Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

Hello everyone! I'm so excited that I found this thread! I am a sewing addict and DH and I will be taking our first cruise this November so it's the perfect excuse for me to sew lots of pretty things.

Oh! And let me just tell you how jealous I am of some of your machines. I have ambitions to own a Babylock someday but that is a long way off. I have a Singer Confidence sewing machine which I love. I have a Brother serger. I forget the model number but it is a pretty basic 3 or 4 thread overlocker. The serger is what I am most eager to upgrade (though the idea of a knee lift sewing machine has its appeal...)

Anyway, I bought a TON of fabric at Hancock since they are closing. I'm so upset about the closure. Their prices were so much better than JoAnn's and they are significantly closer (tiny fabric shop 2 minutes away, Hancock 30 minutes away, JoAnn's an hour away). Hopefully you all can help me figure out what I'm going to make with some of it

First Up:

2urm5pf.jpg

These two quilting cottons will become the quilted bag from THIS craftsy class. I've started quilting the fabric but I still need to track down the necessary hardware. Not pictures is the lining fabric which is white with gray anchors.

Second Up:

2agotnc.jpg

Navy Blue Lace. This one is up for serious debate. I need to look at the receipt and figure out how much yardage I bought. I'm thinking my formal might come out of this one though it isn't the most "forma" kind of lace.

Third Up:

2eap3zc.jpg

Beautimous and very soft jersey knit. I think cotton? What ever it becomes needs to also be wearable for work (I'm a teacher). Suggestions?

Fourth Up:

53agcz.jpg

Coral knit fabric. Definitely poly or some other synthetic fabric. I bought a TON because I have ambitions to piece a maxi length circle skirt. I was originally going to do a very basic bodice but I'm considering "upgrading" the top so that it could be jazzed up as a formal. Thoughts?

Fifth Up:

65crns.jpg

POLKA DOTS!!!!!!!! ...sorry. I got a little excited there. I love polka dots. This is another knit but it has a texture to it. Whatever it becomes, it will have to be versatile because I LOVE POLKA DOTS!!!!

Sixth Up (Geeze did I buy a lot of fabric...):

ouphck.jpg

Black pinstripe suiting. These will be pants. I'm doing a sloper class through burdastyle academy so I will be making myself a custom fit pair of dress pants (YES! Pants that will accommodate my huge butt without gapping).

And drat the six picture limit! I'll post the rest in a minute.

Seventh Up (I bet you're wondering if this post will ever end):

2qukj6q.jpg

Flannel. DH and I are Doctor Who fans. These will become pajama pants for DH.

Eighth Up (you couldn't possible have thought I was done yet):

2d26kb4.jpg

Scuba knit. I did not realize one side has a leopard pattern before I purchased it. I'm debating between a sheath dress and a reversible pencil skirt.

Ninth Up (when will it end? Who knows!):

2ia4y2x.jpg

*Gollum voice* MY PRECIOUSSSS!!! *clears throat* Ahem. Yes. 1.5 yard-ish cut of a home dec fabric that I am in love with. I almost think it's subrella. Of course it's a hancocks exclusive and they only have a remnant so I can't buy a whole bolt to recover my future outdoor furniture...

Tenth (and Last!) Up!

1z1sehk.jpg

Green Swiss Dot. This will become THIS flowy top.

...Maybe I should go through the literal pile of patterns I already own before making any final decisions on it all...

Got bored today so I decided to get some of my material out and make a skirt. I have a red k it blouse that has gotten too short so I made the skirt to go over it.bi have a nice black elastic belt to go with them.

Hopefully the pictures worked on here

Have a great evening

Gerry

Your skirt looks great. I think I have the same fabric in my stash!

Hi loudsilence99,

Welcome to the sewing thread. I love polka dots too! Maybe this below. Or a pair of wide leg pants, with a red top?

https://butterick.mccall.com/b6359

ooh I like that one! and pants with a red top would also be adorable! I have a pair of red kitten heels lying around some where...

I have some surprisingly good patterns in my stash, including several that are in contention for the top of the coral knit.

I have:

McCall's M6513

Butterick 5030

Simplicity 2180

Simplicity 2369

There are others (Including a gorgeous McCall's sundress pattern M6504) but those are all for woven fabrics and I have knits.

Hi every one,

How are all your sewing projects going? I am all most done with mine. My DH just realized how long it takes me to make a garment. Today he says to me "I thought you were done". Answer "no, it take time to sew". Now if I had a maid I could sew all day.

Sewing patterns are on sale this week at Joanns.

July 14-17, McCalls for $1.99 and Vogue for $4.99

July 22 to the 24, Simplicity for $1.99

July 28 to 31 Butterick $1.99 and Kwik Sew $3.99

Still plodding away on my scrub top.... I should get it finished this weekend (work gets in the way [emoji41]) and perhaps I can figure out what I am doing wrong with the glovettes pattern from 'Green Pepper' , almost finished them 3 yrs ago but ran into a sewing issue and put them away.

The 500 or so pieces for my weekender bag are cut out and the straps are all done (yay!) That much down... 499 things to do

500 or so pieces, that is a lot of sewing.

redlady62,

There is all ways another day. I have to recover a cushion this week. I hate doing that sort of sewing. But will get it out of the way. Don't like it hanging over my head.

500 pieces is a bit of an exaggeration but the bag is almost done! I need to sew the back on, bind the raw edges, and find a bottom stabilizer and then it is done! Well... I also need to somehow get rid of all the chalk and disappearing ink marker I used on this.

500 pieces is a bit of an exaggeration but the bag is almost done! I need to sew the back on, bind the raw edges, and find a bottom stabilizer and then it is done! Well... I also need to somehow get rid of all the chalk and disappearing ink marker I used on this.

Pictures Please!

I have been sewing odd and end stuff. A long Dress bag for my formals, A jewelry bag, a sewing kit, and a first aid kit for our cruises. I cant remember how to down load the pics so I will try again tomorrow .

Have a great evening,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Pictures Please!

I have been sewing odd and end stuff. A long Dress bag for my formals, A jewelry bag, a sewing kit, and a first aid kit for our cruises. I cant remember how to down load the pics so I will try again tomorrow .

Have a great evening,

Gerry

Ask and ye shall receive... I pooped out last night right before I sewed on the final binding. It sounds like such an easy thing but this involves wrestling. Even with a walking foot, with so many layers of fabric and batting, this thing does NOT like to feed easily through the machine. I still need to find a piece of plastic/wood/something to stabilize the bottom of the bad but it holds its shape surprisingly well.

This was done with a Craftsy class which was cool and I enjoyed BUT there were times it felt like a plug for products from the instructor's website (byannie.com). Not wanting to put $80+ into a handmade bag (If I wanted to spend that much, I would have bought a Vera Bradley), I improvised some of the materials (two layers of interfacing + batting in lieu of "soft and stable," sport zippers in lieu of handbag zippers, etc).

Funny story. I could NOT get the chalk lines off the navy fabric so I decided to wash the bag. I failed to account for the fact that I prewashed everything... except the cotton webbing inside the straps. Pressing helped the strap covers be a little less lumpy but they aren't perfect. :( Next time, I will locate the ideal 1.5" wide poly strapping instead of being creative with the 1" readily available cotton. Oh! And half the chalk lines STILL didn't come out.

Sorry the pictures are sideways! They displayed correctly on my computer but rotated when I uploaded them which I do not know how to fix!

Inside out Mesh zip pocket:

359fql0.jpg

Inside out three mesh pockets:

j77x9e.jpg

Right side out, front:

6zn61y.jpg

Right side out, back. The Horizontal strap is designed to slip over the handles of rolling luggage to keep the bag on top. I thought that was really smart!:

rtj4ok.jpg

Completed bag with carrying strap:

6pougm.jpg

So on Tuesday whilst doing some mending for a friend, My serger decided to kick it. One of the loopers will NOT stay threaded (grrr...). I think it is just dirty to be honest (the fuzz that came out of that thing when I went to rethread!) but I took it to the local sewing shop for a tune-up. I am fairly comfortable cleaning out my sewing machine but the serger has a lot more moving parts that I am afraid to mess up. Considering all my upcoming projects involves either knits or a looser weave fabric that will need the edges sealed, I am on hold until I get it back.

I did accomplish one (extremely) minor sewing project today. We have standard sized pillows but the shams that came with our duvet cover are king sized. For two years, I have been mildly annoyed that the shams were too large. Then today, it occurred to me that I could easily resize them with a single seam. It took five minutes.

The bag will be getting a workout this weekend (I was pushing to finish it in time). DH and I are spending the weekend with MIL at a Blueberry Festival. I am bring the swiss dot fabric and the tunic pattern along with us and will cut that out at her house. Pattern cutting is my LEAST favorite part of sewing so I might as well get it out of the way...

It sounds like all of you are busy with sewing projects.

I was going to go to Joann's this morning but time ran out after the gym.

I do plan to make McCalls 3171 soon. I had fabric that I thought I would use. But it takes a lot of fabric and the fabric weight was heavy. I don't like to pack heavy clothes for our cruises. So, now I want a lighter fabric. I saw these made on Patter Review by justvonne. http://sewing.patternreview.com/review/pattern/114901

She did a great job. So, I want to make a pair.

loudsilence99,

The bag is great. You are using up your fabric !

Love the bag. It really does remind me of my Vera bag. Just wish it had the luggage strap. I bought the diaper bag that can be a back pack or tote. Is plastic lined so swimsuits after beach aren't a problem. You did good and love the material.

Pictures Please!

Have a great evening,

Gerry

Hi, what kind of jewelry bag did you make? I want to make one with plastic inserts to hold my cruise/trip jewelry. I am tired of the knots in the long necklaces and trying to match stuff up on the ship. It's just silly to take that time to sort jewelry! Anyway, my drawstring bag doesn't work and my old jewelry roll up I bought doesn't have large enough pockets. So I am looking for a project.

loudsience99 - I don't blame you. $80 in materials for a handmade bag - that's a little steep for me. Your bag looks awesome and very professionally made.

Edited by tbbtravels

Hi, what kind of jewelry bag did you make? I want to make one with plastic inserts to hold my cruise/trip jewelry. I am tired of the knots in the long necklaces and trying to match stuff up on the ship. It's just silly to take that time to sort jewelry! Anyway, my drawstring bag doesn't work and my old jewelry roll up I bought doesn't have large enough pockets. So I am looking for a project.

loudsience99 - I don't blame you. $80 in materials for a handmade bag - that's a little steep for me. Your bag looks awesome and very professionally made.

Would something like this work?

http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewing/accessory/gogo-bag---folding-toiletries-travel-bag/42378?_ct=rbew&_ctp=50554

or

http://www.patternpile.com/sewing-patterns/travel-jewelry-case-sewing-pattern-and-tutorial-pdf-by-positively-splendid/

http://mellysews.com/2014/02/travel-jewelry-bag-pattern-tutorial.html

http://www.joann.com/blog-Hanging-Jewelry-Organizer-Tutorial.html

Thanks Geo. That's what I am hunting. Something that I can see what's in each slot and still have it organized and not jumbled. I like mellysews a bunch. Want to keep it smaller and only have maybe 7 nights and 5 days of jewelry sets in it. I think that one will be perfect! Woohoo. Thanks again!

Good morning ladies #newbie here [emoji114]🏽

But when I saw sewing....I'm all in. LOL. I sew about 90% of my clothes.

I just booked my birthday cruise for Oct 2017 so I'm already planning out my vacation outfits.

[emoji92][emoji484][emoji512][emoji92] PLANNING 2017 Norwegian Escape | Western Carribean ~ Birthday Celebration Cruise [emoji92][emoji512][emoji484][emoji92]

[emoji92][emoji267][emoji92]* SAILED Sept 2012 Norwegian Pride of America ~ HAWAII *[emoji92][emoji267][emoji92]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry I just saw this. I saw the one I made in Pinterest and altered it to fit what I wanted. I am sorry but I can't seem to download any pictures of it. I made it the same size as the one on Pinterest but instead of 2 big heavy vynal pockets I used qt. and snack sized heavy duty zip locs and sewed them in the center leaving a 1/2 inch space between the two stacks. You do have to sew each bag separate to get them to stay right. That way you have the openings of the bags facing the opening of the cover.

This might give you a little better idea. You just don't nee the handles unless you plan to hang the bag in the closet or bathroom.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53691420535750566

Here is another one made with a potholder and snake bags.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/53691420535760127

I will put my necklaces in a bendable straw and place them in the ziplocs. I have a bag for each days jewelry.

Hope this helps,

Gerry

Edited by TNGALOHA

Good morning ladies #newbie here [emoji114]🏽

But when I saw sewing....I'm all in. LOL. I sew about 90% of my clothes.

I just booked my birthday cruise for Oct 2017 so I'm already planning out my vacation outfits.

[emoji92][emoji484][emoji512][emoji92] PLANNING 2017 Norwegian Escape | Western Carribean ~ Birthday Celebration Cruise [emoji92][emoji512][emoji484][emoji92]

[emoji92][emoji267][emoji92]* SAILED Sept 2012 Norwegian Pride of America ~ HAWAII *[emoji92][emoji267][emoji92]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Welcome to the thread.

What type of clothing do you sew? I sounds like you make most of your clothing, I wish I could do that. I just made a Kimono top, that come down to about 5 inches from my knees to wear with pants for formal night. I have to start posting pictures again.

This is totally off topic, forgive me. Not a usually much of a poster. I don't sew clothes now. Repairs and small projects mostly. My machine is far from New. I've never had it serviced. I live in a small town. I went from a stretch stitch back to straight and now nothing sews, just a tangle of thread getting caught in the bobbin. I'm assuming if I can get to a fabric store, they'll service my machine. Any other suggestions?

Usually things tangle on the opposite side of the problem. Sounds like you have a tensioning issue and/or proper threading. Brush out your thread path from spool to needle, use unflavored dental floss around the tension discs, and rewind a new bobbin to be sure it is evenly done. Might want to brush out the bobbin area too but I suspect the issue is in your tension disc threading with the thread not properly engaged. Good luck.

Usually things tangle on the opposite side of the problem. Sounds like you have a tensioning issue and/or proper threading. Brush out your thread path from spool to needle, use unflavored dental floss around the tension discs, and rewind a new bobbin to be sure it is evenly done. Might want to brush out the bobbin area too but I suspect the issue is in your tension disc threading with the thread not properly engaged. Good luck.

After reading your post, I am going to clean out the bobbin area. I do it after each project. but forgot to do it last time.