New smoking policy

DocJames

Seabourn will, eventually, restrict smoking further. The trend is inexorable and if the competitors start doing it then they will not be far behind. It is just a question of how much and how long.

I agree as well, it'a a matter of time before they will be pressured by the competition to change the smoking policy.

kiawahdon, I totally agree with you. I obviously did not make it clear that I believe that there should be no indoor smoking in public venues where both smokers and non-smokers congregate. In my opinion, the only indoor space where smoking should be permitted is in a well-vented area that is designated for smokers. Non-smokers could then choose whether they wish to socialize with the smokers in that area. I also believe that outdoor designated areas should be sheltered so that smokers can continue to enjoy smoking and, once again, non-smokers could choose to socialize in the area.

Just as dress codes continue to evolve, so will smoking, alcohol policies, etc. and we will all have to choose which cruise lines offer us the style of cruising that we want.

My ideal cruise line will be as "open" as possible so that I can continue to cruise with as wide a range of people as possible - different habits, different political beliefs, different food choices, etc. Hopefully, venues can be created on Seabourn that will allow for that scenario.

Wouldn't it be great if in one fell swoop Seabourn eliminated smoking, eliminated formal dress and eliminated kids???? But then what would we have to talk about on CC?

• Pot smoking heathens
  • Nudists
  • People who think an overly tight dripping wet speedo is approrpriate attire anywhere/anytime
  • Chair hogs
  • Poor quality coffee
  • success or failure of the interior design
  • whether the little sisters are better/worse than the big sisters
  • Whether or not excessive use of "tootle-oo" is grounds for dismissal
  • Poor (mostly red) wine offerings
  • Whether or not Carnival/Hal is reducing the lines quality
  • The French

Yes, I am kidding about that last one. It's a joke. (They need a sarcasm tag).

Wouldn't it be great if in one fell swoop Seabourn eliminated smoking, eliminated formal dress and eliminated kids???? But then what would we have to talk about on CC?

Watch out, they may enact Mariners' enlightened alcohol policy at the same time.....:eek::mad:

Remember, first they came for the ____, but I did not speak out because I did not ___. Eventually the nanny state may try to take away something that you value.

"Live and let live," "To each his own," Che Sera,Sera...."Laissez bon temps rouler."

It is amazing how smoking and dress code threads always materialize when things get slow. My bad for reading, let alone responding!:eek:

They might even see their bottom line improve with bookings from the demographic that cares about health as much as I do.

Totally agree. I'm about to book a cruise for 2013, and I was really keen to try Seabourn. But the smoking is a deal-breaker, bad for health and also makes you stink. Who needs that.

It was looking like Azamara had my money, but now I think I'll check out Silversea if they are to ban smoking in 2013.

Seems you have answered my question

Seabourne is as bad as Silversea in its total lack of consideration for non smoking guests

We sailed ***** Silversea just once and were totally denied any possibility of enjoying fresh air out on deck by the arrogant and selfish Cigar smokers who not only defied the smoking ban on balconies but also hogged the majority of the only comfortable seating outside the Panorama Lounge where the cigar smoke choked all who sat on what was left of the supposedly non smoking side

needless to say Silversea have not had an ounce of courtesy to respond to letters or e mails

You should try to handle situations like that while onboard when they can still do something about it. A word with the hotman could go much further than a ton of communication with administration post cruise.

All you anti-smokers - do you drive a car?

Do you think about the carcinogens and pollutants that your diesel and petrol vehicles pump into the air everyday? Do you think twice about the fumes you inhale? Could you care any less for the pedestrians and cyclists and wildlife you are poisoning?

Honestly - this 'holier-than thou' hypocrisy of the anti-smoking brigade sticks in my craw. I'm a non-smoker. Smoking has never been a major issue while I have been on Seabourn. I don't care for it in the observation lounge, but there are plenty of other places to go, and there are plenty of times when no one is smoking there at all.

All this anti-smoker whining sounds like the Spanish Inquisition.

And, no, I don't drive a car.

Do you think about the carcinogens and pollutants that your diesel and petrol vehicles pump into the air everyday? Do you think twice about the fumes you inhale? Could you care any less for the pedestrians and cyclists and wildlife you are poisoning?

Honestly - this 'holier-than thou' hypocrisy of the anti-smoking brigade sticks in my craw. I'm a non-smoker. Smoking has never been a major issue while I have been on Seabourn. I don't care for it in the observation lounge, but there are plenty of other places to go, and there are plenty of times when no one is smoking there at all.

LOL!!!!:D:eek::D

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise; two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency! Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to the Pope! Um, I'll come in again...

NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms - Oh d***!

Well said Flamin' June!! I'm a non smoker too!!

Let's see...

So I can go to the Observation Bar before dinner where there is smoking and "not like it" and then choose to leave (since there are other places I can go which are smoke free) OR I can complain to Seabourn management and post my demands here that Seabourn live up to standards* long accepted in all bars and restaurants in the civilized world.

*These standards preclude the use of cigarettes, as well as diesel and petrol engines. Their purpose is the reduce health risks for all throughout the indoors hospitality areas while enabling everyone to breathe healthy air.

Simple as that, and I hope that you can appreciate the point too.

Happy sailing!

Let's see...

So I can go to the Observation Bar before dinner where there is smoking and "not like it" and then choose to leave (since there are other places I can go which are smoke free) OR I can complain to Seabourn management and post my demands here that Seabourn live up to standards* long accepted in all bars and restaurants in the civilized world.

*These standards preclude the use of cigarettes, as well as diesel and petrol engines. Their purpose is the reduce health risks for all throughout the indoors hospitality areas while enabling everyone to breathe healthy air.

Simple as that, and I hope that you can appreciate the point too.

Happy sailing!

This is a good point. It has become the norm in a great many countries for smoking to no longer be allowed in bars, restaurants and other indoor (and some outdoor) public places.

Good point except ships are in international waters and not governed by what goes on land.:eek:

Were that the case there would be no SOLAS regulations. Or going by that logic non smokers would be free to find the nearest fire suppression device and use it on any fire (cigarette, cigar, pipe, joint etc...) that they see.

It's too bad the cruise lines don't take the airport approach of: this is your enclosed smoking room. Everyone else gets a less toxic environment.

Archived