Cabin selection

We are a family of 4: mom, dad, son 5, son 6, and will be going on our 1st family cruise July 2013. My husband and I have been on 5 cruises on RC ships. We are excited to take our boys on their 1st cruise. :D We are planning on going on the Jewel. We have not cruised on a Radience Class ship before. We have stayed in a balcony, ocean view, and the pramanade rooms. I know the Jewel does not have pramanade rooms so they are out.

We are torn between the inside cabin or a balcony. With a family of 4 we aren't sure what would be best. It doesn't seem like the balcony gives us that much more square footage. It is also $800 more. We can't decide if saving the $800 and putting it toward excursions or just booking the balcony would be better. Please help us decide.

Thanks!

Very personal decision. We have always had balcony rooms when our kids were sharing staterooms with us. Other than when we split cabins with them - inside for them (promenade), balcony for us - we've never had an inside cabin. So having no experience there, I can't comment other than we would not prefer an inside. For us, the vew and the option to sit outside was a preferred - especially with more than just the two of us in the room. We've also had outside family staterooms that offer more space but not the balcony - on Jewel in fact. It is a matter of comfort, personal preferences, and budget.

Sounds like you are doing a S. Car. itinerary (we are on Brilliance in March '13 for a S. Car.) That is a great itinerary - and it is also rather port intensive. Which means a lot of off-ship time. If the stateroom is just a place to sleep, then maybe the inside won't matter as much. But if coming into or sailing out of the ports is something you would want to watch from your room, then the balcony would be the choice.

Again - it is a personal choice. All I can offer is our experience and opinion which would have us choosing the balcony. BTW - Jewel is on of my favorite ships - I think you'll like it. (But then I like all the RCI ship classes we've been on!)

Archived