Bathingsuits please!!

Star1

What beach can we go to that wear bathingsuits. I do not want a nude beach or topless. We like to snorkle but would just do a beach day if needed. I also need taxi info to the beach for 3 people. We will be there Oct 3rd on the Valor. Ship times 10-3.

thanks

What beach can we go to that wear bathingsuits. I do not want a nude beach or topless. We like to snorkle but would just do a beach day if needed. I also need taxi info to the beach for 3 people. We will be there Oct 3rd on the Valor. Ship times 10-3.

thanks

I have never seen toplessness at Littlebay. http://www.divilittlebay.com/ Or at Petite Plage in Grand Case. http://www.snorkel-trips-sxm.com/

http://www.taxistmaarten.com/ Click on Zones and Rates for prices

I prefer Petite Plage to Little Bay myself.

thanks

Boy, It's been a while since I've seen such a demanding post here.

Walk or take a taxi to Great Bay Beach. Walk is free, taxi should be about $3 per person.

No snorkeling, but pretty nice beach. Cannot absolutely guarantee no topless, but someone might choose to surprise you.

I wouldn't go into the water for any reason.

gary

You can wear a bathing suit to any beach on St. Martin. There is no requirement to go nude or topless. Great Bay has a long history of pollution. It is the beach right in the town, closest to the cruise ships. Orient is the most beautiful beach on the island (IMHO). Any beach you go to on the island has the possibility of toplessness, the nude resort at Orient is only .3 of a mile long although there are occasional strollers along the length of the beach. Go and enjoy.

Club Orient's beach is not the "nude side", it is the "Clothing Optional" side.

From their website:

Club orient is a clothing optional resort which means you can dress as you please, from nude to completely clothed and anywhere in-between. Some guests become naturists gradually. Others recognize immediately how much more enjoyable being clothes free is almost immediately. There is no correct approach to becoming a naturist.

gary

...Great Bay has a long history of pollution. It is the beach right in the town, closest to the cruise ships.

Here you go ;). Hope this is helpful.

Ahh... yes, very helpful -- thanks. I'm not a beach person, prefer to do other things while in port, so I rarely pay attention to "beachy" threads. But I'm traveling with a family group of 9 in a few months and some will likely wish to go for a swim. TYVM for the info, I would not have otherwise known. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

I love St. Martin. My favorite beach is Orient Beach where nudity/topless is optional. If you stay up near the north end, there are very few people who go topless. Nudity is restricted to Club O at the southern end. However, early in the morning ( before 9 am), some people from Cub O do walk the beach. I just ignore them. I always wear a suit. When I cruise or have small kids with me, I head to the beach in Philipsburg next to the Boardwalk. The watertaxi drops you right in town. If you walk along the boardwalk in either direction, there are lots of umbrella/chaise rentals. In May, we got 2 chaises/umbrellas and 6 drinks(soda or beer) for $15...bargain. Water is beautiful and very convenient for cruising. I also can get in some shopping.

I love St. Martin. My favorite beach is Orient Beach where nudity/topless is optional. If you stay up near the north end, there are very few people who go topless. Nudity is restricted to Club O at the southern end. However, early in the morning ( before 9 am), some people from Cub O do walk the beach. I just ignore them. I always wear a suit. When I cruise or have small kids with me, I head to the beach in Philipsburg next to the Boardwalk. The watertaxi drops you right in town. If you walk along the boardwalk in either direction, there are lots of umbrella/chaise rentals. In May, we got 2 chaises/umbrellas and 6 drinks(soda or beer) for $15...bargain. Water is beautiful and very convenient for cruising. I also can get in some shopping.

Great Bay has had documented pollution issues for years. I first read about it here in 2007. The last to e I swam in Great Bay was 2006. Do a search on this sie on Great Bay pollution for more information.

Great Bay has had documented pollution issues for years. I first read about it here in 2007. The last to e I swam in Great Bay was 2006. Do a search on this sie on Great Bay pollution for more information.

That should have read " the last time I swam" ( sorry)

In post#8 of this thread Host Faith posted a link to the Great Bay Pollution- what's it like now thread. Read it and make up your own minds as to if you think that it is a good place to swim on the island or not.

I love St. Martin. My favorite beach is Orient Beach where nudity/topless is optional. If you stay up near the north end, there are very few people who go topless. Nudity is restricted to Club O at the southern end.

<snip>

There is total nudity allowed at Coco Beach Club at the Northern end of Orient.

See my previous post here.

gary

This sounds like a good plan for short stay in St Martin. Do you know if the water is clean for swimming? I am just starting to research and the beaches are all running together. We will be there late Nov into Dec. TIA Grammy

This sounds like a good plan for short stay in St Martin. Do you know if the water is clean for swimming? I am just starting to research and the beaches are all running together. We will be there late Nov into Dec. TIA Grammy

The beach in town is called Great Bay Beach. It has had pollution issues for years. Islanders know this and you rarely see one swimming here even though many live close to this beach. Even on a day with 0 or 1 ship in port they choose other beaches on the island to swim at.

See post #8 up above on this thread. Host Faith posted links to a thread:

"Great Bay Pollution What's it Like Now".

That thread will provide you with information so that you can make the correct decision for yourself regarding swimming at this beach.

Orient beach on the other hand does not have documented pollution concerns.

On my last visit to St Maarten/St Martin, our taxi driver passed along this cute little rule of thumb:

On the Dutch side, gambling is legal, but topless/nude sunbathing is not. On the French side, topless/nude sunbathing is legal, but gambling is not.

As far as nude folks not strolling Orient Beach after 9AM, that has not been my experience.

I'm confused. Is the beach in Philipsburg next to the boardwalk Great Bay?

Are chairs and umbrellas available at Orient?

Yes. Great Bay beach is the beach by the boardwalk in Philipsburg. That is the beach that you can walk to or take a water taxi to. Since this is now the 2nd page of this thread I will once again suggest reading about the pollution concerns at this beach. Go to post #8 of this thread for links.

Pretty much anything that you would need for a great beach day can be found at Orient. Chair and umbrella rentals, food, bars ,restaurants, massages, shops, some snorkeling and water sport rentals. One other thing, even if you "forget" your bathing suit you can enjoy this beach as it also has a clothing optional section.

Yes. Great Bay beach is the beach by the boardwalk in Philipsburg. That is the beach that you can walk to or take a water taxi to. Since this is now the 2nd page of this thread I will once again suggest reading about the pollution concerns at this beach. Go to post #8 of this thread for links.

Pretty much anything that you would need for a great beach day can be found at Orient. Chair and umbrella rentals, food, bars ,restaurants, massages, shops, some snorkeling and water sport rentals. One other thing, even if you "forget" your bathing suit you can enjoy this beach as it also has a clothing optional section.

Thank you for the clarification.

When I went to Dawn Beach, I did not see any topless bathers. It is located on the Dutch side of the island. I've heard conflicting stories whether topless is permitted on the Dutch side or not, but there wasn't any the day I was there.

I've been to Orient after 9 a.m. and there were occasional topless strollers walking up and down the beach but everyone who was occupying the lounge chairs or swimming were clothed except in the Club O area.

Archived