New smoking policy

DocJames

This much I know is true: A ship isn't a hotel. There is nowhere to go smoke. Smokers will smoke. The more restirctions, the more danger.

Violating smoking rules gets smokers disembarked at their own expense after one warning (or less if the captain decides, since he rules the ship). No refunds.

Wanna chance that?

You should try to handle situations like that while onboard when they can still do something about it. A word with the hotman could go much further than a ton of communication with administration post cruise.

We did very diplomatically try to handle the situation more than once whilst onboard ..............sadly the only response was "we have referred the matter to Shoreside "

The problem on SilverseaSpirit is ................theres nowhere else outside comfortable or sheltered to sit other that the rear of the Panorama lounge and the cigar smokers hogged 2/3rds of it with all their fumes gathering under the canopy

No matter how many times ashtrays were moved back by bar staff or the bar staff politely requested the cigar smokers moved to their own side ( not that it would have made any difference to the problem ) the smokers simply reoccupied the non smoking area and continued

To equate general pollution from petrol and diesel fumes to the concentrated fumes of 6 cigar smokers on just one small area of a ship is beyond the pale

Cigarette smokers were not the problem ...........it was the cigar smoking that defintely was intolerable

Great news. Hooray for Silver Seas. After 2 bad experiences with the smell of smoke on the Seabourn we switched for 2 cruises to the Oceania ( Marina and Riviera)where there is basically zero tolerance. I am hoping Seabourn will get the message.

Boatie

Great news. Hooray for Silver Seas. After 2 bad experiences with the smell of smoke on the Seabourn we switched for 2 cruises to the Oceania ( Marina and Riviera)where there is basically zero tolerance. I am hoping Seabourn will get the message.

Boatie

Doubt it!:eek::rolleyes::eek:

We did very diplomatically try to handle the situation more than once whilst onboard ..............sadly the only response was "we have referred the matter to Shoreside "

The problem on SilverseaSpirit is ................theres nowhere else outside comfortable or sheltered to sit other that the rear of the Panorama lounge and the cigar smokers hogged 2/3rds of it with all their fumes gathering under the canopy

No matter how many times ashtrays were moved back by bar staff or the bar staff politely requested the cigar smokers moved to their own side ( not that it would have made any difference to the problem ) the smokers simply reoccupied the non smoking area and continued

To equate general pollution from petrol and diesel fumes to the concentrated fumes of 6 cigar smokers on just one small area of a ship is beyond the pale

Cigarette smokers were not the problem ...........it was the cigar smoking that defintely was intolerable

We had the same problem with cigar smokers on Regent Voyager who monopolised the only outside bar on the ship. Tried to deal with it on-board and were basically told to go take a hike.

We have not sailed with Regent since.

Just getting rid of cigars (not cigarettes) would be a huge step forward.

We had the same problem with cigar smokers on Regent Voyager who monopolised the only outside bar on the ship. Tried to deal with it on-board and were basically told to go take a hike.

We have not sailed with Regent since.

Just getting rid of cigars (not cigarettes) would be a huge step forward.

I was able to get a cigar smoker on the Voyager to stop. I just sat down next to him and let the wind blow my cigar smoke into his face. He asked me to move or stop and I ignored him. He left shortly thereafter and I extinguished my cigar. I don't know if he resorted to smoking when I wasn't around or just stopped but I never had a problem with cigar smoke again.

i was able to get a cigar smoker on the voyager to stop. I just sat down next to him and let the wind blow my cigar smoke into his face. He asked me to move or stop and i ignored him. He left shortly thereafter and i extinguished my cigar. I don't know if he resorted to smoking when i wasn't around or just stopped but i never had a problem with cigar smoke again.

lol!:d

Rumor has it the policy will be a'changin and NOT in the favor of the cancer addicts:D:D:D:D:D

I've found it NASTY to be able to smell the carcinogens from the Constellation lounge while seated in the Sky Bar. At least during meal service there's no smoking out there.

Baychilla,

I have had conversations about various topics this year with the Seabourn president and head of marketing and have found them to be very reasonable people. So on that basis alone, I trust that they will do the sensible thing and end all smoking in the Observation Bar- an indoors space- where smoking is allowed on the starboard side.

Would I be asking too much for this announcement to be made soon and effective 1 January, 2013 in time for my cruise in February?

Happy sailing!

Archived