Coach transfer Lime St., --Pier Head

As Victor Meldrew said ,"I cannot believe it",the return coach fare in Freds., new brochure is £38 ,the journey takes 5 minutes either way, 10 minutes in all.

Perhaps a member of the staff at Ipswich ,would enlighten us on here why,the fuel tank on the coach will be filled with gold and not ordinary fuel.

At £3.80 a minute ,I feel the coach company has immediately put itself out of business. :eek::eek:

As someone who lives in Liverpool I can't think why anyone would bother with a coach. Plenty of taxis in the station. Perhaps this pricing was originally based on the coach having to take passengers to Langton Dock, from where Fred used to depart from. This is a longer run and whilst taxis would still be cheaper, they would not be as cheap as they would be to the Pier Head.

There is also a City Centre circular bus service which also links to the Pier Head - details on the Mersey Travel web site.

I suppose there will always be people who will take the easy option - just like many take cruise shore excursions rather than save money and plan their own.

John

Hi John, I,ve just seen you have just been on the Athena and did The gardens of Cornwall. I,ve just been on the ship up to the North Cape. I believe you had some pretty awful weather and couldn,t get into Dover and turned back to Portsmouth.

A lady,Jennifer,did the last 3 cruises,said the weather was pretty rough.:)

Yes £38 is absurd. I think it probably is a hangover from previous details for transfers from Lime Street to Langton Dock as I think that is what it was when we went on a mini cruise from Liverpool about a year ago. I suspect they would not have arranged coach transfers for next summer's cruises as yet. However even to Langton dock the transfer was overpriced as a taxi would probably have cost little more than a tenner.

It is true there are always taxis waiting at the station and it is only a short distance accross town, so it should not cost much at all. Hence it is hardly worth travelling by bus with luggage and having to get to and from the bus stops. It may be worth getting the bus if you are on a mini cruise and do not have much luggage, but I think the circular busses in Liverpool charge, (unless you have a bus pass of course), so the total price for two or more people could still be less by taxi than on the bus! I assume the cost for the Fred Olsen bus transfer will take account of the fact that it is little used, as well as being a profit making exercise, as are port excursions.

We finished the afformentioned mini cruise in Greenock and found the train to Glasgow was less that the coach transfer. It was also quite a pleasant stroll through Greenock and we had a drink on the way. Again if we had much luggage it would not have been easy though.

Hi John, I,ve just seen you have just been on the Athena and did The gardens of Cornwall. I,ve just been on the ship up to the North Cape. I believe you had some pretty awful weather and couldn,t get into Dover and turned back to Portsmouth.

A lady,Jennifer,did the last 3 cruises,said the weather was pretty rough.:)

Yes the cruise was shortened and returned to Portsmouth rather than Dover, but it meant a shorter ride back home on the Shearings coach. The trip was a Shearings charter. We didn't make it to the Isles of Scilly and had an extra day in Falmouth, but the second day was nice. The only rough bit was part of the night back to Portsmouth but only noticed as I woke during the night. ATHENA appears to handle rough seas fine.

John

• 4 weeks later...

In response to your recent post we are pleased to announce that we now offer a complimentary shuttle coach service between Lime Street Station and Pier Head (and vice versa). It is not necessary to pre-book this service. For more details please visithttp://www.fredolsencruises.com/About-Cruising/Cruise-Departure-Ports/England-Cruise-Ports/Cruises-from-Liverpool/By-Train/By-Train

Regards

FOCL

Archived