Ketchikan Waterfront Kayaking Tour

MarcieandTed

http://www.kayakketchikan.com/ketchikan_kayaking.html

Has anyone done the kayaking around the waterfront? Ketchikan is a pretty town and I think we'd enjoy it (family of four with two girls aged 12 and 13). Are there other companies who do it besides SE Kayaks? Their 8:30 tour is full on our day in port, 7:30 is still open however.

If there are other companies near the dock, is it an feasible option to just walk off the ship and decide (or not) to do it?

Not sure we want a 4 hour excursion (Orca Cove), since we are only in port from 6:00-1:00 and want to have plenty of time to wander around the town.

If you don't get any responses, try doing a search on this forum for the vendor. When I researched this topic last year, I decided the waterfront option was not what I was looking for. It sounded like too busy of an area. The Orca Cove trip appealed to me more, but in the end my DH wanted to do the Misty Fjords boat tour.

We went with Ketchikan Kayak Co just a couple days ago - http://ketchikankayakco.com/ - and it was a highlight of our cruise!!! They have a 7:30am tour (we did the 12:30pm one). I've been to Ketchikan twice before (shopped the 1st time and did walking tour the 2nd time) and this was by far my best experience in Ketchikan and I'd kayak there again in a heartbeat, but never near where the ships dock. I loved the more sheltered area where this company takes you (Knudsen Cove). We were told to not let any rain scare us away and I'm sure glad we didn't because we saw so much wildlife that day - a couple harbor seals & sea lion, several eagles and even a humpback whale!!! (I never thought I'd have seen one of those in that area). My 10 yr old nephew loved it so I imagine your kids would, too. We were rookies but had no problems in the kayak. Another thing I liked about this company is that the groups are smaller than the other one you mentioned. We saw that group and were glad it was just 3 of us and the guide so we could hear her better. I can't say enough good things about our experience (even on the rainy day we had).:)

We kayaked with Southwest Kayaks in Ketchikan a couple of years ago. The description of that tour doesn't match ours exactly but we had a great time. I think there were 12 people on our tour and we did not paddle into the creek.

We've done several kayak trips out of Ketchikan. I only go as a walk up, since I've gotten picky on the weather "comfort" priority I have. :) The kayaking up Creek St was always a lot of fun for my kids, and especially interesting, if you hit a salmon run. But, I definately prefer the remote area outside of downtown Ketchikan.

We've done several kayak trips out of Ketchikan. I only go as a walk up, since I've gotten picky on the weather "comfort" priority I have. :) The kayaking up Creek St was always a lot of fun for my kids, and especially interesting, if you hit a salmon run. But, I definately prefer the remote area outside of downtown Ketchikan.

Are there vendors at the dock to book trips from?

I think you're right about waiting to see what the weather is, since they don't refund for rain.

Are there vendors at the dock to book trips from?

I think you're right about waiting to see what the weather is, since they don't refund for rain.

Yes there are booking options at the Dock visitor center, but I call directly.

Yes there are booking options at the Dock visitor center, but I call directly.

do you have any venders that you would highly recommend? DH and I know how to kayak and would love to get closer to the glaciers and see more wildlife.

thanks

do you have any venders that you would highly recommend? DH and I know how to kayak and would love to get closer to the glaciers and see more wildlife.

thanks

There isn't any glacier kayaking out of Ketchikan. Rent and go across Mendenhall Lake, excellent kayaking. Little wildlife sightings however. http://www.juneaukayak.com/mendenhalllake.html

Archived