Early Saver Cancellation - Question on Deposit

Hi - hoping someone can confirm my understanding of the cancellation policy for an Early Saver booking regarding the deposit.

We have a cruise booked for 3 people, about 4 months from now. We have only paid the initial deposit of $300.

Based on my understanding of the policy (which isn't crystal clear to me), if I cancel, I would lose $150 ($50 for each person), leaving me with $150 from the original deposit. That amount would be "held" by Carnival for a future booking within two years.

I am unable to get any money back as a cash refund, and I would not owe any additional money beyond the amount from the deposit.

So in the end, if I cancel now and don't book a new cruise within 2 years, I am out my $300 deposit, no more and no less.

Please confirm that the above information is accurate. Thanks in advance.

Jason

I first read it each pax had a deposit of $300 .. but reread it .. and now think you mean $300 total .. its a short cruise then??

Yes, from the date you cancel .. the 2 years starts that exact day (so some people wait until closer to final payment).. you have 2 years to use the rest of the credit, 3 years to cruise.

$50 pp fee you lose, the rest of the deposit is held in each of the 3 pax's name. If you paid someone else's deposit, you can fill out a form you fax and get notarized and have to prove you paid it, or the other $50 is held in each name.

Fire makes a good clarification that it's help in each person's name. I had a cruise booked ES and canceled one passenger. In our case it was a $350 deposit (Alaska cruise) and after the cancelation, he had a $300 credit. I completed the "Transfer of Cruise Credit" form since I paid the deposit and could prove it. I was able to apply the $300 to my upcoming Baltic cruise, so lost only $50.

Sorry you have to cancel your cruise! :(

Yes, only a 3-day cruise, $300 total deposit.

Good info, thanks. A few posts implied that there was a $50/pp cancellation fee in addition to the deposit, so just wanted to make sure that the deposit was the only money that would potentially lost.

Many thanks for the quick reply and additional context.

Fire makes a good clarification that it's help in each person's name. I had a cruise booked ES and canceled one passenger. In our case it was a $350 deposit (Alaska cruise) and after the cancelation, he had a $300 credit. I completed the "Transfer of Cruise Credit" form since I paid the deposit and could prove it. I was able to apply the $300 to my upcoming Baltic cruise, so lost only $50.

Sorry you have to cancel your cruise! :(

When we had to cancel DD we never had any paperwork. It was all kept electronically at CCL. I was very happy it was there to use on our next cruise. (The IT at CCL isn't the best.)

When we had to cancel DD we never had any paperwork. It was all kept electronically at CCL. I was very happy it was there to use on our next cruise. (The IT at CCL isn't the best.)

The only paperwork I had was the form to transfer the credit into my name. If you kept the credit in your DD's name, there wouldn't be any paperwork. If they're holding the credit in your name, then it was either a rare exception or maybe they do that if the passenger canceling is a minor? I don't know. In my case, my husband and I split a few months after booking. I paid the deposit, so I had it transferred into my name--he would never have used it anyway, and I most definitely would (and have!). If I didn't complete the Transfer of Cruise Credit form, the credit would have been held in his name and ultimately lost.

To apply the credit to my Balti cruise, I just called Carnival and they applied it to my booking, reducing my final payment about by $300. :D

Everyone, thanks for the great info. Fortunately (for us), we are now able to go on the cruise again, and even were able to get $100 reduced based on the price protection guarantee!

Not sure if this experience will stop me from booking with Early Saver now that I know the consequences, but I will most definitely think twice about it.

Happy cruising,

Jason

I had several booked ES with my sister and she suddenly got married, within 2 months of meeting someone and they left me hanging. (I had paid for everything, and they said, hey your fault for booking so many).

Made me think twice about ever booking ES again.

So I wonder what Carnival would do in the situation of someone having a life threatening illness (cancer for instance, and need treatment) or finding themselves unexpectedly.... expecting? I mean a LOT can happen in between the time you book a cruise and the time of sailing, especially when some cruises book over 2 years out. I suppose Carnival would do nothing.... your own loss if you've booked early saver. Would trip insurance cover these situations?

Liz

So I wonder what Carnival would do in the situation of someone having a life threatening illness (cancer for instance, and need treatment) or finding themselves unexpectedly.... expecting? I mean a LOT can happen in between the time you book a cruise and the time of sailing, especially when some cruises book over 2 years out. I suppose Carnival would do nothing.... your own loss if you've booked early saver. Would trip insurance cover these situations?

Liz

As long as you bought insurance early enough it would cover even pre-existing conditions. Depends on what policy you bought if it covered 100% though.

Carnival would do nothing of course. How can they pick and choose who to help .. it would never happen. I know one guy came on here, and it was some big blizzard 2 winters ago in Baltimore and he was stupid enough to talk to the toll free folks who said, well if he didnt get on the ship, write and they might give his reason consideration. he was so upset he got nothing and didnt do everything in his power to get on that ship. He lived in baltimore, but his street wasnt plowed and he was snowed in.

Ive heard of people posting someone was in ICU, dying .. doesnt matter, you either get on that ship or you lose the money if you dont get insurance, its your fault.

Everyone' date=' thanks for the great info. Fortunately (for us), we are now able to go on the cruise again, and even were able to get $100 reduced based on the price protection guarantee!

Not sure if this experience will stop me from booking with Early Saver now that I know the consequences, but I will most definitely think twice about it.

Happy cruising,

Jason[/quote']

I'm glad it worked out for you!

When booking ES, you definitely need to understand the restrictions and make an informed decision. It's not always the right decision, but it can be. :D

Liz

No need to wonder--they won't do anything. :( That's what insurance is for. :D

When you guys refer to "insurance" do you mean the insurance that Carnival offers? I do have some chronic health issues that are currently being investigated (knock on wood it won't keep me from cruising), but I booked ES fares and do not have any insurance as of yet. Should I tack on Carnival's insurance?

When you guys refer to "insurance" do you mean the insurance that Carnival offers? I do have some chronic health issues that are currently being investigated (knock on wood it won't keep me from cruising), but I booked ES fares and do not have any insurance as of yet. Should I tack on Carnival's insurance?

Carnival's insurance is one option, but you can get better coverage for less from a third-party insurer. Check out insuremytrip.com. You can put in your information and compare multiple policies side by side. I've insured my upcoming cruises through that site and it gets a lot of recommendations here on Cruise Critic.

I hope all turns out well with your health issues. :D

Archived