New Carnival policy re: rebating and gifts

kicia

I haven't cruised Carnival since way back when, BUT we just booked a cruise for 9-30-2012 and the agent gave us $25 OBC. We did it because it worked with our plan of doing a Interval Exchange following the cruise and the price was right. Does this mean we don't get the OBC now or will they allow it since we booked last month? :confused:

You'll still get it.

Best summary I have read to date. You hit the nail on the proverbial head. Money talks, all else walks. Given the fact that Carnvial have also "reduced" the loyalty benefits, it makes you wonder why you would choose Carnvial over another line, all things being equal.

Just my 2 cents....

I completely agree about the new program. I was at least hoping for some free internet or some of the perks of the cruise lines owned by Carnival Corp.!

Carnival isn't claiming that this is what the TAs wanted. I'm claiming it along with the THOUSANDS of other travel agents who helped me to get Carnival to have this policy. I can tell you that right now on all of the boards that I belong to that probably around 95% of all the TAs are congratulating Carnival for implementing this. Now that one cruise line is down, we'll get to work on the others. Royal Caribbean is the one I really care about and an after. It's been 5 years of phone calls and emails but they'll give in one day!

Not to disclaim what you have posted or are saying but please do not try to speak for ALL Travel Agents. All Travel Agents did not ask for this. If you think Carnival did this to help and protect Travel Agencies...... well maybe you should share what you are drinking or eating or smoking. Carnival did this simply for themselves, they have been trying to cut out the Travel Agent for years. This will be just one more step for many agencies that will no long offer Carnival Cruises to sell.

Carnival is all about onboard revenue and profits. It is a proven fact that those with OBC spend more money per person on average to those that have no OBC.

Carnival sales are a 24 hours boiler room sales operation. Reps at Carnival get paid an hourly pay plus incentives, bonuses and gifts. They do a lot of team competitions and probably get bonuses when they can document they took the sale from a Travel Agent. Unfortunately many are just that Phone Room Sales people that have never stepped foot on a ship and probably never will. Many will sell those 1A cabins to seniors that cannot climb to an upper berth or to newly weds on their honeymoon. Trust me I have heard the horror stories after the fact.

At this point Carnival is only looking out for their bottom line, they do not care about anyone but themselves. The only unknown at this time is will this new venture prove to make them more money by not paying Travel Agents Commission or will it hurt their on board revenue which is what really pays the bills trust me it is not the fare you pay for the cabin. I am sure the pencil pushing accountants have already proven on their spread sheets the money Carnival will save. Carnival is just banking that onboard spending will remain the same.

Carnival isn't claiming that this is what the TAs wanted. I'm claiming it along with the THOUSANDS of other travel agents who helped me to get Carnival to have this policy. I can tell you that right now on all of the boards that I belong to that probably around 95% of all the TAs are congratulating Carnival for implementing this. Now that one cruise line is down, we'll get to work on the others. Royal Caribbean is the one I really care about and an after. It's been 5 years of phone calls and emails but they'll give in one day!

Kind of makes you public enemy number one for those of us who use discounters and rebaters, huh!?

Thanks for letting us know so that folks can book future cruises with OBC before August and still get their nice credits. That was mighty kind of you!

I still am convinced I will find the ones who get around this rule. Believe me, they will be out there, so I'm not too worried. I am not cruise brand loyal anyway so I will cruise. And if I really want to sail Carnival with a good deal, I will book ES with them directly as I DO watch the prices at least weekly (it's a game to me), and am qutie capable of submitting a price reduction form myself.

Best of luck to you. I think you shot lots of TA's (not yourself of course), but lots of agents in the foot.

Money does talk! I lost an Oceania cruise several years ago because the other agency gave up $2000 of their commission. No amount of personal service and hand-holding a client could ever compete with something like that.

Forgive me, but in all your posts, you have not stated why if Acme Travel wants to give up their commision, why cant they? What right do you have to stand in the way of the relationship between me and them?

What if the TA is a millionaire, doesnt need the money, and just likes to sell travel, so they break even to help out customers. That is a stilly example but it makes the point.

What if I am just starting out as a TA and want to build a client base. I have some money from savings, so for my first year while I am new and get my feet wet I am going to give all of my commisions back to my clients for taking a chance on me whileI grow my business. What is wrong with that? What right do you have to tell me not to do that?

It is like the Costco Auto Program...I bought a car from Nissan at dealer invoice, including all holdbacks and perks.He literally made ZERO on the deal, and I dont live in the area so he would never see me for service or parts. I asked my guy why he would do this, he said it helps with volume and getting the best cars. True, he makes nothing on me, but his numbers look good and he gets the pick of cars from Nissan. By your logic, he should be FORCED to make money on every car sale. I dont get that logic. I have no argument against TA's, I am their biggest defender on here, but your logic on this helping TA's escapes me. Yes, it helps you make more money on your booking. Why not just be honest about that?

Why should you tell that Nissan dealer he cannot sell me a car and make no money? Because then you would have to do the same to get my sale? I mean no sarcasm or disrespect, I would like you to answer that question.

All this change will do is a small percentage of the market to buy direct. Those who love TA's will still love TA's, I just think you are not being honest about your motives. You want more commision, that fine. I just have a problem with the rule of (Carnival) law not letting the free market work. Those who rebate too much will starve, those that rebate none but provide excellent service and group bookings with thrive...why do we need a rule to control that?

Not to disclaim what you have posted or are saying but please do not try to speak for ALL Travel Agents. All Travel Agents did not ask for this. If you think Carnival did this to help and protect Travel Agencies...... well maybe you should share what you are drinking or eating or smoking. Carnival did this simply for themselves, they have been trying to cut out the Travel Agent for years. This will be just one more step for many agencies that will no long offer Carnival Cruises to sell.

Carnival is all about onboard revenue and profits. It is a proven fact that those with OBC spend more money per person on average to those that have no OBC.

Carnival sales are a 24 hours boiler room sales operation. Reps at Carnival get paid an hourly pay plus incentives, bonuses and gifts. They do a lot of team competitions and probably get bonuses when they can document they took the sale from a Travel Agent. Unfortunately many are just that Phone Room Sales people that have never stepped foot on a ship and probably never will. Many will sell those 1A cabins to seniors that cannot climb to an upper berth or to newly weds on their honeymoon. Trust me I have heard the horror stories after the fact.

At this point Carnival is only looking out for their bottom line, they do not care about anyone but themselves. The only unknown at this time is will this new venture prove to make them more money by not paying Travel Agents Commission or will it hurt their on board revenue which is what really pays the bills trust me it is not the fare you pay for the cabin. I am sure the pencil pushing accountants have already proven on their spread sheets the money Carnival will save. Carnival is just banking that onboard spending will remain the same.

Exactly right, just like Costco dumped Carnival. No big loss to Costco, they seem to be doing fine. This is about more direct bookings for Carnival, nothing else. Did some TA's want it? Sure. What businessman wouldnt want price fixing?

Question 2: Do you think Carnival will care enough to enforce this policy?

I can answer question number 2 for you...YES they will. They have a whole department that does nothing but check Google ads, On line agencies and their advertising but they definitely will not be enforcing it to protect Travel Agencies :D They want the sale direct to them plain and simple.

And to that TA who's been posting that this is great for TAs - what world do you live in? The only reason many of us use TAs is for the added extras. Eliminate those and why should the average person book thru a TA? Most of us can do a better job planning our own vacations. With no incentive to use a TA, a lot more people will book directly with Carnival - or like me - not book Carnival (never have) and continue to book thru Costco or directly with the cruise line. To think that TAs will benefit doesn't make one bit of sense.

A lot of the stuff being asked now I've addressed in multiple posts already on this thread, including why it helps out your PROFESSIONAL travel agent, not those that got into this business as a hobby or so they could get discounts and FAM trips for themselves and their friends and families.

Everyone is entitled to the own opinions and beliefs and I wish nobody ill will. I'm sure that whatever job or industry you're in if your chosen profession was challenged, you would probably act the same way and want to protect your livelihood.

I'm off this thread unless it's to reply back to twindaddy. I've enjoyed the back and forth and maybe I'll see you on Disney some day!

Here is what I want to know. At this point what is a Travel Agent going to give me support wise.

Honestly I have been researching for years. So I cruise wise I know exactly what I want. But at this point list out what advantages does a good Travel Agent have over Direct Booking.

Hey orangeandblue , I have a story for you.

A few years ago the main supermarkets around me started to charge for plastic bags . It was done, they said to save the environment.

In fact they had some guy from some environmental group on TV basically claiming he and his save the world's had

pushed the supermarkets into doing this. Hmmm... Let see, these stores are now saving multiple thousands not giving away bags.

In fact they are so concerned about the earth they now charge 5 cents a bag.

Somehow I think that if this wasn't saving them money, we would still have bags

Carnival made this change for $$$'s. You are, in this story ,the guy from the environmental group. You and the other TA agencies would have

as much influence as him if the change wasn't in Carnivals financial interest. End of story.;)

Archived