If you had a choice...

leaski

would you rather sail from Miami or Tampa? We are looking at two different ship for the same itinerary, the Glory from Miami, which we have sailed before and love, and the Legend out of Tampa. Both leave on the same day, go to the same stops, and are very similar in price for what we are looking for. We think at this point the deciding factor will be the port. We will be flying in the day before either way so hotels and transportation to the port are also a factor. Has anyone experienced both these ports recently that can educate us on what's available and how well these ports handle embarkation. We are not VIP however do like to arrive early. We have been to these ports for our 1st and 2nd cruises but flew in the day of and I really don't remember much from that long ago. :o

Thanks for any insight you can share!!

would you rather sail from Miami or Tampa? We are looking at two different ship for the same itinerary, the Glory from Miami, which we have sailed before and love, and the Legend out of Tampa. Both leave on the same day, go to the same stops, and are very similar in price for what we are looking for. We think at this point the deciding factor will be the port. We will be flying in the day before either way so hotels and transportation to the port are also a factor. Has anyone experienced both these ports recently that can educate us on what's available and how well these ports handle embarkation. We are not VIP however do like to arrive early. We have been to these ports for our 1st and 2nd cruises but flew in the day of and I really don't remember much from that long ago. :o

Thanks for any insight you can share!!

Things seem to run a little smoother @ Tampa port but that could change with any sailing. Since you've been on The Glory twice perhaps you'd want to try The Legend. Had a friend who recently went on The Legend and found the vessel to be "a little shabby." but the ship always seems to get good reviews. Having been on both, I'd pick The Glory but getting into and out of the Tampa port is fairly easy compared to Miami. Enjoy which ever ship/port you decide upon.

Tampa is a breeze and lovely to sail from, but I love Miami!! Sailing out of there has been good for us each time. They pretty much have it down to a science, even when there are numerous ships in!!!!

Either one is good :)

I have been on the Glory 3 times.. love that ship.. Never been on the Legend but have been on the sister ships Pride and Miracle. These are Spirit class and are my favorite class.

Now, choosing between Tampa and Miami... both seem to have worked very smoothly for me..

The one thing that I look at if I am choosing which port to sail from is the time of year.

If it is during hurricane season, I avoid Tampa and New Orleans... because if a storm comes into the gulf you could be trapped outside of it, or cancelled because it is coming.

If you choose Miami, you have three different ports that you could leave from in case of a hurricane. And a better chance with a revised itinerary.. east to west or west to east...

We were once cruising from Port Canaveral. A hurricane had hit the port... the sand that was brought ashore into the port made it impossible for a ship to dock for embarkation. So they began dredging.. they actually had us and all arriving passengers scheduled to be bussed from Port Canaveral (that is where our flight came in ) to Miami. It would be a three hour bus ride. By the time of our cruise ( within a week of hearing of this schedule) they had the dredging complete and we were able to leave from Port Canaveral. I just like the convenience of having three different ports in Florida to depart from or arrive back to during hurricane season.

I have been on the Glory 3 times.. love that ship.. Never been on the Legend but have been on the sister ships Pride and Miracle. These are Spirit class and are my favorite class.

Now, choosing between Tampa and Miami... both seem to have worked very smoothly for me..

The one thing that I look at if I am choosing which port to sail from is the time of year.

If it is during hurricane season, I avoid Tampa and New Orleans... because if a storm comes into the gulf you could be trapped outside of it, or cancelled because it is coming.

If you choose Miami, you have three different ports that you could leave from in case of a hurricane. And a better chance with a revised itinerary.. east to west or west to east...

We were once cruising from Port Canaveral. A hurricane had hit the port... the sand that was brought ashore into the port made it impossible for a ship to dock for embarkation. So they began dredging.. they actually had us and all arriving passengers scheduled to be bussed from Port Canaveral (that is where our flight came in ) to Miami. It would be a three hour bus ride. By the time of our cruise ( within a week of hearing of this schedule) they had the dredging complete and we were able to leave from Port Canaveral. I just like the convenience of having three different ports in Florida to depart from or arrive back to during hurricane season.

That is excellent advice.

I've sailed both ships and both ports and enjoyed all of them. If the port is really your deciding factor, I'd have to say Tampa. Hotels are cheaper in Tampa, and Miami doesn't have the awesome bridge to sail under.

If you had a choice . . . would you rather sail from Miami or Tampa?

Tampa is much more convenient for me regarding short driving distance, and has a relatively easy parking arrangement with easily accessible streets involved. With only one exception (poorly managed embarkation and an earthquake delay), all of my sailings from Tampa have been challenge-free. :)

But Miami offers some definite benefits that have certainly grown on me recently. Choice of East or West Caribbean itineraries, and selection of multiple ships rather than just one. Multiple size ships are no challenge to this homeport since there are no bridges to navigate under.

My personal choice (currently) is Miami. :)

Thank you all so much for the info!! We are actually looking at sailing in April, so no worries, I hope, on hurricanes. Good to know for future cruises though!! I have been on the Glory twice, DH has been once. I was kind of looking for a new experience, but would not turn down another trip on her again. Both times we had an interior, and we would be able to swing an extended balcony this time, so that's very inviting. We have been on the Pride before so I am familiar with the layout and have no problems there either. I guess that's why we have narrowed it to the ease of getting to and on the ship. Unfortunately I am one of those people that sweats the details when we take any trip, so I tend to prefer the path of least resistance.:o DH says he's good either way, so I guess this is all on me. :eek: Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

we have done both ships and both ports. I would much rather sail on the Legend out of Tampa. So much more laid back in Tampa. The Legend is one of my all time favourite ships. Oh and I also forgot, going under that bridge when you sail out of Tampa is quite a unique experience :D

We've cruised out of Miami many times and Tampa many times. Embarkation and debarkation at Tampa is so quick and easy. If everything else is similar, we always choose Tampa.

We were on the Legend last month and loved it.

Are you flying into Florida? For me flying into Miami is cheaper than flying into Tampa. Might be a factor for you if price is a consideration

Yes we will. DH brought that up to me when I was sharing what I had read so far. I guess the days of flying in on the same day you cruise are fast becoming a thing only the bravest of souls try anymore! Now we have to factor in hotel costs and transport to the terminal. Thankfully our needs are simple, bed, breakfast, and shuttle to the terminal. :D

Are you flying into Florida? For me flying into Miami is cheaper than flying into Tampa. Might be a factor for you if price is a consideration

small world, we are in Emeryville :D

I would still go with the Legend , there are pictures of both ships in my signature.

We live near Tampa but did not sail on the Legend until a couple of years ago. We had sailed a couple of times on the Inspiration before it left for California and found the Tampa terminal very easy to navigate with excellent staff. We enjoyed sailing on the Legend and going under the Skyway is an experience in itself. We have sailed on the Glory 2 times when it was based in Port Canaveral but not out of Miami. Loved the Glory except it is kind of difficult to go from point A to point B. The Miami port is not as organized but we did not have any long delays. We stayed at a La Quinta last December and they had a shuttle to the port. The room was clean and there was a decent breakfast included. Cost was much more reasonable than staying close to the port. Hope you have a wonderful cruise, whichever Ship you choose. ;)

Base it on the ship and not the port: The Legend (spirit class) is my favorite!

I know a lot of people don't like the big screens on the ship but I always base my pick on if the ship has a big screen or not.

I love the big screens so the Legend would get a nay from me.

I like Miami too and like to stay at the Intercontinental.

Bill

I know a lot of people don't like the big screens on the ship but I always base my pick on if the ship has a big screen or not.

I love the big screens so the Legend would get a nay from me.

I like Miami too and like to stay at the Intercontinental.

Bill

I am the opposite. I have the big screens... this is one of the many reasons the Spirit class ships are my favorite..., that and the lido deck... no stadium seating.... and the walk around deck where you can walk completely around the ship... outdoor... so nice...

but I think I would have to choose Tampa and the Legend. It was our last cruise of 8 carnival cruises and we found Tampa relaxed and the ship wonderful. I love the Spirit Class ships - have to say I have not been on Glory though. We flew in to Tampa day of and had no problems and plenty of time. But we fly Southwest and they fly to Tampa and also to Fort Lauderdale but not to Miami.

But either one - you will be on a cruise - enjoy!!!:)

Archived