Question about Travelex policies

Hi,

I was checking travelex website and tried to get a quick quote. I've got a choice of 3 plans from Stonebridge and 2 plans from Old Republic. The first one from Stonebridge clearly has less benefits than others, so I'm not considering it. But two others from Stonebridge are pretty much the same than those two fom Old Republic.

I wonder if there's any reason why I should prefer either Stone bridge old Old Republic, or either one would be good.

Thanks for advice!

I use travelex often.

I would focus on which plan meets your need the best rather than the underwriter.

Keith

Agreed. Pick the plan that has the benefits you need at a reasonable cost and don't worry about the underwriter (they're both reputable).

well, i tried to compare the plans, but I found out that:

#1. Travel Select from Stonebridge offers pretty much the same coverage that TraveLite from Old Republic

and

#2. Travel Max from from Stonebridge offers pretty much the same coverage that TravelPlus from Old Republic.

So once I make a decision to go with ether choice #1 or #2, I will have to make a choice between Stonebridge or Old republic.

The administrator (TravelEx) is far more important than whatever insurance fund financially backs the policies. You'll never be talking to anybody at either Old Republic or Stonebridge during a claim; you deal solely with TravelEx.

Yes, I agree it is far more important to have a good plan administrator (Travelex).

For whatever it's worth, Moody's downgraded the ratings of Old Republic a few days ago. I don't know anything about Stonebridge.

If the policies are indeed the same, I would check the ratings of Old Republic and Stonebridge and purchase the one with the better rating, unless that plan is far more expensive.

Even downgrades by the rating agencies do not put top insurance companies in any danger, or junk, zone, so don't worry about this too much.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

• 2 weeks later...

I buy from TravelEx because I know that they will insure that my claims are honored. I'm not all that concerned with who is underwriting the policy.

After having been severely "burned" by two well recommended (by travel agents) companies, I have found that dealing with TravelEx is a pleasure.

The last time I called them to get insurance for a trip in 2014 (DH has preexisting conditions so I have to buy within a limited time of booking) they advised me to purchase the minimum dollar coverage and then add to it as the trip gets closer and the expenses are known. I think that's great service!

Archived