raincoat for Alaska?

april47

I am looking at this raincoat at LandsEnd that is half price if I get it in red. That would be $62. It says waterproof and breathable not water resistant. Those who have been to Alaska what do you think?

410483_A812_FF_ZTU?fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=80,1&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.5,1,3,0&icc=sRGB%20IEC61966-2.1,relative&iccEmbed=1&rgn=0,0,2000,3000&scl=5.882352941176471

It is very nice looking but I would make sure I had something that was water resistant.

For our Alaska cruise we bought short, hooded rain coats. Mine was from LLbean and DH's was from Dick's sporting goods. They were not long and I could roll them up and stuff them in my back pack when they weren't needed. They have been on all of our cruises.

It says waterproof and breathable not water resistant

WATER PROOF is better than water RESISTANT. If it has a hood, I'd say "buy it". (6 trips to AK) I like that it is a bit longer, too. It is quite similar to a couple that I own.

Well, if it says waterproof that would trump water resistant. I tried to look it up but could not find the same jacket.

Lands End usually has decent quality and the price is good. I remember when we were in Alaska I wished my raincoat covered my bum, there were a few times when I had to sit on benches and on a tender boat, my pants got a bit damp.

Guest maddycat

We did very well during our 2 Alaska cruises (one was a cruisetour - 5 nights on land followed by a 7 night southbound cruise) with windbreakers. Mine had a hood. My husband wore a baseball cap. They were water resistant and were fine. They were very lightweight, layered well over sweatshirts and folded up really small.

I can vouch for the LLBean raincoat. It was perfect for Alaska. Should have bought it years ago, as I now use it all the time Spring/Fall in Michigan! I remember looking at the Lands End coat and deciding the LLBean was better suited for Alaska/rain etc.

Archived