Mont Bay

pinkmaija

Not getting a lot of responses in the Port of Call boards....

Suggestions on Private Tour Companies in Montego Bay, Jamaica? The Carnival sponsored excursions don't seem to include much, if any, snorkeling. That's what we want to do.

Thanks in advance! :D

Beautiful pictures, thanks!

Anyone else have suggestions?? Thanks!!! :D

By the advice of our TA, we used http://www.Shoretrips.com for our cruise last October but only in Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

We had wonderful experiences with their vendors in Grand Cayman and Cozumel though (way better than Carnival in Mo Bay.) We were actually the only couple on the Seqway Tour in Cozumel and set the pace of our day.

We did an excursion with Carnival in Mo Bay because we were worried about safety. It was pricey and packed with passengers. In hindsight, I wish I used Shoretrips instead as we were nothing but comfortable with the guides in the other ports.

Going on the Magic this next October and I'm booking a parasail excursion with them in Mo Bay. It includes transportation and time at Dr. Cave Beach.

I'm having the most difficult time trying to figure out what to do in Montego Bay!

It seems like every single tour includes a stop at Margaritaville. I have no desire to go to Jamaica and stop at Margaritaville. Doctors Cave beach sounds nice but again it seems like everyone goes there and every tour stops there so its sure to be EXTREMELY crowded. Don't really want to do an all inclusive resort because I'm doing something similar in Cozumel. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I might just book with Dreamer Catamaran's and call it a day. It includes quite a bit of snorkeling.

We have been to MoBay twice and used Barrett Adventures both times. Had GREAT Service from them. The owner Carolyn Barrett was there to meet us the first time when we got off the cruise ship. She is from the USA and is married to a local now. Check out their web site for more information. BARRETTADVENTURES.COM

Just got back, went to Doctor's Caves Beach. Nice beach, was not that crowded. Entry fee, beach chairs and umbrellas are $5.00 each. Reasonably priced drinks (and strong) and good food. We had the jerk chicken with rice and peas (beans). It was very good. We

were never bothered or approached by anyone on the beach.

We used the hop on and off bus. Carnival runs it now and you pay at the pier with your sea pass, $19 pp. DO NOT use this if you want to only go to the beach. We had to ride about 40 minutes out to the shops at Rose Hall first, then back track to the beach. Just take a cab, $10 each way I think. I talked to people that did and they were fine, just don't let them talk you into a different beach.

I just got back today off of the Magic. Before we left I booked a private tour with Courtney Taylor tours. We wanted to do our own thing. Our tour ended up being about 7 hours total and for four of us in our own van it was $195.00 total. Our driver (Tony Henry) was great and was very knowledgeable about the history of Jamaica. Courtney Taylor was very prompt in answering my emails before we left and we were very pleased with the overall experience.

Steve

Like several others, we did Doctors Cave Beach 2 weeks ago on Magic. We took the taxis for $20 (5 of us) they stopped at Aquasol to let another couple out and tried to sell it was the fun place to be, but it looked sketchy to us. We went on to Doctors Cave. It was $5 each, plus the chairs and umbrella. The people werent the most friendly at the entrance, but on the beach they were nice.

We snorkeled there and saw LOTS of fish. You just go out past the trampoline things. THere is a small reef that had many different types of fish. We enjoyed it, and then finished with lunch at the Sand Bar cafe right on the beach. The food was pretty good and the drinks Strong! and least the rum punch was - WOW! We walked and shopped just a bit, and then caught a taxi back. They are a bit aggressive, but we survived. Nothing to scary.

I'm having the most difficult time trying to figure out what to do in Montego Bay!

It seems like every single tour includes a stop at Margaritaville. I have no desire to go to Jamaica and stop at Margaritaville. Doctors Cave beach sounds nice but again it seems like everyone goes there and every tour stops there so its sure to be EXTREMELY crowded. Don't really want to do an all inclusive resort because I'm doing something similar in Cozumel. Decisions, decisions, decisions...

I might just book with Dreamer Catamaran's and call it a day. It includes quite a bit of snorkeling.

SHOOT! I just looked up Dreamer Catamaran - looks AWESOME - but no Wed AM sailing and that's when we're in Montego!! :( Thanks though - keep the suggestions coming please!!! :D

We have been to MoBay twice and used Barrett Adventures both times. Had GREAT Service from them. The owner Carolyn Barrett was there to meet us the first time when we got off the cruise ship. She is from the USA and is married to a local now. Check out their web site for more information. BARRETTADVENTURES.COM

Thank you, I have emailed them!!!

I just got back today off of the Magic. Before we left I booked a private tour with Courtney Taylor tours. We wanted to do our own thing. Our tour ended up being about 7 hours total and for four of us in our own van it was $195.00 total. Our driver (Tony Henry) was great and was very knowledgeable about the history of Jamaica. Courtney Taylor was very prompt in answering my emails before we left and we were very pleased with the overall experience.

Steve

I'll check it out, thanks so much!

SHOOT! I just looked up Dreamer Catamaran - looks AWESOME - but no Wed AM sailing and that's when we're in Montego!! :( Thanks though - keep the suggestions coming please!!! :D

Don't get me wrong, it is what you make of it. I LOVED cruising around the bay laying out on the mesh canopies at the front of the catamaran. And there are lots of fish to be seen snorkeling.

I just felt herded and rushed especially when we only had time to hit the restroom and go down the slide at our "lunch stop" at MargaritaVille. Also the "Open Bar" is pre-mixed Rum Punch and Red Stripe beer.

Returned from magic a few wks ago. Mont bay...least fav stop. Went to drs cave...meh, wasnt impressed. Way too crowded, rude pushy vendors approached us even in the water! Went to margville...had medocre overpriced food with extremely crappy service. My fav part tho was the ride on the hop on hop off bus. Next time i will just do some sort of private tour that includes a tour of the area. I was too disappointed with drs cave.

We also like Doctor's Cave! We took a taxi from the port (paid about $25 bucks for six of us). I didn't look into lockers as we just rented a few chairs and umbrellas and set up camp on the beach. Fun day! There were lots of people, but it was still enjoyable.

After we left the beach we walked a bit down the street and ate at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville. (We love Jimmy B. and try to hit all of the restaurant locations!) The Montego Bay location has a big slide in to the ocean ~ so fun!

Enjoy your day!

do some tripadvisor snooping and find where you want to snorkel

then for a private tour - and go perhaps to places where others are not lucky enough to go

you can call our longtime friend kenny salmon

we just got back yesterday from our 4th land based vacation using him ------- scott and KimMarley LOL

(8 7 6) 3 8 4 1 3 7 1

kennyjamaica at gmail dot com

If Not - always remember to only hire JUTA red plate govt taxi for anywhere

Archived