Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

• 3 weeks later...

How is every one doing on their sewing projects? I have started a pair of wide leg pants for our next cruise. Need to find the time to get them done. My sewing machine started to give me a little trouble, so back to the store it went, to be sent out. So, I took out my old Designer 1 and set it up. Yesterday, I got back my machine from the Viking store and now have to switch the machines again.

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back from the store and the sale girl was wearing a skirt made of men's neck ties that she made. She had a great color combo on black and grey. So, I did a search on it and found it. I don't know if I would ever make one. But I love the idea.

• 2 months later...

Not really doing any sewing for a cruise yet but am trying to trim my fabric stash by sewing infinity scarves and selling them at a craft market for the next five out of six weekends. Next Saturday is the first time.

With two metres of material can make two scarves. Serge them and a little hand sewing and they are ready.

That way I can cruise more.

Not really doing any sewing for a cruise yet but am trying to trim my fabric stash by sewing infinity scarves and selling them at a craft market for the next five out of six weekends. Next Saturday is the first time.

With two metres of material can make two scarves. Serge them and a little hand sewing and they are ready.

That way I can cruise more.

They sound really nice. I know that they will sell well. I just did two pairs of pants. They came out nice.

I hope in a few weeks to take pictures of them and post it here. But it will be a while before I get around to that.

• 3 months later...

Hey all! I know I disappeared for a while (and this thread hasn't been active since November but I'm resurrecting it). To make a long story very short, my husband lost his job so the November cruise we planned to take didn't happen. (He has since been hired into a new position but it was quite stressful there for a while).

Our next already booked cruise is scheduled for... August 2018 to celebrate my grad school graduation (:( for cruise forever away and :D that I will FINALLY be done my Masters) but I'm hoping we will be able to sneak something in this Spring/Summer/Christmas 2017.

Sewing wise... I've made two dresses from my stash thus far and I made my own pattern for them so that was exciting. I have cut out the pieces for the swiss dot MONTHS ago... and have yet to sew it (whoops). In the mean time, I've also made two dozen elf costumes for a middle school play.

Is it sad that a year and a half out, I'm already making my cruise packing list?

It's never too early to make cruise clothes. Lately I have been making leggings and biker shorts for rowing. I finally got fed up with all the tall active wear being black or gray. Now I have fun stuff to row in. I also made my first tank top and it came out ok. I will be adjusting the pattern by raising the neck line. It's a little to flowy below my waist, so I will adjust the pattern there too. Once that is done I will make a few for the cruise in April. :)

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ladies,

First a little about me and sorry about the long post. I don't know a lot about sewing, but I want to start learning more and to learn about my new machine. I bought my second sewing machine ever about 2 years ago. The first one I had my mom bought me while I was in collage since she got tired of me always borrowing hers. I mostly did small stuff and Halloween costumes. It was a Dressmaker which is still sitting in a closet. I did make a really nice long dress about 20 years ago. :D It fitted great and looked really nice, at least on the outside. The inside not so much. It was a black mermaid style with gold lamé for the skirt part. I loved that dress.

I didn't read thru the entire thread since it's so long so I only read the last 4 pages. Everyone seems to make nice stuff and to be very good at it. I am not much of a sewer, but I would like to do a lot more. I want to try to make some formal gowns. I know a lot of people don't like formal nights, but I love to dress up. Seems like the gowns I really like are about $200.00 and up and that's usually when they are on sale. :( I was wanting to make one before our next cruise, but I don't have the time since it is only a month away.

There are some great fabric stores down in Miami that have fabulous fabrics. Some aren't very cheap, but they are beautiful. I need to start practicing before I attempt to take on such a project, plus I want it to look good on the inside also.

Also, some of you mentioned a serger. If you don’t have a serger, what qualities (things) would your sewing machine need to do or have?

Are there any good sewing forums that I can read? I know I signed up on 1 or 2 after I got my machine, but I don't recall which ones they were. I will have to figure it out. That is when I was trying to learn some about machines before I bought one and I was still thoroughly confused. I do need to go back to Joann's and go thru some of the classes for my machine. I only went to 1 of them. I was hoping to get right into sewing after I bought it, but mostly just did some small embroidery stuff.

Renee

Hi Renee,

If you are on Facebook, I definitely recommend joining some of the sewing group pages. I love Patterns for Pirates and Made for Mermaids. Silly names, but awesome groups with great patterns to purchase on their websites (print at home). I am a newer pattern sewer. I started off refashioning thrift store finds and now I am customizing my patterns and sewing all of my athletic wear. I am slowly beginning to do resort wear, but nothing close to formal gowns.

Besides Facebook groups, YouTube is a great resource for sewing. That is where I learned all about the twin needle. I have a BabyLock Imagine Serger and a Husqvarna Emerald 116. My Husqvarna is a very basic sewing machine, but it is a work horse. Hopefully the ladies that don't have a serger can give you some guidance.

Lisa

I would love to know if any one else here sews clothes for their cruise vacation. I like to sew and try to make something new for each cruise. If you do sew, what patterns do you use? Are they for pants, skirts, dresses? What do you make? What kind of fabric do you use?

for what it cost to buy the fabric, my time to and from the fabric shop (and I don't mean joanns) and the time to cut and prep, its cheaper for me to purchase a sundress.

for what it cost to buy the fabric, my time to and from the fabric shop (and I don't mean joanns) and the time to cut and prep, its cheaper for me to purchase a sundress.

I agree, it is cheaper to by ready made. Years ago my mom would sew her dresses to save money. Not any more. I sew for fun and I like to wear my clothes. By sewing them, I have never ran across any one else wearing the same outfit.

I also agree for everyday clothing. I am talking about the really expensive gorgeous gowns that are lots of $$$$. I didn't just buy the sewing machine to save on clothing, but it will be nice to save money and to have fun doing it. I also can get an idea of something that I would like and then I look and look for something like it and I can't find it. I have spent so many hours looking for that image and color for it that it would probably be faster for me to just make it.

Hi Renee,

If you are on Facebook, I definitely recommend joining some of the sewing group pages. I love Patterns for Pirates and Made for Mermaids. Silly names, but awesome groups with great patterns to purchase on their websites (print at home). I am a newer pattern sewer. I started off refashioning thrift store finds and now I am customizing my patterns and sewing all of my athletic wear. I am slowly beginning to do resort wear, but nothing close to formal gowns.

Besides Facebook groups, YouTube is a great resource for sewing. That is where I learned all about the twin needle. I have a BabyLock Imagine Serger and a Husqvarna Emerald 116. My Husqvarna is a very basic sewing machine, but it is a work horse. Hopefully the ladies that don't have a serger can give you some guidance.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info about Facebook. I really don't do much on there, but I will look into it. Where in Texas do you live? I was born & raised in Corpus.

Renee

Hi everyone. Do you find when you are shopping RTW that you are looking at seam finishing, matching of stripes (plaids) and all the fine details in constructing an outfit. Sometimes I leave the outfit on the rack because of the quality (or lack there of) in the details of the construction?

Have a great week,

Sue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the info about Facebook. I really don't do much on there, but I will look into it. Where in Texas do you live? I was born & raised in Corpus.

Renee

I lived in Dallas for 25 years. I moved to Tennessee 10 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just finished up my first athletic skort (skirt with biker short built in). The charcoal gray is an eyelet knit that I fell in love with at JoAnn's.3d4378465619c29c4bec5d603161dfc6.jpg

1ed0af321ef3e5ed563891c24483cb6f.jpg

I think it came out pretty good. This was also the first time that I mashed two patterns together. I have gone back and tweaked the skirt pattern

Lisa

Just finished up my first athletic skort (skirt with biker short built in). The charcoal gray is an eyelet knit that I fell in love with at JoAnn's.3d4378465619c29c4bec5d603161dfc6.jpg

1ed0af321ef3e5ed563891c24483cb6f.jpg

I think it came out pretty good. This was also the first time that I mashed two patterns together. I have gone back and tweaked the skirt pattern

Lisa

They can out great. I love the color. did you use your serger on them?

Di you use a stretch fabric? If so, how was the serging on it. I have never serged a stretch fabric.

They both are stretch fabrics. The trick is to use stretch needles or ball point needles with your serger or regular sewing machine to sew the knits. As long as you have the right needle that comes out perfect.

Are there any good sewing forums that I can read? I know I signed up on 1 or 2 after I got my machine, but I don't recall which ones they were. I will have to figure it out. That is when I was trying to learn some about machines before I bought one and I was still thoroughly confused. I do need to go back to Joann's and go thru some of the classes for my machine. I only went to 1 of them. I was hoping to get right into sewing after I bought it, but mostly just did some small embroidery stuff.

Renee

Hi Renee,

Check out patternreview.com. Loads of great sewing information and the people who post on the forums are very generous with sewing advice. There are also plenty of blogs and videos out there. Just search on whatever you're particularly interested in.