Bathingsuits please!!

Star1

A taxi from the port to Grand Case looks like it is $25 each way. It is hard to see the little print from the link. Is this price per taxi or for 2 people?? We have 3 people in our group. Is this area about a 40 minute taxi drive there? I understand I need to give myself more time to return to the ship due to traffic. Should 1 1/2 hours be Ok for travel back to ship??

Thanks for your help.

Relax and enjoy.

A taxi from the port to Grand Case looks like it is $25 each way. It is hard to see the little print from the link. Is this price per taxi or for 2 people?? We have 3 people in our group. Is this area about a 40 minute taxi drive there? I understand I need to give myself more time to return to the ship due to traffic. Should 1 1/2 hours be Ok for travel back to ship??

Thanks for your help.

Relax and enjoy.

Since you are only in port from 10-3 and want to rely on taxis for transportation I would not personally recommend going all the way to Grand Case. I suggest that you look at two other Dutch side beaches that are significantly closer to the point. Dawn Bay and Little Bay would be my suggestions. Dawn is a beach on the Atlantic side and it can be a lttle too rough for me at times. Little Bay is usually quite calm. Both beaches have facilities and some snorkeling and you should not see topplessness but that can never be 100% guaranteed. Time wise it will take about 20 minutes to get to Dawn and about 10 to reach Little Bay by taxi. I think for 3 people it would cost $6 each way to Dawn and $4 to Little Bay but you should check the taxi website to verify this.

Thank you for all of the advice. We are in port from 8-6. I must of posted the date we were there. Oct. 3(10-3). We like to snorkle or just play in the water. Orient sounds like the beach most people will travel to. We thought Grand Case might have fewer people. The both sound like wonderful beaches to spend the day. We were also hoping Grand Case would have less people walking around topless. yes we prefer not to see topless women but... I understand this is the way of life there. Do you think Grand Case is a better choice for us??? Is it worth it to spend the extra time and small amount of cash to travel to Grand Case??

Thanks again.

Thank you for all of the advice. We are in port from 8-6. I must of posted the date we were there. Oct. 3(10-3). We like to snorkle or just play in the water. Orient sounds like the beach most people will travel to. We thought Grand Case might have fewer people. The both sound like wonderful beaches to spend the day. We were also hoping Grand Case would have less people walking around topless. yes we prefer not to see topless women but... I understand this is the way of life there. Do you think Grand Case is a better choice for us??? Is it worth it to spend the extra time and small amount of cash to travel to Grand Case??

Thanks again.

Oh, ok if you have a full day you will be able to have a nice long day in Grand Case. I really like it there so I think that it is worth the effort and money. The Grand Case beaches are also on the French side of the island so toplessness is a possibility although I have gone to these beaches many times over the years and have yet to exoerience that. For snorkeling you will be better at Petite Plage in Grand Case and snorkel by he rocks and dock. Grand Case beach itself is not known for snorkeling.

This sounds like a good plan for short stay in St Martin. Do you know if the water is clean for swimming? I am just starting to research and the beaches are all running together. We will be there late Nov into Dec. TIA Grammy

The water there at Orient was crystal clear the day I was there. Counting down the days - 265 till I return.

Sorry to ask another question but..... i read the stores and resturants close down in September at Grand Case. Are they close for the winter or a few weeks???? We will be there the first week of October. I am still planning our day on this Island. Between Orient ( orange Fever)and Petite Plage( Grand Case) area. We will mainly just use the water, maybe get a beer or burger type food. We would like to snorkle so looking at Petite Plage near the dock and rock area. Any more advice would be wonderful.

Thanks

Not all of the shops and restaurants on the French side close down for vacation in the September-October timeframe, and those that do usually do so only for a couple or few weeks. And definitely not all at the same time in a synchronized effort.

I know that we have enjoyed Calmos Cafe in August, September and October.

Sunset Cafe is the only restaurant at the Grand Case Beach Club on Petite Plage so it should remain open. There are so many restaurants In Grand Case that even if 1/2 of them were closed you would still have many, many choices.

• 4 weeks later...

Try Mullet Bay Beach, a lovely little undeveloped beach near the airport Maho on the edge of an old golf course. Not much but white sand calm clear water and not many people, Locals love it. Sometimes a food cart or two. been 3 times and never encountered skin/

So it is almost time to cruise and i still don't know what to do. i am looking at Calmos in grand case for lunch, walking to peite plage area to snorkle. Can this be done???? Or taxi to Mullett Bay to just swim and hang out. Will I be saving much time by going to Mullett Bay.?

Thanks,

So it is almost time to cruise and i still don't know what to do. i am looking at Calmos in grand case for lunch, walking to peite plage area to snorkle. Can this be done???? Or taxi to Mullett Bay to just swim and hang out. Will I be saving much time by going to Mullett Bay.?

Thanks,

As I just posted in the other thread, I discovered that Calmos is closed until October 16th.

When you consider Mullet Bay Beach, note that the only toilet option is a pay Porta-Potty.

Also, there can be some OK snorkeling along the rocks to the left, facing the water.

gary

Archived