Air to Europe booked through Carnival

HarpHarp

Until our upcoming Med. cruise on the Breeze, I have never booked air through any cruise line, but the rate for air fare, pre cruise night at a very nice hotel and transfers was so good I booked.

Now I'm second guessing.

Anybody done this. Was the flight schedule & itinerary acceptable??

I recommend you go to the "Cruise Air" board and read the sticky at the top about using cruise line air. It tells you many of the pitfalls (especially concerning consolidator tickets) and enables you to make a more informed decision.

When no problems arise, people are often happy with their cruise line air. But when things go wrong, they can go very wrong!

As far as the schedule and itinerary, some people will have great experiences (especially those that live near a large international airport) yet other will have horrible routing and too tight of connections.

Just curious as to what you mean here?

Consolidators are brokers who buy bulk packages of seats on certain airlines for a discount, then resell to you (via Carnival). You might save a few dollars this way, but if anything happens (irrops) such as weather, mechanical delay, etc. airlines take care of their own first such as frequent fliers, then direct purchase tickets which puts you at the bottom of the list if your flight is cancelled.

Also..... many consolidator tickets give you tight connections or multiple airlines in a routing that don't have baggage agreements. So if they book you on Delta connecting to a USAirways flight...... you have to claim your bags, recheck them (baggage fees apply for each airline), then go back through security to your gate. You have no control over what airline or what schedule. Cheap seats are often more prevalent on less desirable routings, overnight, etc.

It's a gamble either way, just depends on your tolerance for risk. If your flight is late and you booked through carnival, I've heard they will get you to the next port, but if that is not a US territory, you have to have a passport and you will miss part of your cruise. Thats why many of us book our own flights to ensure we arrive at least a day early and don't have tight connections with different carriers who don't have inter-segment agreements.

Possible minor point for some, but usually you will not receive frequent flyer miles with consolidator tickets.

Good point... also if you have different segments on different airlines, you could have issues with irrops.

If American Airlines is your first segment and they are late arriving causing you to miss your Delta flight.... Delta doesn't care, it wasn't their fault and it makes it difficult to coordinate who is responsible for rebooking you.

There are issues with consolidator tickets, but sometimes the savings is so great, people are will to take the risk...... it's just important to understand what the risks may be.

There are issues with consolidator tickets, but sometimes the savings is so great, people are will to take the risk...... it's just important to understand what the risks may be.

Absolutely correct. Experienced flyers will know the risks but for newbies it still may be a good choice since they will be protected if they miss the cruise.

If air is booked with the cruise line, they will fly you onward to the next port. That could really be a hassle though.

ShotoJuku

The rate was about $200 less than I could find elsewhere & because we are getting a pre-cruise hotel also, free transfers to the hotel & also the ship the next day. It is hard to say this far out what savings if any you may find, especially not knowing what galaxy the NC-1701 may be in at the time:D

Has nobody booked air to Barcelona with Carnival? I understand the pitfalls. Things happen when you travel.

What I am asking is: if you booked air though the cruise line to Barcelona or elsewhere in Europe, were the flights acceptable

Good point... also if you have different segments on different airlines, you could have issues with irrops.

If American Airlines is your first segment and they are late arriving causing you to miss your Delta flight.... Delta doesn't care, it wasn't their fault and it makes it difficult to coordinate who is responsible for rebooking you.

Another problem is with any baggage fees. The second airline might require you to pay for the extra baggage also.

ShotoJuku

The rate was about $200 less than I could find elsewhere & because we are getting a pre-cruise hotel also, free transfers to the hotel & also the ship the next day. It is hard to say this far out what savings if any you may find, especially not knowing what galaxy the NC-1701 may be in at the time:D

Has nobody booked air to Barcelona with Carnival? I understand the pitfalls. Things happen when you travel.

What I am asking is: if you booked air though the cruise line to Barcelona or elsewhere in Europe, were the flights acceptable

I didn't book air through Carnival last October because the options they offered me weren't that great. I found an apartment near Sagrada Familia with a washer/dryer and full kitchen to rent for $130 a night. Mom and I aren't late night party people so staying on Las Ramblas wasn't our thing. We preferred to take the subway there to visit, then go back to a peaceful neighborhood to sleep. If you want nightlife, Las Ramblas is the place to be - just watch for the pickpockets.

Also we both took a cab for much less than Carnival charged for two transfers. I don't know what kind of savings they give when you bundle services though. I've travelled through Europe many times so making our own travel plans is preferable for me.

...especially not knowing what galaxy the NCC-1701 may be in at the time...

I'll be on shore leave in Tampa when we travel next May, first to Venice from Tampa then back to Tampa from Barcelona.

I too am looking for a pre (and possible post) cruise hotel too and am looking to $ave but certainly wish to avoid any "pitfall" headaches too.

Thanks!

Archived