjammer for evening meals for us. I was thinking that the WJ served the same thing as the main dining room, is that correct?

Also, in the Jade, they change cuisines-do they have a Vietnam night and do they serve pho? Also, is there bubble tea? Is there bubble tea in St Thomas maybe? I am used to vacationing in California and just like it every once in awhile. I can get it in Kansas City, but it is a vacation drink for me.

Umm, another food question and I'll quit-is there deep dish pizza at Sorrento's? They closed the closest Pizzaria Uno and I really miss that. Thanks so much for any help!

We ate in the main dining room every night but other people have said that the Windjammer serves most of the same items as the MDR. I'm assuming your husband only wants to wear shorts, so here's a little tip. The first night on board, some people don't have their luggage yet at dinner time (mine didn't show up til 8:30) so anything goes that first night. That would be your chance to get at least one dinner in the lovely MDR. On other nights it would be "breaking the rules" but they would let him in. (maybe not on the formal nights). It depends how comfortable you are being dressed more casual than the majority. But no swimsuits!

Have no idea about the food in Jade, I am not very adventurous when I eat. And I've never heard of bubble tea, sorry I'm not much help about that.

I didn't see any deep-dish at Sorrentos, only ate there once but it was better than I expected. Not great but pretty good.

We ate in the main dining room every night but other people have said that the Windjammer serves most of the same items as the MDR. I'm assuming your husband only wants to wear shorts, so here's a little tip. The first night on board, some people don't have their luggage yet at dinner time (mine didn't show up til 8:30) so anything goes that first night. That would be your chance to get at least one dinner in the lovely MDR. On other nights it would be "breaking the rules" but they would let him in. (maybe not on the formal nights). It depends how comfortable you are being dressed more casual than the majority. But no swimsuits!

Have no idea about the food in Jade, I am not very adventurous when I eat. And I've never heard of bubble tea, sorry I'm not much help about that.

I didn't see any deep-dish at Sorrentos, only ate there once but it was better than I expected. Not great but pretty good.

Thanks for taking a stab at it.

He really wants to go casual. It has been a long hard year and as we discussed it tonight, I was so surprised at the vehemence of his response to the thought of dragging dress shoes and nice pants to the hot Caribbean. So it will be non main dining room for us. No big loss, I hate to dress up. It reminds me of working in an office and my sister's funeral, 2 things I really hate, I threw all those clothes in a Salvation Army bin.

Archived