Children can have a good time in Dublin, too!

spongerob

I was sorting through the various ship's tours for the British Isles cruises and noted that the tour of St. James Brewery (Guinness and Harp) in Dublin has prices for children listed. No wonder everyone in Ireland is happy, young and old. I wonder, do they limit the half-pints to just half a pint? :)

Hmmmm. I guess it would be no different for example that they let kids tour wineries such as in Napa. You can tour the winery but just not have a sample at the end of the tour.;) Interesting post.

Marilyn

For many reasons, that is a great thing to do :)

It's a self guided tour and the 306 degree view bar at the top gives spectular views on a clear day.

OH and they pull an excellent pint as well :)

mary beth

(it DOES taste different over there!)

Hey Rob,

Not sure if I should let Tommy see that or not!!;) Larry has already warned me that one sip of guiness is going to put me under the table. The tour sounds really interesting.

Linda

Something else interesting about this tour - it's first thing in the morning! What a way to start the day!

When I toured the Tequilla factories in Puerto Vallarta, we were doing shots of tequilla at 10am! It was great fun!

Although I don't recall seeing any children with tequilla!! :D

I took my 16 year old to Dublin last year - he had a couple sips of Guinness, but one night, a whole shandy to himself. A huge thrill for him - I was more interested in the musicians playing in a circle by the door!

We enjoyed Dublin very much.

I went to Ireland in high school. Wasn't 18 yet. We were told by the locals that if you could see over the bar, they'd serve you. I didn't get a chance to imbibe, but quite a few others who went did. And many were younger than me too. I'm pretty sure they're not too strict on age limits for drinking over there.

When I toured the Tequilla factories in Puerto Vallarta, we were doing shots of tequilla at 10am! It was great fun!

Although I don't recall seeing any children with tequilla!! :D

When we did the Tequila Factory excursion in Puerto Vallarta, there was a 13 year-old on our tour...and they were pouring him those tequila samples along with everyone else!!!

We did another tour in PV once with our daughters when they were about 13 and 15...and every time we turned around, they were holding another glass of Cerveza or another shot of Tequila...

"Legal Drinking Age" is not a concept familiar to Mexico...If you're tall enough to reach the bar, they'll serve you...if not, someone will have to bring it to you...

For Dublin, we're not bringing the kids...of course, now they can drink on their own (the 21 year old is "legal" everywhere, the 19 year old seems to be legal in most of Europe...and aboard most cruise lines!!)...

But, Irishmen learn to drink early, so I wouldn't be shocked to see underaged kids bellied up to the bar at Guiness...

Actually, Ian and Nigel (the two Irish gents we met at O'Donohue's where my son had the shandy) said that they have cracked down on that in pubs in Ireland (this was also about the time they outlawed smoking in Irish pubs, too), and that my son should be a little cagey about drinking the beer and lemonade mix. So it's not quite like Mexico! And I know in England there are certain kinds of pub licenses where children aren't allowed at all.

• 7 months later...

Archived