Kids club on Carnival for 3 yr old? Also- 3 yr old to Alaska?

tonijmccann

So, my husband and I were talking about going to Alaska next year (we're thinking May? Any certain time better?) on a cruise. We've been doing tropical vacations and were thinking about doing something different. We're looking at the Carnival Miracle. It departs April 29th and is 8 days. The itinerary is Vancouver, Cruise Inside Passage, day at sea, Juneau, Skagway, Cruise Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, day at sea, then then Seattle. We have a daughter who will be a little over 3 1/2 at the time and who has never cruised. Have you had good experience with the kids club on Carnival? How is the Miracle? Is it inappropriate to take a 3 year old to Alaska? Do you recommend going to Alaska? Any excursions you recommend? Also- if we booked an excursion that was for adults only, could we leave her in the kids club? Would they get ahold of us if something went wrong and we were on shore? I'm just nervous! Any advice/information would be great. :)

We've had hit/miss experiences with Camp Carnival... more 'miss' than 'hit, but that is probably mostly due to the kids not being used to being away form both of us for any length of time. It sounds like some of the other lines are a bit better, but you get what you pay for, eh? The Camp itself seemed fine and appropriately equipped.

I don't see any problem with Alaska. As you point out, it's more of an adult destination, but it's really tough to find good excursions at that age anyway. We did the train to Canada ~5 years ago, and I'm sure the kids would/will love that when we go back. If she is outdoorsy, she'll love to see the salmon running and other wild animals.

I would try to go more towards the mid-season. There is a reason why it's more expensive, but probably worth it. We went late for the year we did go, and the towns were already rolling up the sidewalks. :eek: More importantly, very few salmon were running and no wild flowers. We still loved it, but agreed that we'd pay more to go at least a month away from the start/end of the season the next time.

There are plenty of kid-friendly excursions in Alaska. Wildlife excursions, lumberjack show etc etc. I would also recommend going later in the season. They'll likely still have the sidewalks rolled up that early. The salmon won't be running yet. I'm not sure if the whales will have returned either.

They will not call your cell phone if something happens and you are off the ship. If it is an emergency and you are on a ship's excursion, they will probably try to contact you. I would just plan on taking your dd with you on the excursions. There is lots to see and so in Alaska. My ds was just turned 4 when we went. He went sea kayaking, whale watching etc.

Also- if we booked an excursion that was for adults only, could we leave her in the kids club? Would they get ahold of us if something went wrong and we were on shore? I'm just nervous! Any advice/information would be great. :)

There are several excursions available that would be good for your daughter, like a boat trip to see seal, whales, etc. Yes, you can leave her in the kids' club if you take an adult excursion BUT they will not be able to contact you if something goes wrong. Up to you, but I would never leave a child that young - anything can happen, including your not being able to get back to the ship before it sails.

At this age the kid's clubs seem to be about the same. The main issue would be is how your child is being left at daycare, preschool or babysitter? At this age separation anxeity can be a problem.

Alaska is as kid friendly as any other vacation. The vacation will be different because of the 3yo.

In Juneau one idea is to take the tram up to the top of Mt Roberts. When we went the tix cost the same at the booth or on the ship.

Another idea is to go to a dog sled camp. There are some on the glacier and some in the 'lowlands'. The ones in the 'lowlands' train with wheels on the sleds. If there are puppies they will let you play with them.

We just came back from 7-night Seattle RT on Carnival Spirit. My 4.5 years old daughter loved the Camp Carnival so much that she asked to go there every single day. It's really depends on your child if she is used to go to pre-school or daycare. My DD's first cruise was when she was 2 and she had no problem going to camp. They have different activities on half an hour interval which definitely keep kids there busy.

You can leave your kid there until 10 p.m. (CCL charge $6.75/hr per kid after 10 p.m.) so you guys can enjoy some entertainments on board. You will have to pick up your kid for lunch on sea days but you can leave kids there all day on port days if you want. We always pick DD up for family lunch and dinner together so I cannot comment on the camp lunch service.

For the 2-5 age group, they'll give you a cell phone so they can contact you anytime while you are on board (your friends/family on the ship can also call you at that cell phone which is very useful :D). We always take our DD to all the port excursions so we never left her on the ship but you can do that if you want to. Alaska is easy as it is U.S. so Camp advisers can always call you on your personal cell phone if they have to.

I have attached the Camp Carnival activity schedule so you can check out the details.

Archived