few questions Arles to Aix Provence/airfares?

amd1234

Hello, I have a few questions re: our Uniworld Cruise June 2, 2013 Burgandy to Provence. We will be flying probably Delta or Air France Boston to Paris staying three days precruise. I have been checking air fare. and they are about $1,100 per person round trip. Question is it too early to book? Or should we wait? Also the cruise ends in Arles and I didn't realize its almost a two hr. drive to Aix Provence . We wanted to stay maybe two days in this region. Not sure if I want the hassle of transfers to Aix and also transfers to Marseille airport. Need help in making this decision. Aix looks like a beautiful area to explore. HELP...:confused:

Hello, I have a few questions re: our Uniworld Cruise June 2, 2013 Burgandy to Provence. We will be flying probably Delta or Air France Boston to Paris staying three days precruise. I have been checking air fare. and they are about $1,100 per person round trip. Question is it too early to book? Or should we wait? Also the cruise ends in Arles and I didn't realize its almost a two hr. drive to Aix Provence . We wanted to stay maybe two days in this region. Not sure if I want the hassle of transfers to Aix and also transfers to Marseille airport. Need help in making this decision. Aix looks like a beautiful area to explore. HELP...:confused:

We just finished an AMA Rhone/Saone River cruise last month (May). The cruise was great. The entire area is filled with old stone villages, castles, Roman historical items, etc. I didn't think Aix was two hours from Arles, but you could check google maps.

Many persons had arrangements after the cruise to be taken to the Marseille airport.

If you go, be sure to go to Pont du Gard.

Here is my review of our trip on cc:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=103733

Hello, I was wrong and its about one hour. Wonderful review! I know after the cruise my husband will want to fly home. He hates all the transfers and hates confusion. I am the planner. Not sure if I want the hassle of planning a post cruise trip. Probably fly home after the cruise.Thanks ..:)

Hello, I was wrong and its about one hour. Wonderful review! I know after the cruise my husband will want to fly home. He hates all the transfers and hates confusion. I am the planner. Not sure if I want the hassle of planning a post cruise trip. Probably fly home after the cruise.Thanks ..:)

Can you consider staying in Arles for a couple of days? Arles, itself, is charming, and you can rent a car and day trip to some of the lovely Provencal towns including Aix and Nimes, as well as Aigues Mortes. The countryside is lovely, and there are so many sights not covered on the cruise itinerary, all within easy driving range of Arles. Drop your car off in Marsailles, or arrange for an agent to transfer you.

Yes, don't miss Les Baux.

Absolutely, Les Baux. I didn't mention it because it is offered as an excursion either included or optional on just about every itinerary I checked out before booking my own trip.

If you do rent a car and get to Les Baux, you could continue on to the heavenly St. Remy-de-Provence and then kind of double back to stop at Beaucaire or Nimes on your way back to Arles. Would make for a very nice day, I think.

Absolutely go to Aix. My husband and I visited Aix several years ago while on a cruise. We so loved it that 2 years ago we went back to Aix and rented an apartment for 3 weeks. I love to find little gems while cruising.... and love going back for a better look a second and third time!

Don't want to be a spoilsport, gisnered, but that is a huge day, specifically because of the stop in Nimes. We have been to Provence many times and have always found that if you schedule too much you end up disappointed. Nimes is almost? worth a stop on its own and to add St. Remy and Les Baux imo is too much. I would also add that the visit to the quarry art gallery in Les Baux is not short if you enjoy impressionism and my recce to have lunch at La Bauxmaniere, even though huge cost is well worth it.

Was wondering what the steps down to the bottom level of the AmaDagio are like. Looking to book the Provence & Spain Wine Cruise. The C category is sold out but lowest level and B is available with a big difference in price between them. AmaWaterways has an early booking discount until July 31. Will they be having better sales in the future?

Was wondering what the steps down to the bottom level of the AmaDagio are like. Looking to book the Provence & Spain Wine Cruise. The C category is sold out but lowest level and B is available with a big difference in price between them. AmaWaterways has an early booking discount until July 31. Will they be having better sales in the future?

I suspect that if "C" category is sold out, that any reduction in price is highly "iffy". Is "C" category sold out in both directions?

Don't want to be a spoilsport, gisnered, but that is a huge day, specifically because of the stop in Nimes. We have been to Provence many times and have always found that if you schedule too much you end up disappointed. Nimes is almost? worth a stop on its own and to add St. Remy and Les Baux imo is too much. I would also add that the visit to the quarry art gallery in Les Baux is not short if you enjoy impressionism and my recce to have lunch at La Bauxmaniere, even though huge cost is well worth it.

I agree, it would be a long day. It does echo one of the days in my first visit to Provence (and it's true, I was a good deal younger then). Arlesian friends devised our daily itineraries and we crammed a good deal into the five days we were there. While we were exhausted, we loved every minute and have been back several times.

Wasn't thinking of spending much time in the gallery in Les Baux - OP will be in Paris for three days and can have her fill of impressionism at the Orangerie and Musee d'Orsay.

It's true that Nimes really warrants as much time as you can give. Just a little walk in the Jardins de la Fontaine could take the better part of an afternoon if you let it. I'd go with the Maison Carre and the Arena as "Must See", maybe tuck into the cathedral and have a look at the fountains, and go from there till time ran out. Wasn't thinking of St. Remy for much more than a walk around soak up a little scrubbed charm and a possibly stop for a revitalizing, if expensive, cafe'. Half hour - 45 minutes tops.

Would love a lunch at Oustau de Baumaniere, but it would do me in for the rest of the day and evening, these days. Wine at mid-day just makes me so drowsy - 'fraid I'm getting old. ;) Cabro d'Or is quite nice also, by the way, and maybe a sou less expensive?

We had a cabin on the lower deck of the AmaDagio. We didn't have a problem with the stairs. The stairs from the entry deck (check in) going half way down are broad, then you can go down to the restaurant or to lower deck cabins. The stars going to the lower deck is hard for people to pass going up and others going down, but the stairs are not a problem.

We booked early and got the 5 percent discount for early booking and prices did not drop.

4774Papa you have been very helpful. One other question. Since we are looking at the March 25th date how do you think the cabin will feel with only a half window. We just came back from a Northern Europe ocean cruise and only used our balcony one day and to take pictures. Would we be missing lots of sights? This would be our first river cruise.

The best views on a river cruise are from the lounge or the upper deck. However, in March, likely the upper deck is not open or would be too cold. It is my opinion that spending money on a balcony whether French balcony or full balcony, is not worth it. Use the savings to take extra excursions or do a pre/post extension.

gisnered, We're on the same page, but, since we probably won't be back; too much else to do in time remaining, I want to sit by the garden at Bauxmaniere and just enjoy the food and the view.

My comment would be, however, we've been to L'Orangerie and the Musee d'Orsay and yet the experience still doesn't compare. We saw a Cezanne exhibit at the quarry and it still resonates today, especially because it was at the start of our trip and we saw much of what he painted in real life as we toured the region.

4774Papa you have been very helpful. One other question. Since we are looking at the March 25th date how do you think the cabin will feel with only a half window. We just came back from a Northern Europe ocean cruise and only used our balcony one day and to take pictures. Would we be missing lots of sights? This would be our first river cruise.

I don't think you will miss anything. We didn't stay in our cabin that much. I didn't feel that the extra cost for the "French Balcony" was worth it. First, they aren't balconies, just a sliding window. Second, the cabin size is the same on the lower deck.

The only thing that we noticed was that the water level of the river is inches below the half window in the lower deck cabin. We didn't have a problem with that.

We thought AMA went to extra efforts to take care of us. The free internet with a computer in the cabin and free wine for dinner was great as well.

For whatever it's worth, it's probably a bit too early to book air to Paris but -- the train is the way to go between Paris and anywhere else you want to go! At least check it out....

Carolyn

gisnered, We're on the same page, but, since we probably won't be back; too much else to do in time remaining, I want to sit by the garden at Bauxmaniere and just enjoy the food and the view.

My comment would be, however, we've been to L'Orangerie and the Musee d'Orsay and yet the experience still doesn't compare. We saw a Cezanne exhibit at the quarry and it still resonates today, especially because it was at the start of our trip and we saw much of what he painted in real life as we toured the region.

Ah yes, well of course - Cezanne! Your experience is far better than what I remember. All I can remember from my visit to the quarry is a bevy of very pink and yellow nudes by M. Renoir and some Renoir wanna-be's. Not my favorite and, to me, not worth the time. Now Baumaniere for an afternoon, not a lunch while on tour, would be heaven. Absolutely positutely. I've always wanted to stay there, or even next door, but it's still on the bucket list, and probably will always be. Looking forward to our little jaunt - just got our docs! :)

P. S. you might like the exquisite dinner at La Mirande in Avignon.

gisnered, Thanks for the recce. May do that. Is it walkable from the dock?

Not sure where the dock is, but Avignon isn't that big. La Mirande is behind the Palais de Papes.

http://www.la-mirande.fr/#/en/intro/

We had a lovely dinner there by a fireplace one chilly November evening, and drinks after by another f.p.. Ask to see the wine cellar. Not as enormous as some, but interesting none the less - if they will allow you a look in.

We just back from a cruise from Arles to Dijon, and I saved all the maps. We went to see the Carriers de Luminaires sound and light show at the quarry near Les Baux. It was fantastic!!

Projected paintings of Monet and Van Gogh on 14 foot walls with accompanying music!

Archived