The Haven question

gobo

We are considering booking the Haven suite for its bigger size since we are traveling with 3 children (6, 4 and 2). I was wondering about the reality of the Haven "perks" with children along (specifically the private villa area with the pool). My concern is this area would mainly be filled with honeymooners looking to get away from children:) Has anyone gotten one of these rooms with children & how child friendly was it?

Thanks

Will you be sending them to the kid's club? Sounds like the Haven "away time" for mom and dad would be perfect.

Second bedroom for kiddos perfect. Butler will bring them snacks and DVDs.

Yes! Do it. Let the perks enhance your vacation. With 3 little ones it would help you relax.

not sure which ship. I sailed the Haven on Epic with my family (kids were 12 & 5). We loved being able to eat in the Courtyard Grill and the Epic Club - both family friendly. In fact our favorite server Gabriela was SO amazing with our little one. The pool area was not overrun with either "kind" - there were a few families, a few couples, a few adult families - a whole mix. I made sure that if there were people who wanted to go int he hot tub that my kids got out - or went in the empty one. Same with the pool. We played and splashed but when other adults got in, I had them tone it down so everyone could enjoy. But in most cases, it was just fine.

Posh is an area that is adults only so we went there when the kids did the kids club.

The butler was very attentive to our kids - he was great.

If I could afford it, I'd always sail in the Haven! We booked our next Haven for February but booked 2 years in advance so we could save for it - the pampering is just wonderful.

On the Jewel class (includes GEM), the pool is very small and not what little ones would normally enjoy. The Haven on those ships is usually calm and quiet. Kids would be bored.

The 2 BR cabin on the other hand is great. They have a little room to themselves - sort of like camping. There is also the living/dining area as well.

If your children tend to be calm while eating, then Cagneys for breakfast and lunch would be great. If you are constantly "dealing" with your kids, well....

[quote name='gobo']We are considering booking the Haven suite for its bigger size since we are traveling with 3 children (6, 4 and 2). I was wondering about the reality of the Haven "perks" with children along (specifically the private villa area with the pool). My concern is this area would mainly be filled with honeymooners looking to get away from children:) Has anyone gotten one of these rooms with children & how child friendly was it?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Hmmm interesting how we think. I actually think the opposite and I dont have kids. The Haven is the perfect place for kids esp on Epic. Those 2 bedroom villas are full of families and kids. When I sailed Epic, the teenagers and kids took over the pool in the courtyard. We did not care since we stayed in Posh.

[quote name='candydane']What is "Posh"? Is there one on the Jewel?[/QUOTE]

No, Posh is only on the Epic. It's an adult only area for suite guests and a small number of people who buy passes for the week.

We only cruise the 2 bedroom Haven on the Jewel class ships, no kids just the 2 of us. I don't think I have ever seen a honeymoon couple and it is a perfect place for kids. We have always had very well behaved well mannered children in the haven with us and no complaints at all. The younger kids seem to love it there, and you can still go the the regular pool, it is just a great option for some more private time with your kids.

[quote name='mommyto2girls']We only cruise the 2 bedroom Haven on the Jewel class ships, no kids just the 2 of us. I don't think I have ever seen a honeymoon couple and it is a perfect place for kids. We have always had very well behaved well mannered children in the haven with us and no complaints at all. The younger kids seem to love it there, and you can still go the the regular pool, it is just a great option for some more private time with your kids.[/quote]

I'm just interested to know how you recognize a honeymoon couple? Do you mean that you haven't seen any couples without children in the Haven, or how do you recognize them? (Some honeymoon couples may also bring their children!)

Not for nothing, but we will be in the Haven aboard the Jewel in October for our honeymoon...We can't wait! ;)

Edited to add:

I don't think sharing the Haven courtyard with families would annoy us, unless the kids are unusually rowdy and their parents do nothing to try and stop them. I think this is what upsets most cruisers about kids misbehavior...That they act up with mom and dad not giving a hoot...People tend to forget that this isn't just a vacation for their families, but for everyone else as well...

[quote name='sverigecruiser']I'm just interested to know how you recognize a honeymoon couple? Do you mean that you haven't seen any couples without children in the Haven, or how do you recognize them? (Some honeymoon couples may also bring their children!)[/QUOTE]
I would not recognize them but with so few people in the Haven by the 2nd day everyone knows everyone. I did not say I was guessing. If you have cruised a Jewel class Haven you would realize what I am talking about. 10 rooms plus the Garden Villas and a few OS folk who come up there now and then it is ver simple to get to know everyone in a short time. I am sure this is not true of the Epic, but that is why I like the Jewel class. Small and intimate.

CTCuiser001 Congrats and enjoy your cruise.

We'll be in a Haven Owner's Suite on the Jewel.

Can we get to The Haven from the front and middle elevators or only stairs?

I've been in a Villa on the Star (no Haven) and I think the only access was the middle elevator.

Thanks.

[quote name='gobo']We are considering booking the Haven suite for its bigger size since we are traveling with 3 children (6, 4 and 2). I was wondering about the reality of the Haven "perks" with children along (specifically the private villa area with the pool). My concern is this area would mainly be filled with honeymooners looking to get away from children:) Has anyone gotten one of these rooms with children & how child friendly was it?

Thanks[/quote]

It depends on the ship. On the Pearl, which we have sailed twice in the Haven, we have seen times when there are no kids and it is very peaceful and enjoyable. We have also seen times when the parents are lounging and letting the kids have complete run of the Haven; jumping and splashing in the pool (not a very big pool), hottub, running amongst all the chairs and tables and loungers, and grabbing any food that gets set out for everyone. Kept the Haven-keepers on their toes. Some other guests left, pretty upset that the parents weren't doing anything to rein in their kids and were instead talking about how nice it was having their own private play area.

The Haven suites are great. The perks that come with them are wonderful. My advice is, yes, take your kids to the Haven, but also be respectful of all the other guests in there.

BTW? Depending on the itinerary, Alaska or Bermuda, the Haven can and does get a bit warm in there, so be careful.

Have a great time!

[quote name='mommyto2girls']I would not recognize them but with so few people in the Haven by the 2nd day everyone knows everyone. I did not say I was guessing. If you have cruised a Jewel class Haven you would realize what I am talking about. 10 rooms plus the Garden Villas and a few OS folk who come up there now and then it is ver simple to get to know everyone in a short time. I am sure this is not true of the Epic, but that is why I like the Jewel class. Small and intimate.

CTCuiser001 Congrats and enjoy your cruise.[/quote]

Then I understand. You wrote "seen" and for me that doesn't mean what you now explained. (I guess that the reason for that is that my english isn't very good!)

[quote name='sverigecruiser']Then I understand. You wrote "seen" and for me that doesn't mean what you now explained. (I guess that the reason for that is that my english isn't very good!)[/QUOTE]

Your English is better than most :) I should have explained it right to begin with.

[quote name='candydane']We'll be in a Haven Owner's Suite on the Jewel.

Can we get to The Haven from the front and middle elevators or only stairs?

I've been in a Villa on the Star (no Haven) and I think the only access was the middle elevator.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Midship elevator or stairwell access only (with keycard) on the Jewel.

[quote name='david_sobe']Hmmm interesting how we think. I actually think the opposite and I dont have kids. The Haven is the perfect place for kids esp on Epic. Those 2 bedroom villas are full of families and kids. When I sailed Epic, the teenagers and kids took over the pool in the courtyard. We did not care since we stayed in Posh.[/quote]

The Haven on Epic is vastly different from the Havens on the Jewel-class ships. The Jewel-class Havens are smaller with tiny pools that have the endless swim option. The Havens there are usually, but not always, quieter and have been designed with the intimate "ship-within-a-ship" feel.

beachchick

Archived