Shore Excursions Suggestions in Maui, Hawaii and Kauai

ggo85

We are stopping at the above islands -- ports of Kona and Hilo in Hawaii. Not really interested in scuba, hiking or fishing. Don't want the hassle of renting a car. We have no mobility issues and do enjoy a good walk (vs. a 3-mile hike).

Enjoy seeing things unique to a particular city/island. We generally take ship's tours -- and typically have not been disappointed although I understand the drawbacks. We would take a private tour (and have done so) if it offers something unique.

Would appreciate suggestions for things to do. If it's simply walking around town, that's ok.

We did all ship excursions for the convenience. In Maui, we went to the plantation and Iao Valley. I would go back again. The plantation was very informative with very nice grounds to tour. The Iao Valley portion had very beautiful views. The 2nd day we went to Lahaina. There is plenty of shopping and a beach to walk to. We had 6 hours to explore. If we went back to Maui, we would probably rent a car. In Hawaii, we went kayaking in Hilo. Kayaking in the ocean can be challenging. If we went back, we would probably kayak on a different island. In Kona, we took the Zodiac excursion which was quite the extreme adventure. You ride a raft that goes super fast. They drop you off in a protected area for snorkeling. It was my first time and it was great. We actually saw a shark that was sleeping which is a pretty rare site. We also saw several other large fish. Other people on the ship who did snorkeling with Body Glove wasn't as great. We would go on the Zodiac again. In Kauai, we took a riverboat cruise and saw the fern grotto. It was pretty but we probably wouldn't do it again. They had kayaking on the same river to a waterfall, we would probably do this if we went back. We also did the canopy ziplining which was amazing and we would do again. There were amazing views as we were up on the mountaintop to start. Both Kona and Kauai had shopping that you could walk to off the port. Kona, you have to tender to port. Kauai has a beach you can walk to at the port. At Maui and Hilo, you must have transportation from port. Most ports had free or inexpensive shuttles that you could take to popular shopping areas. You can check with the main desk on ship for shuttle schedules.

What time of year? Whale watching is fun if it is the right time of year. I know you said no scuba how about snorkel? If snorkel is good Molokini is a good place to go. There are some good shore snorkel spots as well. A day in Lahaina is great for shopping and we always spend a day there while we are in Maui.

The Iao Valley is a worthy stop but if it was my first visit I would opt for Hana or a snorkel.

We usually spend a day in upcountry as well. We love Makawao there is a good place to zip line up there as well.

Do the cruise ships offer trips to Hana? If so that would be my choice depending on whether they stop or just drive straight through. . The drive is stunning the stops along the way are too.

Sooo much to do on Maui!:D

Unless the area hass changed a lot since my last visit, no, unless its a Saturday and the market is going. There are a few shopping centers near by but nothing I would find interesting as a visitor. I would plan an excursion or rent a car.

Hi!

We just had our first Hawaiian cruise this April/May and we loved it.

On Maui we paddleboard surfed - was not as hard as it looked and went to a luau in Lahaina (Old Lahaina Luau) and then we also went to the Haliakala crater (we spent 2 day in Lahaina), which took most of the day. Bused up and then back down with a stop for lunch

In Kauai we booked a helicoptor tour and it was amazing! We would do it again in a heartbeat. The island is so beautiful from above!

We booked all our excursions with the ship - Royal Caribbean.

Hope you have a wonderful time! :D

We also enjoy finding tours that will give us a unique experience for any place that we are visiting, and we found a great tour of Maui. We saw lots of different areas, from the coast to up the side of a volcano. The views we had of Maui were really impressive. We had a great picnic lunch at the Maui winery, sampled some wines, and tasted lots of different maui-made stuff thorugh the day. We were throughly impressed with this tour. This is the tour we went on http://hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/MauiIslandTasteTour.htm

We also booked our tour for Kona as well as a tour in Hilo with the same company. All three were great, excellent customer service and tour guides. Great experience, definitely going to go back to Hawaii!

Did this tour start from Lahaina? We are booked on a Princess cruise that docks in Lahaina. I really like the look of this tour as the cruise ship has a similar one, but the ships tour over $100 more person. I think the tour looks great, but do they pick you up at the cruise ship in Lahiana?

Did this tour start from Lahaina? We are booked on a Princess cruise that docks in Lahaina. I really like the look of this tour as the cruise ship has a similar one, but the ships tour over $100 more person. I think the tour looks great, but do they pick you up at the cruise ship in Lahiana?

FYI, the ship doesn't dock in Lahaina. It is a tender port.

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off Pride of America and we rented cars everywhere. It was very easy to rent cars. We used discounthawaiicarrental (http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/) and actually rented either the night before or the morning we arrived in port. All the islands are easy to drive around. In Maui, we did the road to Hana on our own and it was great - we could stop wherever and do it on our own time. And if you are really worried about time, you can do it all in probably under 6 hours. We also drove up the crater.

In Kauai, we rented snorkeling equipment from Boss Frogs $8 for 24 hours and stopped at many places to snorkel. We also drove Waimea Canyon.

Doug

Hi Jessica,

Yes, our tour started from Lahaina. From what i could see, this is the same tour the ship has, but Princess is charging a lot more for it. Glad we took this tour, it was a really fun day.

• 1 month later...
We are stopping at the above islands -- ports of Kona and Hilo in Hawaii. Not really interested in scuba, hiking or fishing. Don't want the hassle of renting a car. We have no mobility issues and do enjoy a good walk (vs. a 3-mile hike).

Enjoy seeing things unique to a particular city/island. We generally take ship's tours -- and typically have not been disappointed although I understand the drawbacks. We would take a private tour (and have done so) if it offers something unique.

Would appreciate suggestions for things to do. If it's simply walking around town, that's ok.

Would you consider doing water activities in Kona? From my experience, Kona is one of the best spots to snorkel in Hawaii, lots of great stuff to see. If you haven't decided yet on Kona, look at snorkeling tours.

Kona has great snorkeling, dolphins too. If you havent' planned a snorkeling tour yet, Kona is a great place to do it.

Archived