Formal Night-Men-Princess-Alaska

oratheeexplorer

For anyone who has been to Alaska this season, on formal nights, were there a lot of men dressed in tuxes or sport coats? My husband wore a sport coat on our Caribbean cruises, but I am wondering if he can get by with just a dress shirt and black dress pants for Alaska. So many other kinds of clothes to pack, not having to take the sport coat would be great! I have read that Alaska is more casual.

We're also hoping for DH to be able to avoid packing a Sport Coat and wear just a nice sweater with white shirt, tie and dress black pants. We've got to reduce bulk in the luggage, and I DO want to save room as I restock tee shirts and flannel. Hopefully, he will be presentable and I can deflect comments by looking great in a sparkly top and simple black pants. :D

I've seen pics posted from different reviews & most of the time the men were wearing dress shirts & pants, with ties. From all I've read, this will get you in the dining room. The purists will repeat the dress code & then say "you can probably get away with it, Alaska is more laid back". As long as you never show up in the dining room in shorts & t-shirts, & do formal night dressier then jeans, you should avoid the hairy eyeball from everyone.

There are many suits and sport coats and some tuxes. My sons wore tuxes last year because they already own them due to band and they sure looked sharp! You can certainly "get away" with only dress slacks, shirt and tie, but you might feel underdressed. We once had a guy in Dockers and a polo shirt at our table. He "got away" with it and they let him into the dining room, but he really looked out of place since every other man at the table was wearing a suit. His wife was similarly underdressed (can't recall exactly, but I'm thinking it was along the lines of a "dressy" sweat suit) and she looked out of place also.

So, you can skip the suit/sports jacket, but it's more a matter of whether YOU will feel uncomfortable or underdressed if others are dressed more formally.

Women can get away with just about anything, as long as it's "dressy". I plan on just a flowy black skirt and two different sparkly tops. It's so much easier for women!

I thought I had read on here that people noticed less tuxes and suits in Alaska. Lots of comments about it being less formal and more casual. I will post this on the Princess board. We are not out to impress anyone, so not really concerned about getting any looks from anyone for sure.

There will be tuxes, there will be suits, and there will those with just a dress shirt and tie, comes down to your personal choice IMHO.

Regradless of what you choose you shouldn't be denied dining nor feel too out of place.

For anyone who has been to Alaska this season, on formal nights, were there a lot of men dressed in tuxes or sport coats? My husband wore a sport coat on our Caribbean cruises, but I am wondering if he can get by with just a dress shirt and black dress pants for Alaska. So many other kinds of clothes to pack, not having to take the sport coat would be great! I have read that Alaska is more casual.

There were tuxes, suits, shirts+ties, and some guys in fabulous Eddie Bauer plaid shirts seated at a large group table with their ladies in formals who were having a marvelous time. It really does come down to personal choice. DH will be leaving his jacket at home for future cruises as it always ends up taken off the moment we sit down!

I recall only one tux. My husband had a suit on. Saw lots of those. The teenagers were mostly in dress shirts and ties (they looked very nice). You would probably fine with that.

Believe me on regular nights they were letting anything in. My big pet peeve of the trip.

Archived