HAL -- significant price drop since we booked

CatG04

We booked our cruise in February for this coming July. Yesterday my husband found out that the same category stateroom on the same sailing is now almost 50% LESS than we paid. We called our travel agent to ask if they would upgrade us or something. She contacted HAL and they have offered us a $75pp onboard credit. Now, while this is very nice of HAL, I do feel it's a little on the cheap side considering the difference between what we paid for the two of us and what we would pay now is almost $1000! I also don't know how much the travel agent will fight for us since she gets paid on a commission based on the cost of the trip.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?

Many thanks!

Cathy

YIPES! I wouldn't be too happy with that offer either. Hope HAL comes up with something better, like moving you to a cabin category which is now priced at what you paid in Feb. I'd hope to be treated better. Push your travel agent to work for YOU!

If the ship is not sold out, then they are going to be offering a sale. Sad but true. Are the higher categories on sale too? If they are, see if your TA can get you moved up (or if the higher categories are just $50 more for example ask for an upsell).

That is why it is best not to look at the fares after final payment. Judging from the influx of new members to the rollcall for our Sept. cruise, they probably took advantage of reduced fares. I may be in the minority, but I don't think HAL owes us anything. They lower the fare to fill the ship. It is painful, but great for those who are looking for last minute bargains!!

Tat's the reward people get for waiting until the last minute to book. But you still could book the new fare, cancel the old one and pay the penalty which could save you considrable money.

I agree with Dave ---- see what cabins are available at the lower rate and talk to your TA about cancelling the first --- you are in the penalty stage ---so be sure to factor that into your calculations, BEFORE you decide. Good Luck !!!

If you're flying to the port, keep in mind that last minute airfare is running high. So if you were just booking the cruise today at the lower price, you'd lose some of the money on increased airfare.

And I totally agree; it's difficult to gauge how hard someone else is pushing in your interests.

I'd ask about upsells.

We booked our cruise in February for this coming July. Yesterday my husband found out that the same category stateroom on the same sailing is now almost 50% LESS than we paid. We called our travel agent to ask if they would upgrade us or something. She contacted HAL and they have offered us a $75pp onboard credit. Now, while this is very nice of HAL, I do feel it's a little on the cheap side considering the difference between what we paid for the two of us and what we would pay now is almost $1000! I also don't know how much the travel agent will fight for us since she gets paid on a commission based on the cost of the trip.

Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do?

Many thanks!

Cathy

Your cruise is within 30 days & obviously there are some cabins left over in your category..That happens in every business..If you have merchandise left over you sell it at a 50% discount..

I can't think of anything you can do at this point, but to accept the $75.00 per person ..

Tat's the reward people get for waiting until the last minute to book. But you still could book the new fare, cancel the old one and pay the penalty which could save you considrable money.

What penality?..Isn't the penality for cancelling, the cruise within 30 days the full fare?

Betty

OK... my TA called HAL. She was told that HAL never does more than give a $75pp onboard credit. The current advertised price is for NEW bookings only. But... and this is the part that I didnt like, they pretty much feel that we should be happy that they gave us the on board credit (which I am happy to have gotten that).

I realize we haven't cruised with HAL as many times as some of you, but there are 11 of us this time, last time there were 16.... that's a lot of money, and I don't feel like HAL appreciates our loyalty. VERY disappointed, more in the overall attitude, than the issue at hand.

OK... my TA called HAL. She was told that HAL never does more than give a $75pp onboard credit. The current advertised price is for NEW bookings only. But... and this is the part that I didnt like, they pretty much feel that we should be happy that they gave us the on board credit (which I am happy to have gotten that).

I realize we haven't cruised with HAL as many times as some of you, but there are 11 of us this time, last time there were 16.... that's a lot of money, and I don't feel like HAL appreciates our loyalty. VERY disappointed, more in the overall attitude, than the issue at hand.

I think they've been quite generous so I really don't get it. If there is another cruise line that is more generous maybe it would be better to book with them in the future.

The biggest advantage (for us) booking early is to get the exact cabin we want, something you may not get if you wait until "last minute". For someone who doesn't care about location, waiting can be better.

If the OP needed specific cabins or locations for the 11 people, that was accomplished months ago and has to be considered an added value for the cruise. Getting in on a last minute fare bargain may mean not getting the location or cabins you want and a less desirable vacation.

Just my two cents.

You don't mention the date of travel which if within 15 days is completely non-refundable if you cancel..If you are scheduled to travel within 28 days you will loose 75% of your fare if you cancel & re-book..l

Are all of the cabins which you booked for 11 people selling at a 50% discount..Did you book & pay for all 11 of you & are you all under one booking number? If so are they giving all of you the $75.00 pp OBC which would be $825.00? Were you able to get all cabins close by & do you know where the cabins are located that are at a reduced rate..Remember these could be cabins which most people who book early don't want..

If you booked all 11 through this TA & last year all 16 through the same TA, perhaps you should lean on the Agent again, to try to get you an up-grade..If she can't do better with HAL Res., & she booked all 11 psgrs for you then maybe she sould contact her HAL Sales Rep..Perhaps he/she might offer a solution..However, if you did not book for all 11 people through the same agent I don't see where loyality comes into play..

But whatever you decide, don't cancel & re book as some have suggested, until you take the entire cancellation policy into consideration & know what you are getting into..

Good luck...

Cheers...:)Betty

OP: Yes, this is always hard when you see how the prices go down after final payment. HAL is a business and if they gave everyone a refund for the difference in the price drops that happen after final payment, they would lose money. I am wondering if you were watching prices up until final payment. Last year I booked in February for August and there were two price drops before final payment which we were able to take advantage of. There is no problem getting the price adjustment up to final payment. Even if it is for new bookings only, you can just cancel (since it is before final payment) and then you rebook. You often have to book a new cabin, but not always. A good TA can do a "refare" according to what a TA who posts on CC has said. (She claims if you refare, then you can keep your cabin) Oftentimes these low prices after final payment are for "guarenteed" staterooms. This means you can't pick the cabin you really want. They will just assign you one.

Last year I was reading that HAL, on occasion, would give free upgrades to people after final payment when their cruises went down in price. It was mentioned that this seems to be hit and miss. Probably depends on how many cabins are left. Others have reported getting an onboard credit. I would check with your TA again and see if HAL will consider an upgrade. Your TA needs to deal with a supervisor, not the customer service agent that answers the phone. A good TA who has a relationship with HAL will know whom to contact.

Good luck and I do hope you get more than the $75pp, but you do have to understand your cruise contract says no refunds after final payment. It is really upsetting to see how much one could have sailed for if they had waited. We usually debate the issue, but as others have mentioned, airfare can often be higher at the last minute. Also, since we are prone to motionsickness, we can't risk a guarentee cabin. We need to choose which cabin we want so we can be mid-ship where there is less motion.

I know this won't help you feel better, but if you buy something from Amazon and the price goes down after the 30 day return policy, they will do nothing for you. Some big ticket items see remarkable price decreases, but it is your loss. If the price drops within the 30 days you can return it and rebuy it.

I hope HAL will give you a little better deal than that $75.

I would be very careful about cancelling and rebooking after reading some of the posts on CC about people being asked to SHARE cabins if all of their bookings are linked somehow (by mdr table or whatever).

If you have missed those posts (2 that I can recall recently), people who had booked 2 cabins (one for a gentleman and the other for his mother in one instance), were being asked (or TOLD) by HAL at the last minute that they would need to SHARE a cabin!! (and they DID!)

Obviously, not happy "cruisers" in the beginning, and, like you, posted here for some advice, etc.

I, personally, don't think I will continue to look at price drops after final payment. I just expect that the fares will go down. Just like I exect cruises (and traveling in general) to go way up in the next 10-20 years!

Have a really nice cruise and don't sweat the stuff....no matter how large or small! :)

I got an upgrade and price drop for a Jan 13 cruise. Spoke to HAL direct and they couldn't have been nicer. Said to call back if I see any others and they would see what they could do then as well. That's why we book direct. Sorry it doesn't help you on this occasion.

I recently switched from a J to an L on the Ryndam...only because it's directly opposite a door to the LP on the stern, and it is exactly the same price as the was when I booked that...so the prices have gone up.

I got an upgrade and price drop for a Jan 13 cruise. Spoke to HAL direct and they couldn't have been nicer. Said to call back if I see any others and they would see what they could do then as well. That's why we book direct. Sorry it doesn't help you on this occasion.

If you booked with a TA, the same thing would have happened. A good TA will check for price drops ( and you can also remind them to do so.) If your Jan. cruise drops in price again after final payment, HAL will respond to you as they did to the OP!

So here's the question - what's the difference between this and those lucky stiffs that get dirt cheap upsells and pay nearly 1/2 price for their cabin while those of us who booked early and took the category pay the going rate? It's a matter of supply and demand - what doesn't sell goes on sale - not too much any of us can do about it:rolleyes:

On the other hand, my cabin on the Ryndam in January has gone up significantly since we booked.

Good point. If we want the price we booked at to be guaranteed not to go up if there is an increase, then we have to accept the fact that the cruiseline does not have to refund any money if the price goes down. It is all part of the fine print. The disturbing part to me is that HAL does not seem to handle all cases the same. If what we read on this forum is accurate, some passengers have gotten upgrades after final payment if their cabin category increased in price after final payment. Others get nothing. Just seems like their policy should be more consistent.

Archived