which dock in Stockholm? and Vasa question

tropicalkerry2002

If you've dona an O Baltic cruise, could you help answer these questions?

Does O always use the same dock in Stockholm...there seems to be 2 docks mentioned in threads I read: Stadsgarden and Frihamnen. I'd like to book a transfer to the ship from our hotel, and need to know which dock we will be at.

And...is Vasa accessible by both land and water? Is it possible to walk to it from Gamla Stan area, or is it too far?

Thanks!

If you've dona an O Baltic cruise, could you help answer these questions?

Does O always use the same dock in Stockholm...there seems to be 2 docks mentioned in threads I read: Stadsgarden and Frihamnen. I'd like to book a transfer to the ship from our hotel, and need to know which dock we will be at.

And...is Vasa accessible by both land and water? Is it possible to walk to it from Gamla Stan area, or is it too far?

Thanks!

The docks that are used are never written in stone until the day that the ship arrives in that harbor, however, the dock that they anticipate using will be included in the Cruise Information (blue) booklet that you will receive at 5 to 6 weeks out.

Stockholm has one of the best Taxi systems in the World, most drivers speak excellent English and all of the cars are equipped to take credit card payments, so I don't know that I would bother with booking a Transfer in advance, unless you are sailing on a holiday or occasion of some sort, when transportation will be at a premium.

The Vasa Museum is nowhere near Gamla Stan (just less than 4 Kilometers by car) . I'm not sure what you mean by "accessible by water", but it is about a twenty minute walk from the sea...

Hope that this helped, enjoy your trip

The HOHO boat does stop at Vasa and at Gamla Stan. The Vasa is best early morning as it gets crowded late morning and mid day. We took a local bus from the pier to the Vasa, got there shortly after it opened and left maybe 90 minutes later. It was empty when we got there and very crowded when we left. We took the HOHO boat, which departs directly behind the Vasa, to Gamla Stan. Very easy and a nice ride.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341759478.423533.jpg.68e1948bc2dd2d99cf0573966165abbd.jpg

If you take the bus there is a bus ticket vending machine across the street from the port entrance (assuming you're at Frihamnen). Easy to use, takes credit cards. You can not buy tickets on the bus.

Taxis in Stockholm are easy but certain companies are better than others. Go on the Trip Advisor Stockholm forum and do a search for taxis and you'll be able to find which taxis you should use and which to avoid.

Stockholm has one of the best Taxi systems in the World, most drivers speak excellent English and all of the cars are equipped to take credit card payments, so I don't know that I would bother with booking a Transfer in advance, unless you are sailing on a holiday or occasion of some sort, when transportation will be at a premium.

This is all true, except that the taxi line after disembarkation is very long (unless you are one of the first few to get off).

If time is of essence (or you dislike standing in a long line), then pre-arranging a transfer is a good idea.

This is all true, except that the taxi line after disembarkation is very long (unless you are one of the first few to get off).

If time is of essence (or you dislike standing in a long line), then pre-arranging a transfer is a good idea.

10 € to the Porters has the same effect, Paul...... without the angst of waiting for "your" car. ;)

10 € to the Porters has the same effect, Paul...... without the angst of waiting for "your" car. ;)

Do you mean "jumping the taxi line" with the help of a porter? You may get "jumped" yourself by some unhappy person waiting patiently in line for his/her turn :D

I think if you pre-arrange for a hired car, they will be there - I've done that without a problem and without angst.

Is easy. We were there last month. Our ship docked at Frihamnen, so I preordered a taxi to our hotel, the Radisson Blu Waterfront near the Central Train station, with Taxi Stockholm. They were there at 9:00 on the dot, and charged $ 29.19 with tip included. Can charge to your CC if you tell the driver when you get in. There are other reliable taxi services in Stockholm but there are some "unreliable" ones too, so google "taxi service in Stockholm" and you'll get a list of the good ones. Taxi Stockholm is all over.

We also preordered a Stockholm card for the three days of our visit, from the visitors bureau. It included total access to the train, metro and bus transit in Stockholm, but not the independent operations like Hop On Hop Off. It also includes admissions to many of the expensive attractions like the Vasa, Skansen, the palaces. All we did was show our card to get on the transit. Took a tram out to the Vasa and Skansen from the center of the city. You can take a HOHO boat, but you will have to travel on their schedule. Since we didn't want to wait for the next boat, we took the tram.

Vasa was very busy the day we were there, but it was a national holiday (the "white nights" period.) There was a long line outside but it moved along pretty fast so we were in after about 20 minutes and it was well worth it. See some of the films about the Vasa, and then go to the balcony area near the wall on floor 4 or so, to see INSIDE the ship. We waited until the end to go up there and that was one of the best parts! This was my husband's favorite sight in Stockholm, which was interesting since I did all the trip planning and had to practically drag him there. Boy was he glad!

Thanks for the great info!

I have already booked Taxi Stockholm for a ride from airport to hotel(Rival). We arrive on a Fri afternoon, and sail on Sunday, so only have one full day to see the sites. I plan to have us at Vasa when it opens at 10 AM on the Sat, and then was going to do the HOHO, but just found out it only runs till 4 PM! So after 2 hours in Vasa, that's not much worth it!

I will google Stockholm card, and perhaps we can get one on the Friday good for 48 hours, and use it to get around. If I can't find info, I'll be back asking for your help!

many thanks again!

Marian

I doubt that you need two hours at the Vasa museum. I felt we did a very good job of seeing almost every thing there in less than an hour.

I disagree completely, I could have easily spent several days.

vasa.jpg

History, Engineering, geology even Marine Biology; the Vasa museum is fascinating on so many levels.

Thanks for the great info!

I have already booked Taxi Stockholm for a ride from airport to hotel(Rival). We arrive on a Fri afternoon, and sail on Sunday, so only have one full day to see the sites. I plan to have us at Vasa when it opens at 10 AM on the Sat, and then was going to do the HOHO, but just found out it only runs till 4 PM! So after 2 hours in Vasa, that's not much worth it!

I will google Stockholm card, and perhaps we can get one on the Friday good for 48 hours, and use it to get around. If I can't find info, I'll be back asking for your help!

many thanks again!

Marian

Here is a good start for Stockholm exploration:

http://www.visitstockholm.com/en/To-Do/Tips/Stockholm-Top-10/

Whatever you do, do not miss a tour of the City Hall!

Enjoy this beautiful city.

Archived