Are Gloves a Necessity?

jstducky

Thanks Yukon. I know it gets cold out on deck. Last time I went to Alaska, I couldn't find my gloves, so I didn't bring any and I was ok.

I was just concerned about whether or not I would really need them for the glacier landing and the dog sledding.

Last year I had some of those ear mits that are formed and look like the shape of an ear. I think there must be some type of wire in them and bend out and then pop down over your ear. These were ideal because they weren't heavy and in the wind they were just perfect. I highly recommend them.

The first year I went to Alaska I made the mistake of not taking gloves. When we were touring Hubbard Glacier I just about froze my hands. Never again. I now keep them permanently in my jacket. Take them.

Marilyn

Gloves/mittens and also a hat or skiing earband are a must in my book, especially on glacier watching days. I wished I had brought my long underwear too, but we went in late August/early Sept.

When doing the glacier/dogsledding excursion ... how cold does it get... we will be in Skagway on the 26th and I was wondering if I need very warm pants besides just jeans.

You may? , I never take jeans to Alaska, too bulky, tend to get and stay damp and take forever to dry. I greatly like leggins and wind pants. Key is quick drying. :)

I think they are made of nylon, aren't they? Are they lined? We leave in less than a week and I may need to run to Wal Mart for some. I hope they still have them in Florida in May :)

I was thinking of taking exercise pants, similar to leggins I guess, to wear under my outer pants. I figured they could do double duty if I were to get motivated and actually go to the gym too. :p

Archived