Glacier Viewing

Kreader

Hi, I am going on a back to back Alaska cruise on the Coral Princess in July. Will be seeing Glacier Bay glaciers,College Fjord glaciers,and Hubbard Glacier. Which decks would be the best to view these glaciers? Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks,Kendra

Kendra,

Since you're doing a back to back, you'll have lots of time in Whittier before the cruise continues. I noticed you are interested in glaciers. If you can afford it, look into taking a Prince William Sound cruise on your turn-around day. You'll be on a small boat and get a more up close view of the glaciers. It was probably some of the best money we spent on our last trip to Alaska.

We went on the Sapphire to Alaska, mostly viewed the glaciers from our balcony, often the ship was 'spinning' around so everyone had a chance to view the glaciers from all points. Took the Coral on the Panama Canal and on that ship you can walk all the way forward on the Caribe deck, past two inside doors which leads you to an open deck.

Also, if not too cold you can go up on Sun Deck and walk around while viewing or Lido. The Horizon Court on the Coral is forward and is also great for viewing, but some people get up there very early and stake out chairs and never move. Also, I don't like the view from the Horizon Court since many of the windows have a blue tint and they're not too clear. I still say, if you have a balcony that's the best way, our best pictures were the ones we took from the balcony with good long range camera lenses.

We had a balcony cabin port side on Baja deck but spent a lot if time on the aft deck balcony. As we left Glacier Bay we saw a number of whales (best viewed with binoculars) aft of the ship. You can see that balcony in highheel girl's first photo. Also had good views there in College Fjord.

We just got off the island. We viewed the glaciers from deck 14 outside aft of the pools before you enter the ship at the last set of elevators. Hardly any one was there. When the ship started to turn we moved to the aft of Baka deck and maybe 10 people were there. The hidden balcony was rarely used except by people in the know. Then we watched the last part of the turn from our balcony. So we got the whole one hour view of marjorie glacier. It was a little rainy so I don't know if that kept people from being outside. But we were lucky and saw some fabulous calving.

We just got off the island. We viewed the glaciers from deck 14 outside aft of the pools before you enter the ship at the last set of elevators. Hardly any one was there. When the ship started to turn we moved to the aft of Baka deck and maybe 10 people were there. The hidden balcony was rarely used except by people in the know. Then we watched the last part of the turn from our balcony. So we got the whole one hour view of marjorie glacier. It was a little rainy so I don't know if that kept people from being outside. But we were lucky and saw some fabulous calving.
That's a very good suggestion. Deck 14 just aft of the Lotus Pool was never crowded on our Panama Canal cruise. And the railing was low, without the pexiglass that is in the way on the forward parts of the upper decks.

7375221456_56866400c0_z.jpg

Coral Princess by Jasperdo, on Flickr

I never watch thru a window as I always want to be outside. Topside forward is where I am as we approach, then I move around for different viewpoints. Down on the promenade deck is nice as being closer to the water gives a different perspective. The main tip is that as soon as the Capt turns around to sailaway everyone heads inside. At this time you can have you pick of spots, I like to find a chair either top side aft or on the promenade and just sit and watch the world go by.

On my recent cruise to Alaska on the Sea, while we were in Tracy Arm, I spent all my time on the Promenade Deck. While there was a good number of people there, because it runs the length of the ship, it wasn't at all crowded.

Also do not miss out on the wonderful seafood buffet on glacier viewing day! Wonderful chowder, whole salmon, reindeer chili and the best of all reindeer pizza! They do beautiful ice carvings too so take your camera! we spent equal time last August on the Coral on our balcony and up on the observation decks on glacier days. There is not a bad view!

I also second the recommendation to take the Prince William Sound glacier tour the afternoon of your cruise! The dock is right next to the Coral and you can dump your luggage off and walk next door and take the cruise all afternoon - boards at 1:15 and see absolutely amazing up close to glacier viewing - we had huge calving on that day! We used a BOGO coupon to get the cruise half price out of the Northern Lights coupon book (google it) We then got back to the dock at 5:45 - walked next door to the Princess tent. NO LINES --- got our picture taken, went to our room and luggage waiting! Went right to muster drill and onto an amazing dinner in the dining room - open seating!! Most stresss free boarding of any cruise we have ever taken!

Use the "secret" fore and aft decks on Baja and Caribe. You have to walk thru a hallway of staterooms then just go thru the door at the end of the hall. Very private and allow you to see both sides of the ship. I also agree with doing a Prince William sound cruise. Have a wonderful trip!

If you wish to max your time, move about the ship. The "ship turns" stuff, means you are only getting a fraction of the possible. Many want to experience calving, and this is necessary for that.

Hubbard Glacier is forward viewing for an extended time. Glacier Bay has the commentary match up with the port side. You see at least 4 glaciers here. This is an area that has a lot of wildlife potential, wide angle binoculars are necessary. The wildlife potential starts at dawn. :)

College fjords has the primary viewing and commentary also on the port side.

IF you truely wish to get the most, the upper decks are less desirable than the promanade, and "moving". Being as close as possible to the water is better all the way around for wildlife and glacier viewing.

I also highly recommend a Prince William Sound boat tour, out of Whittier. Unless you have other touring, this is a superb and easy choice. I would not "waste" this day, doing nothing. :) I go on these tours every time I am in Whittier. They are that good. :)

I also second the recommendation to take the Prince William Sound glacier tour the afternoon of your cruise! The dock is right next to the Coral and you can dump your luggage off and walk next door and take the cruise all afternoon - boards at 1:15 and see absolutely amazing up close to glacier viewing - we had huge calving on that day! We used a BOGO coupon to get the cruise half price out of the Northern Lights coupon book (google it)

Which company for BoGo? Or, any other company to recommend?

Archived